Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,616 times

Advertisements

I know some people believe there shouldn't be roles specific to one's gender "men mow the lawn, women cook" but when I read other threads about different topics there always seems to be a one sided contradiction.

Men are supposed to take the lead. Men are supposed to approach women . Men are supposed to pay because they asked the woman out.Men are supposed to be confident, aggressive, manly, etc. OK I agree with some of those beliefs to an extent.

NOW, I'd like to know what is the woman's role? Cook? Clean? Nope that's sexist and the men should do that too. So i'm curious what is the womans role and responsibilities in a relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:11 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,610 times
Maybe it depends on the relationship.

My boyfriend is everything you mentioned. He is confident, a leader, manly, he fixes thing for me, gives me advice, pays for all our dates, drives, gets doors for me, even makes sure he walks on the side near the street.

What do I do? Cook, bake, we don't live together so I don't clean for him though. But I bring him coffe when he's at my house or beer if it later. I give him full body massages, I listen to him talk about his day and help him unwind. I am nurturing and comforting.

But that's us and our relationship. I know other people who aren't like that and their roles aren't so defined as ours. Our way of doing things works for us and their way works for them. I think if you see contradiction maybe it's because a woman like me writes about her man and his roles and another woman who doesnt share my way of doing things or has a relationship different from writes about her relationship.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times

Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I know some people believe there shouldn't be roles specific to one's gender "men mow the lawn, women cook" but when I read other threads about different topics there always seems to be a one sided contradiction.

Men are supposed to take the lead. Men are supposed to approach women . Men are supposed to pay because they asked the woman out.Men are supposed to be confident, aggressive, manly, etc. OK I agree with some of those beliefs to an extent.

NOW, I'd like to know what is the woman's role? Cook? Clean? Nope that's sexist and the men should do that too. So i'm curious what is the womans role and responsibilities in a relationship?
Well, the things that you listed for men are things that you believe that women want from men (not that I agree with those things). So, what do you believe that men want from women?

In terms of relationships - it's isn't about right or wrong. It's about right or wrong for each other. A woman who wants a man to be the leader and to take care of her isn't going to be a good match for a man who wants the woman to be the leader and to take care of him. The amazing thing about relationships is that we get to choose who we get involved with. You can find the right fit for you!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:

Didn't you know that women only show up, look pretty, eat a free meal, refuse sex and find out what else you will give them.........

This topic has been beat to death, recently..........

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...have-give.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...free-days.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...learned-c.html

Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,582 times
Quote:

Lol, what CSD just said, in this feminism/gynocentric world, women have no damn role but to EXTRACT your entertainment and resources.

Go on any dating site, read any woman's magazine, or just listen to what women say they WANT in a men. The list is longer than a damn dissertation.

But turn around and ask those SAME women just what in the hell are they going to do for such man? Their response would be shorter than an Asian man's ____.

It just goes to show you, the game/market is rigged in favor of women, so either you go MGTOW NOW, or you will LATER once your credit card limits have been maxed out, you have been put in jail for not paying $50,000 a year in child support for an infant, you are STUCK with lifetime alimony, etc., etc., etc.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:25 PM

93 posts, read 75,159 times
Asking what role women have or what they "do" in a relationship... is kinda like asking the same thing about dogs.

Dogs don't really do anything specific either. But they are still fun to have around, they offer companionship and affection etc etc.

I think having a dog(or any pet) and having a girlfriend is very similar. You don't say "hey!? this dog never cooks and cleans, this relationship is soo one sided"... you take it for what it is. A girlfriend is a partner... someone to keep you from being lonely, like a dog.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:

So you can't force someone to do all the cleaning because of gender so you think they have no responsibility? BS.

Each person steps up and does what needs to be done based on their ability and preferences. One great example....I hate unloading the dishwasher...hubby can't play adult tetris (loading the dishwasher most effectively) as well as I can. I load and run it...he puts away. He doesn't mind cleaning the kitchen..so he does that..he hates dusting and vacuuming...I do that. Laundry is about 50-50...whoever gets to it throws in a load and dries - we both fold. We both cook.

Is it really that hard?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Lol, what CSD just said, in this feminism/gynocentric world, women have no damn role but to EXTRACT your entertainment and resources.

Go on any dating site, read any woman's magazine, or just listen to what women say they WANT in a men. The list is longer than a damn dissertation.

But turn around and ask those SAME women just what in the hell are they going to do for such man? Their response would be shorter than an Asian man's ____.

It just goes to show you, the game/market is rigged in favor of women, so either you go MGTOW NOW, or you will LATER once your credit card limits have been maxed out, you have been put in jail for not paying $50,000 a year in child support for an infant, you are STUCK with lifetime alimony, etc., etc., etc.
Same old blah, blah, woe is me I'm a male .........wwaaahhh

There is not one human who is perfect and if that is what you seek you are going to live a lifetime of disappointment.

Grow up, get a clue, different people have different dynamics, no one is going to be exactly the same with everyone no matter how many romantic interest they have throughout their lifetimes.

All of the he said/does she said/does is trivial dribble at the end of the day. find something or someone or both that makes your life as full, happy and complete as possible and quit being such a whiner about every dang thing. cripes

Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,616 times
Only one of those threads are relevant to my question. This question is something that Ive been wanting to ask but resisted because I knew I'd get smart answers or shamed for asking.

I have my own personal beliefs but I asked the question to get other people's opinion who don't believe in such roles or other interesting perspectives like bellalinda's and dewdroplet's reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships