Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:17 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times

Advertisements

I'll start out by saying I'm not cheating on anyone nor have I ever, so I'm not looking to justify any behaviour. Also I'm 27, male, if it matters. Anyway, I'm just wondering about why people find it such a serious thing. I don't think I've ever been cheated on before (ie. a partner having sex with someone without my knowledge) but truthfully I don't think it'd bother me. I've always thought this, even after a childhood where my father cheated on my mother repeatedly before finally leaving her for good.

I mean, I'd prefer my partner not to 'cheat' but the only thing I'd be mad about is the possibility of being unknowlingly exposed to some sexual disease. The thought of a partner engaging in the actual physical act with someone else does not upset me. What would bother me is the worry that this partner is then going to go off and have a relationship with the third party and leave me all alone. However, the impression I get is that the actual act of sex etc. itself is a major thing to other people. I'm wondering why.

If you google it you'll find people saying things like 'It's a betrayal' and so on, but they never say why, just state that it is. I actually think it could be healthy for a relationship; I bet fewer marriages would end in divorce if the husband or wife could occasionally have a bit of variety. In fact I'd go as far as saying that the ultimate sign of someone being secure in their relationship is that they'd be comfortable with their partner having sex with someone else, knowing they'd still be with you you and love you. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:21 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
Come back to us when it happens to you.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
If you google it you'll find people saying things like 'It's a betrayal' and so on, but they never say why, just state that it is. I actually think it could be healthy for a relationship; I bet fewer marriages would end in divorce if the husband or wife could occasionally have a bit of variety. In fact I'd go as far as saying that the ultimate sign of someone being secure in their relationship is that they'd be comfortable with their partner having sex with someone else, knowing they'd still be with you you and love you. What say you?
YOu need to be in an open relationship, then. In a relationship where there's an expectation of sexual and emotional exclusivity, one partner having sex with someone else is breaking the rules. That's why it's deceit and betrayal.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Come back to us when it happens to you.
Perfect example of what I was talking about. Just told that it's bad, no explanation why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
YOu need to be in an open relationship, then. In a relationship where there's an expectation of sexual and emotional exclusivity, one partner having sex with someone else is breaking the rules. That's why it's deceit and betrayal.
And for some additional information, I'm in a long distance relationship that became 'open' a couple of months ago, and my girfriend did have sex with someone else, and no, I'm not affected by knowing that. After she did that I also had sex with someone else, but that did bother her.

I suppose what I'm really asking is, why is that exclusivity so important to people?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:26 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This.

Either that, or just remain single and have sex with as many people as you want.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:27 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Cheating is the ultimate betrayal in a relationship. It causes pain, anger, and bitterness.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
It's a breach of trust....plain and simple. If you have no problem being cheated on...,,good luck.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Perfect example of what I was talking about. Just told that it's bad, no explanation why.

And for some additional information, I'm in a long distance relationship that became 'open' a couple of months ago, and my girfriend did have sex with someone else, and no, I'm not affected by knowing that. After she did that I also had sex with someone else, but that did bother her.

I suppose what I'm really asking is, why is that exclusivity so important to people?
An open relationship is totally different.

If you were ever cheated on, you would know why. The explanation that you're looking for?

You find out that the person you love enough to give your whole self to has been lying to you. The 'being with someone else" is not actually as bad as the anger that comes from finding out they have been lying to you about where they were and how they felt.

Then there's the embarrassment of thinking back to remember what you were doing while they were cheating. You feel like a fool.

The "sex with someone else," as you imagine her with another guy who wasn't necessarily ok with you, only makes the anger and pain from the lying hurt that much worse.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:31 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Because they are emotionally invested in a monogamous relationship which is normal in my opinion. If a person isn't at least a little upset that they found their partner cheating on them I would think they really didn't care about their partner that much IMHO.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:34 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Because they are emotionally invested in a monogamous relationship which is normal in my opinion. If a person isn't at least a little upset that they found their partner cheating on them I would think they really didn't care about their partner that much IMHO.
Pretty much.....if you have no actual emotions about a person you are in a relationship with....who cares what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships