Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:26 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times

Advertisements

I'd be suspicious but I guess it works for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:10 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
I complete evaluations on the elderly. Most indicate they began courtship and were married a year after they met. These folks were married from 40-67 years. The only thing that got in the way was death. Marriage requires commitment. These folks would do the same thing with anyone else - they did not need the 'right' man or woman, the 'right' feelings, or the 'right' anything. It just requires commitment.

So much for the new generation ideas. Anecdotes can follow anyone, of a person marrying after so much time and divorcing. From what I see, it seems to be just fine if you desire to maintain a connection. I have seen this among many in this generation as well, from different walks of life. It just takes commitment.

People disparage arranged marriages. This is something else that requires commitment, and the idea that your partner will NOT be your 'all-in-all.' Marriage is not necessarily about love, it is about commitment. Let the disagreements begin.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:23 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
Lets be honest. It takes a year or more before you even really know who the person is and not who they are pretending to be.
Bad idea.
Lol..by the time I knew my husband for a year we were married for 8 months and we're about to have our planned kid...still married after 22 years.

You may pretend...not everyone does.

However if one is not spot on sure they should take as much time as they need...but let's be honest (to use your phrase)....not everyone needs that much time.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It stands to reason that it takes longer to know some people than it does others, and for some, it takes longer to be known.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
I complete evaluations on the elderly. Most indicate they began courtship and were married a year after they met. These folks were married from 40-67 years. The only thing that got in the way was death. Marriage requires commitment. These folks would do the same thing with anyone else - they did not need the 'right' man or woman, the 'right' feelings, or the 'right' anything. It just requires commitment.

So much for the new generation ideas. Anecdotes can follow anyone, of a person marrying after so much time and divorcing. From what I see, it seems to be just fine if you desire to maintain a connection. I have seen this among many in this generation as well, from different walks of life. It just takes commitment.

People disparage arranged marriages. This is something else that requires commitment, and the idea that your partner will NOT be your 'all-in-all.' Marriage is not necessarily about love, it is about commitment. Let the disagreements begin.
Take off your rose colored glasses...many of those marriages only lasted that long because there were no options...especially forvwomen.

Arranged marriages work out in certain situations....but not when young women are treated as pawns, barging tools and simply chattel.....many only last because there are no other options.

Yes...marriage is about love...but love survives the hard times when it's there in the first place.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:02 PM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband swears he knew a month in that we'd get married. But, like a sane person, he waited to see how the relationship was going to pan out and took the time for us to know one another better and weather a few intense situations together, including a health/surgical situation.

My parents have been married for 43 years, however, and got engaged after knowing one another six weeks. It happens.
what she said ^^

Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Is it good to propose to a woman after just ONE month of DATING?
If you're the person considering it, ask yourself what your reason is.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
So .... OP has started these threads in quick succession:

- What would you do if you saw a couple having sex in the office?
- How would you react to a 60-year old woman marrying a 20 something year old man?
- When a woman tells you that you're the complete package
- If you knew that your friend's boyfriend was cheating on her, would you tell her or keep it secret?

Pining for the $500 prize perhaps? Or perhaps the TV is stuck on the Lifetime Network.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:16 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
my parents married a month and a half after meeting, they were married 53 years, until he passed away 4 years ago.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:41 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Is it good to propose to a woman after just ONE month of DATING?
No.

That's just straight up freaking psycho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships