Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:44 PM

119 posts, read 106,473 times

Advertisements

I’m 29 years old live in San Francisco and I never had a girlfriend before. I signed up to dating sites POF and OkCupid and had no luck with women on any of those sites. No messages but once in a while I will get a view. When I was in college my luck with girls was never good either. I tried asking out a couple of Asian girls but just never worked. So I gave up and tried online dating but still no luck. So I decided to try international dating. Since then I got quite of few views from women in different parts of the world. Most of my views came from Eastern Europe and few from the Philippines. I had few views from Western Europe as well. Women on there seem more risk takers and willing to message the man first unlike in America where the woman always wants you to message her. I’m surprised to get few messages from women in Russia because I thought they would on be interested in men who are white. I’m a mixed person I have some Latin, western European in me along with Indian. My skin is brown to olive tone.

For several months I been talking to a woman from Eastern Europe and we seem to connect and I feel a bit excited knowing that someone least have interest in me or potentially likes me. The only issue is well she way over there and I’m way over here. I have been saving to take a trip to go visit her and go on few dates and see how it goes. It would be my first date I ever had. I guess nearing 30 I may as well just go and give it a shot. I guess if it gets serious I can bring her to America.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Si.

Actually, you are looking at different cultures, upbringings and long distances.

Hope it works for you

Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Going to Eastern Europe or Southeast Asia to meet women is an excellent idea. If you have the money for that, why not? You may well find what you're looking for.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:04 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
If you are looking foreign, how do you know your not being used?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:10 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If you are looking foreign, how do you know your not being used?
Isn't everyone "being used" to some extent any time they pair up? That fact shouldn't necessarily preclude an exciting, satisfying even loving relationship.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Look up differences of culture to get a better understanding... you can lookup the country plus "expat" for some people's blogs and experiences of living in those countries.

I was in a 2 year relationship with a woman that was born and raised in Russia during the later part of the Soviet era. We definitely did have a few misunderstandings in part due to differences in culture and language. We work through them and we laughed about it later on. She was strong, independent, and brutally honest.... a bit stubborn. Yet... extremely loyal and passionate. Fully expected herself to be the core of the family while her husband be the protector and provider. There were times that my attempts at being romantic got mistaken for "American neediness". lol. I still miss how she would gently touch my face with her hand.. show a warm smile... all the while chiding me for having one too many beers.

Years after our relationship ended (we had a friendship for decade plus later), I ran across this site and found a lot of parallels.

The Russian Mind-Set::Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians

* Don't expect it easier or harder dating a foreign woman versus an American. It is all the same.. just different. Relationships require work... lots of it at times.

* Don't expect that issues you have with women are going to matter less when dating a foreign woman.

* One major difference is that I met my GF when she was already on US soil... she had already made a life for herself here. You are meeting them through dating sites. For many on those sites, the primary goal is to better their life situation... if that means marrying someone they don't care for... so be it. Don't expect an Eastern European woman to submissive or passive... I hear these stories a few times... one just popped up here.

Here's a link to a relevant thread. Read it... and read it again. Its about a guy who is basically getting cleaned out by his mail order bride...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ver-there.html

Last edited by usayit; 10-01-2015 at 09:22 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Look up differences of culture to get a better understanding... you can lookup the country plus "expat" for some people's blogs and experiences of living in those countries.

I was in a 2 year relationship with a woman that was born and raised in Russia during the later part of the Soviet era. We definitely did have a few misunderstandings in part due to differences in culture and language. We work through them and we laughed about it later on. She was strong, independent, and brutally honest.... a bit stubborn. Yet... extremely loyal and passionate. Fully expected herself to be the core of the family while her husband be the protector and provider. There were times that my attempts at being romantic got mistaken for "American neediness". lol. I still miss how she would gently touch my face with her hand.. show a warm smile... all the while chiding me for having one too many beers.

Years after our relationship ended (we had a friendship for decade plus later), I ran across this site and found a lot of parallels.

The Russian Mind-Set::Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians

* Don't expect it easier or harder dating a foreign woman versus an American. It is all the same.. just different. Relationships require work... lots of it at times.

* Don't expect that issues you have with women are going to matter less when dating a foreign woman.

* One major difference is that I met my GF when she was already on US soil... she had already made a life for herself here. You are meeting them through dating sites. For many on those sites, the primary goal is to better their life situation... if that means marrying someone they don't care for... so be it. Don't expect an Eastern European woman to submissive or passive... I hear these stories a few times... one just popped up here.

Here's a link to a relevant thread. Read it... and read it again. Its about a guy who is basically getting cleaned out by his mail order bride...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ver-there.html
The site I met her on is not a mail order bride. Its a normal free dating site like POF or Okcupid. I would never do mail order bride because that feels like your buying a doll and not a actual human being. I don't think she is using me because we been in touch for nearly a year and I think any woman eager to leave her country would not want to wait around that long.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust225 View Post
The site I met her on is not a mail order bride. Its a normal free dating site like POF or Okcupid. I would never do mail order bride because that feels like your buying a doll and not a actual human being. I don't think she is using me because we been in touch for nearly a year and I think any woman eager to leave her country would not want to wait around that long.
I am not convinced its any different. Mail order brides also go through a vetting and dating process as well... it can take years. Despite the name... the process isnt all that different. Its a service connecting potential mates. Either way, you are a ticket to a potentially better life... whether or not that or love is the driving factor in her interst in you is up to you to figure out. You also wonder why not a husband in her own country.....

All th best of luck to you. To answer your question... yes. I would consider it.... but I would rather live in those countries and date than to use a service or dating site

Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM

388 posts, read 383,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust225 View Post

For several months I been talking to a woman from Eastern Europe and we seem to connect and I feel a bit excited knowing that someone least have interest in me or potentially likes me. The only issue is well she way over there and I’m way over here. I have been saving to take a trip to go visit her and go on few dates and see how it goes. It would be my first date I ever had. I guess nearing 30 I may as well just go and give it a shot. I guess if it gets serious I can bring her to America.
give it a go and you never know OP

Personally I see less cultural difference with globalisation and everything. You'll find out soon enough if you want to continue seeing her.

I tend to agree about foreign women wanting to better their lives. Eastern European women mature quicker and seem to know what they want even at a younger age. Don't be surprised if she is looking far ahead into the future. Just look out for red flags that she wants to rinse you. There's always that risk in dating any woman of any nationality.

Quote:
Isn't everyone "being used" to some extent any time they pair up? That fact shouldn't necessarily preclude an exciting, satisfying even loving relationship.
The right word is give and take. Being used is giving without getting any love and affection in return. It's not hard to figure out when you are being used for your money, house or green card. They withdraw the affection and act differently once they get it.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I am not convinced its any different. Mail order brides also go through a vetting and dating process as well... it can take years. Despite the name... the process isnt all that different. Its a service connecting potential mates. Either way, you are a ticket to a potentially better life... whether or not that or love is the driving factor in her interst in you is up to you to figure out. You also wonder why not a husband in her own country.....

All th best of luck to you. To answer your question... yes. I would consider it.... but I would rather live in those countries and date than to use a service or dating site
Not really. Mail order brides are expensive, men pay thousands for services. Often he brides need to have their language translated. Also mail order bridge websites only have women because is directed toward men to picking out a woman like she is a brand new car. I don't have to pay for interpreter because she can speak and write in English. Mail order brides men pay for interpreters. Mail order brides have nothing common with their man. Men who does mail order bride are using their wealth to buy love which never works. Its all bad.

The site I used to meet her is free and its not a marriage arrangement site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.