Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucisawesome View Post
I guess because he blames everything including stealing her jewelry on his addiction. And he says that he will go to rehab, change, and become a preacher. Also this reasoning is why I have given him so many chances. But to my mom, she thinks he can't change and even if he did, she is done with him. Now that is the honest answer. But I'm not sure if she is overreacting.
And why do you think he stole?

What has he done to indicate to you that he will change for the better?

What steps has he taken?

Why would your mother's reaction be unfounded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:30 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
LEAVE him and bring your mom some flowers for her great advise.

I was with a drug addict. He didn't steal and he didn't cheat. Cheating is not part of the disease.

Your bf is not just an addict, he is a full blown douche. Seriously.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 PM

389 posts, read 426,780 times
I dont think your mom is overreacting. He stole from her!!! Why are you still with him?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Quote:
I need some honest advice at this stressful moment in my life. For the past 2.5 years, I have been involved with a guy who has not been the best person. I think that to fully explain my situation, I should share some of the things about him and some things we have been through in the past 2.5 years. Let’s call him Jim and I’ll be Ann. 1 – Jim left me(Ann) sitting outside of a hotel room for 2-3 hours while Jim was in another room with another woman. Jim had my car keys and our room key. After he came out, I found sexy photos of the other woman on his phone. Jim said he didn’t do anything and we stayed together. 2- Jim can't keep a job, didn’t graduate high school, he smokes weed, and from time to time he does heroin and crack. 3- Jim has been physically abusive to me and has stolen money from me numerous times. 4- Jim had a pregnancy scare where he thought he got another woman pregnant. Jim and I were still together at this time. 5- I saw on Jim’s Facebook that he was messaging another woman. I was able to trick the other woman into texting me, thinking that she was actually texting Jim. While acting like Jim, I told the other woman that I was really drunk and asked if we had sex. The lady is foreign and responded with, “We sleeping together. So?” But Jim denies that he is messing with this other woman. I have also heard from other people that he has cheated on me at other times. I think that is enough background….

It is hard for me to cut Jim out of my life. Jim doesn’t have much going on and I can’t really name any good things about our relationship. But Jim always tells me that he is going to go to rehab and become a preacher, how God really wants Jim and me to be together, and that we have been through so much because the devil doesn’t want Jim and me to be together. Jim says stuff that I want to hear, but I have been waiting 2.5 years for him to change and become this person. Also, Jim doesn’t even go to church. I have a friend who has said that there are things in my relationship that resemble emotional abuse like Invalidation, Gaslighting, Stockholm Syndrome, and Mean-Sweet Cycle. However I have to take what my friend says with a grain of salt because I know he likes me.….

Now to add more to the equation, my mom hates Jim. Over a year and a half ago, Jim had nowhere to live and my mom invited him to come live with my mom and me. While living with us, Jim cussed out my mom and stole my mom wedding rings and other jewelry. Jim denied this for 6 months and my mom thought that she just misplaced the jewelry. Well one night I was able to get Jim to admit to stealing the jewelry. My mom is a Christian, and she says that she forgives him, but that she can’t forget what Jim has done, and she doesn’t want me around him. For the past 10 months, I have been seeing Jim behind my families back, but for the past 2 weeks I haven’t been trying to call it off (I called it off because of the situation explained in #5). So I have been avoiding him, but he is trying to make up.

I am writing this because I want people’s honest opinions to these questions and/or my situation, no matter how harsh. Is my mom overreacting by wanting me not to be around him? Should I forgive him again? What is your overall opinion of my situation and what advice do you have?

Is this for real????

Old 07-18-2015, 01:07 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
So what happens to that part of your brain that is able to clearly type out all the bad things Jim does when you are with Jim? Does it just go into a coma state and is inaccessible?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:27 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
I am writing this because I want people’s honest opinions to these questions and/or my situation, no matter how harsh. Is my mom overreacting by wanting me not to be around him? Should I forgive him again? What is your overall opinion of my situation and what advice do you have?
The one thing I can't figure out is what use you have for him at all? Don't you think you can perhaps do better?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You want people on the internet to tell you how pathetic you are ("tell me more! no matter how harsh! Punish me!!!!")

I wonder what people get out of this kind of trolling? I hope studies are being done.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:26 AM

745 posts, read 801,562 times
I find it absolutely amazing that for the longest time I had zero luck finding a loyal, caring companion... all the while there are tons of women out there staying in abusive relationships with guys who don't love them

Old 07-28-2015, 06:34 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
I find it absolutely amazing that for the longest time I had zero luck finding a loyal, caring companion... all the while there are tons of women out there staying in abusive relationships with guys who don't love them
It's a shameful mess, isn't it. OP could find someone so much better then that one. But then, there are those people who seek out the kinds of personalities that feed their insecurities etc. Her "comfort zone" so to speak. Maybe why the Op does not see the negative side of that person. We all do, because she should us that side.
We know her mother is NOT overreacting to the situation. I am a mother of adult children also. But at this point, all I can offer to them is my opinion, and support...if warranted.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Why do you think you are unlovable?

Because you have GOT to believe you are scum of the earth to put up with a guy like that. That you're worthless and no good guy would like you.

Go explore that. I doubt it's really true and that you're probably a nice person who just thinks very poorly of herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships