Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:31 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
How much use would it be to contact US Senators though? AM itself is a foreign company and I don't know if we know where the hackers are. If they are foreign too, then would it even fall under US laws/jurisdiction?
Sorry .. Perhaps I was not clear.

Your comment about our government actions in regards to your privacy is an opinion (valid as it may be) that can be voiced to your senator.

However....

That is quite different from clearly breaking the law.

I think is particularly interesting that you care so much about your privacy post 9/11 yet have little regard to other's people's privacy simply because you don't agree with their views/actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM

474 posts, read 384,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Now that is an opinion..... I think you should write your senator and voice your sentiment.
Not really. It's not like to U.S. Government has been coy about their homeland surveillance practices.

I actually did contact and report robodialers (FCC, not a senator) a few years back and there was a subsequent crackdown on some big offenders.

Quote:
The law makes the action illegal regardless of the underlying content of the systems that were breeched.
Yeah. And your point is? I kinda see it like the human trafficker that gets hit by a drunk driver. If the driver gets caught, he's getting prosecuted, but I'd still smile every time I saw a video of him plowing into that piece of s___. The Ashley Madison venture was still garbage all around.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
No! These hackers are criminals.
Cheating is not a criminal American.
I don't dispute that what they did was criminal. They may or may not be held accountable. My point is that there is often justification in actions that we generally consider to be unacceptable or immoral. I'm sure a lot of folks see these hackers as heroes, despite the fact that what they did was illegal. And a lot of people cheat because they actually have reason.

They were scammed, both with fake profiles and the permanent deletion service than never was. It is also wasteful that so many were outed when they really should not have been. But AM is just one site. There are tons more with married people on them. And that is a sign that something is terribly wrong. Instead of foaming at the mouth and demonizing these people, we should consider the cause. It could be that our expectations may be somewhat unreasonable given the realities of human nature and relationships.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I don't dispute that what they did was criminal. They may or may not be held accountable. My point is that there is often justification in actions that we generally consider to be unacceptable or immoral. I'm sure a lot of folks see these hackers as heroes, despite the fact that what they did was illegal. And a lot of people cheat because they actually have reason.

They were scammed, both with fake profiles and the permanent deletion service than never was. It is also wasteful that so many were outed when they really should not have been. But AM is just one site. There are tons more with married people on them. And that is a sign that something is terribly wrong. Instead of foaming at the mouth and demonizing these people, we should consider the cause. It could be that our expectations may be somewhat unreasonable given the realities of human nature and relationships.

We're also making the (very poor) assumption that people on this site were cheating.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
Yeah. And your point is? I kinda see it like the human trafficker that gets hit by a drunk driver. If the driver gets caught, he's getting prosecuted, but I'd still smile every time I saw a video of him plowing into that piece of s___. The Ashley Madison venture was still garbage all around.
My point is, there is a larger implication to these actions which you fail to realize.

As to your analogy.

Human trafficker should be prosecuted for human trafficking.

Drunk driver should be prosecuted for drunk driving.

We shouldn't reward the drunk driver for hitting a human trafficker. He was still driving drunk and endangering the lives all those around him.

I fail to see you point?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:39 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sorry .. Perhaps I was not clear.

Your comment about our government actions in regards to your privacy is an opinion (valid as it may be) that can be voiced to your senator.

However....

That is quite different from clearly breaking the law.

I think is particularly interesting that you care so much about your privacy post 9/11 yet have little regard to other's people's privacy simply because you don't agree with their views/actions.
Oh, I think the hack is horrible. It concerns me greatly and I don't condone it. This hack, the hack of the State Department, of Blue Cross, countless Banks, all of it is troubling.

I think the best takeaway from this is to be very careful with your private information. And do what you can to protect it. I just heard a story on the news this morning about people using "unknown" free wifi to do banking... basically handing their information to anyone who sets up a wifi hotspot. Of course, even that can't be 100% when companies you use aren't secure (heck, even the government isn't secure).

I am at a loss for what can be done though. I think all of us (except a few wingnuts) agree that something should be done, but what? Aside from taking down all this online access and dialing things back to the 1980s.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:41 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We're also making the (very poor) assumption that people on this site were cheating.
Actually with the numbers... they weren't. It could have been men just "window shopping" and getting a emotional thrill (not full blown sexual cheating). So you are right that it's a poor assumption.

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not sure what you mean. As in they didn't actually get the chance or people who were there for other reasons totally unrelated?

Quote:
My point is that there is often justification in actions that we generally consider to be unacceptable or immoral.
There is never a justification for denying rights to an entity or individual based on someone's definition of morality.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Actually with the numbers... they weren't. It could have been men just "window shopping" and getting a emotional thrill (not full blown sexual cheating). So you are right that it's a poor assumption.

That. Or they were in open relationships. Or they were single and looking for the thrill of hooking up with a married person.

I feel bad for those, especially those, that signed up when single, and now may be in a relationship, and have now been exposed. There is no time stamp on this.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. As in they didn't actually get the chance or people who were there for other reasons totally unrelated?
My point is that a lot of people on here probably weren't in committed monogamous relationships, and therefore not cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships