Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Yes, they are facing this reality today. That or getting alot of cats to keep them company. Stats to keep in mind - only 40% of men get to pass on their genes, women think that 80% of men are below average looking. haha
Is that 40% in the US or 40% worldwide? I ask because there are a lot of cultures that practice polygamy in the world (about 1/3) and that would mean something different than if these numbers are for the US alone.

I saw the 80% think men are below average looking thing. Think it was an OKC poll. I always find that kind of funny (in a sad sort of way). On the bright side, they still date the men even if they think they are ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
jHey, gang, don't you just love these stats picked out of thin air? Kinda like that chart that showed that 12-year-olds were as sexually appealing to men as 21-year-olds, and that 14 was the pinnacle of female attractiveness for men?

This is the Fantasyland ride. Enjoy your weekend, all.
That isnt what the chart showed, but dont let the facts cloud your judgment. Im sure on planet Ruth, there are only statistics that dont hurt anyones feelings. The rest are banned. haha

Old 07-31-2015, 01:39 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,090 times
I guess something must be wrong with me. I never dated someone just because they made a good income or inherited alot of money (although I have known women who have as well as men who have married women who had wealthy parents). I also never liked the usage of dating "up" or "down". That implication to me is that I am better or worse than others. I am not "better" or "worse" than anyone else...just different.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
That isnt what the chart showed, but dont let the facts cloud your judgment. Im sure on planet Ruth, there are only statistics that dont hurt anyones feelings. The rest are banned. haha
So-o-o, were you going to give us a source for that 40%-of-men-pass-on-their-genes stat, or is being snarky your only defense?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Is that 40% in the US or 40% worldwide? I ask because there are a lot of cultures that practice polygamy in the world (about 1/3) and that would mean something different than if these numbers are for the US alone.

I saw the 80% think men are below average looking thing. Think it was an OKC poll. I always find that kind of funny (in a sad sort of way). On the bright side, they still date the men even if they think they are ugly.
Its worldwide, based on 2004 study (read Wilder, J. A., Mobasher, Z., & Hammer, M. F. (2004). "Genetic evidence for unequal effective population sizes of human females and males". Molecular Biology and Evolution, 21, 2047-2057.) Based on the above, 80% of women and only 40% of all men reproduce or have reproduced in the past. That tells you alot of things if you spend time and think about it. From evolutionary perspective, winners are those who get to pass on their genes and losers are those who dont. I am not sure how this relates to polygamy really, but Im sure it plays a part. But what also plays a part is that women are only interested in top guys, and ignore the rest. I think today its even more visible than in the past. As for the 80% of guys are below average looking...hahaha, i guess some never learned what average means. Divorced from reality, is a better guess.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:52 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
So what exactly constitutes dating up or down and just who exactly and ultimately determines which party is dating up and which party dates down. What are the exact specifications and requirements to make such a determination.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Its worldwide, based on 2004 study (read Wilder, J. A., Mobasher, Z., & Hammer, M. F. (2004). "Genetic evidence for unequal effective population sizes of human females and males". Molecular Biology and Evolution, 21, 2047-2057.) Based on the above, 80% of women and only 40% of all men reproduce or have reproduced in the past. That tells you alot of things if you spend time and think about it. From evolutionary perspective, winners are those who get to pass on their genes and losers are those who dont. I am not sure how this relates to polygamy really, but Im sure it plays a part. But what also plays a part is that women are only interested in top guys, and ignore the rest. I think today its even more visible than in the past. As for the 80% of guys are below average looking...hahaha, i guess some never learned what average means. Divorced from reality, is a better guess.
Really because that would mean one man "married to" 50 women, one man reproducing with 50 women, multiply that by hundreds of thousands. You don't see how that would affect the statistic.

So if if 80% of women are reproducing with 40% of men soon we would become quite inbreed, if you spend time thinking about it.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:29 PM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
This is interesting to me. I do think that there is some kind of a ranking system, but I'm not sure that it can be defined with concrete criteria like this. My experience has always been that after a few days or weeks of interaction, once the dust settles on a new love-thing, the people find a role as chaser and chasee. One is just into the other, all about them. The other meh, not so much. And this, whatever causes this, gives one person power and takes power from the other. Thus they are ranked. It's not about beauty, and it's not about looks. It might be about who can keep their cool and not let it show that they are utterly smitten. I may need to learn how to play this game. Seems as soon as I run hot on a man, start feeding his ego, he can be a chubby middle aged nerd or a cute but destitute homeless pirate who lives in my basement, and either way, he'll cool off quick. If I'm not all that into a guy though, he will chase and chase. I suppose our needy behaviors lower us in the eyes of others, and the more you put someone on a pedestal, the more they look down upon you. This was definitely the deal in my marriage, only I was ranked way up at the top and my ex was inferior. Even by his own admission. He used to call me the "officer" and he was the "NCO."

I don't think it's a happy thing to have this inequality in the dynamic of a relationship. Seems to lead to a lot of hurt. I'd say that dating "up" or "down" doesn't end well either way, sooner or later...and I dream of dating laterally one day. I hate that it seems I may need to learn how to play games and pretend not to be that into a guy so as not to be perceived as the lesser partner and deserving of contempt, but that's how it seems to go.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Really because that would mean one man "married to" 50 women, one man reproducing with 50 women, multiply that by hundreds of thousands. You don't see how that would affect the statistic.

So if if 80% of women are reproducing with 40% of men soon we would become quite inbreed, if you spend time thinking about it.
I dont exactly understand your comment about a man married to 50 women, it doesn't make any sense. As forr the rest, thats exactly what the study shows, based on DNA evidence. Take the time to read it and youll get it. (hopefully).

Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 PM

576 posts, read 824,325 times
I will not settle ...I enjoy being single more than I do settling for a man I lack the spark with...I am not looking a male model or a mufti-millionaire or a brad pitt (or whoever the standard is now...chris hemsworth??) look alike

The just have to be a strong MUTUAL Chemistry with a person who is also COMPATIBLE and moreover, SINGLE.which is hard to find
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships