Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:59 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,462,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It's probably tough in a workplace with only 35 people. Seems like they are all very friendly and personal there. If you want to stay in the circle, you have to contribute.
Never had the problem, I would think the wanting to be part of the circle/fit in is where the issue would be the common denominator.

I have always worked in small offices, you just have to make others aware where you limits lay and eventually they get it and treat you in appropriate ways.

You can still be social and share with others without giving up every little peronsal detail of your life.

You will always get the "over sharers" in you office who thrive on personal gossip and drama who will try to influence the group to their needs, it's not very wise to pander to them just to fit in.

As an example: We had a new girl start up the other week and my first personal interaction with her was her telling me her vagina was itchy becuase she had been having too much sex with a new guy she was seeing. She proceeded to give me a detailed summary of his anatomy and how it did not jive with hers and why.

She gave me no room to interject...she just went off with her story becuase she felt it was important to share.

Afterwords when she seen I was really not interested in her personal life the way she has an attachment to it she tried to save face and embarrassment and asked "so...are seeing anyone?"

Last edited by rego00123; 10-27-2015 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Phone ate post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 02:04 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Never had the problem, I would think the wanting to be part of the circle is where the issue would be the common denominator.

I have always worked in small offices, you just have to make others aware where you limits lay and eventually they get it.

You can still be social and share with others without giving up every little peronsal detail of your life.
I think men have it easier there. They often talk hours about sports, politics or whatever.

Women cut down to the chase quickly and get very personal very fast.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:17 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,542,577 times
Quote:
I think men have it easier there. They often talk hours about sports, politics or whatever.

Agreed

Had a few drinks last night in a pub, us lads were having a laugh and a joke and a group of girls come over and joined us by talking about favourite sex positions!!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:27 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,462,598 times
Quote:

I'm aware.

There is a reason those guys are mainly talking about those things while in office environments.

Their initials are S.H and H.R

That's why I said its not wise to pander to that behavior. I would rather be a prude in someone's eyes while on the clock than their best buddy.

Last edited by rego00123; 10-27-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 02:59 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Agreed

Had a few drinks last night in a pub, us lads were having a laugh and a joke and a group of girls come over and joined us by talking about favourite sex positions!!
yeah, and I bet you were deeply disturbed by that

Old 10-27-2015, 03:05 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,454,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I agree. Also if you work at s huge company and find someone in another department, it is fine too.
My late hubby and I met at work. We worked at a company of about 300 that had quite a few people who were biologically related and had several couples as well - some just starting out, some who'd been married for years, two who got married in the time we both worked there. One who got divorced but remained the best of friends.

We dated for 6 months before anyone knew we were together, with the exception of one of my co-worker friends. We came clean because he made a career change and left the company. We weren't hiding because of any rules or impropriety reasons. We did it because we wanted to date each other, not the whole (gossipy) company. We were in separate departments so if it had not gone well, it would have been easy to avoid each other. As it was, I had been there for just over 2 years and he for about a year and a half before we ever crossed paths.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:19 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,542,577 times
Quote:
yeah, and I bet you were deeply disturbed by that
Ermmm....... For once I'm silenced I've got no comeback!!

😍😍😍

Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,155,449 times
I don't agree. Me and my wife work in the same organization and have never had an issue. We're in separate departments and I never even see her in the office. We don't hang out, go to lunch or even commute together as our schedules vary. We'll go grab a coffee maybe once every 6 months or so but that's it.

Non issue.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:36 PM

191 posts, read 287,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Do fellow dudes agree. The reason we do not ask women in the workplace out is that there is a strong likelihood of an awkward situation in the office down the line.

Its depends on how you do it, but no I don't agree to never do it. Its a good place to meet people.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:19 PM

22,361 posts, read 29,481,224 times
I agree with this but then I wouldn't be with my current bf...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships