Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 04:18 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

Y'all are going to think I'm acting like a blushing teen.

My daughter is in the 10th grade. I went to Open House in September and slogged through the simulated school day where each period lasts 6 minutes and teachers attempt to introduce themselves and tell you all about their teaching methods. Last class was math. Mr. L had put a word problem on each table and asked us to figure it out. He was demonstrating an activity they do each day. I'm terrible at math but good at logic puzzles so took a stab at it, raised my hand to contribute and I was right. I was very impressed overall with this teacher's presentation. (not just because it made me look smart) I also quietly said on the way out the door that my daughter is very shy and won't be likely to approach him if she needs help and he said ok.

Fast forward to the end of the quarter, my daughter has not taken advantage of the retest policy, so I emailed him with some questions about how/when she can retake some quizzes. He responded with the details, and I responded with another question and thanked him for his time. Then the school held a Math Meeting. Apparently the methods I was so impressed with were upsetting some parents and they wanted to address questions. So Mr. L reviewed common Core as it relates to what they are teaching and these 'new' methods (which aren't new at all, they are actually the kind of thing that is taught in grad school to teachers all the time). But lots of parents stood up to complain. So I stand up and defend the program in some detail relative to the extremely poor instruction I received in Math 20 years ago, and it seemed to shut some people up.

The next day he emailed me to thank me for speaking up at the meeting, etc, etc. I didn't think too much of it. Then I started wondering just how old this cute, dorky and smart guy is, so I Googled him. He is single, and he is between 45-49 (I had assumed he was much younger, kind of a baby face).

The next week I am on Facebook and guess who pops up in my People You May Know feed? Mr. L.

He wouldn't have been able to see much because my privacy settings are pretty strict. I looked at his Facebook page (not much to see there either, but he has nieces and nephews, friends, etc)

Then I found out that people show up on People You May Know because they were looking for you. So HE was looking for ME on Facebook.

Should I send him a friend request? Ask him out for a cup of coffee? Wait until my daughter is no longer in his class? Practice writing my name linked artfully with his on the back of my composition book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 04:21 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
do you want to?

If the answer is yes send a request.

No need to get caught up or play silly social media games with one another. If you want to talk to him add him and go forward with your intentions.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:24 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

My daughter is in the 10th grade. I went to Open House in September and slogged through the simulated school day where each period lasts 6 minutes and teachers attempt to introduce themselves and tell you all about their teaching methods. Last class was math. Mr. L had put a word problem on each table and asked us to figure it out. He was demonstrating an activity they do each day. I'm terrible at math but good at logic puzzles so took a stab at it, raised my hand to contribute and I was right. I was very impressed overall with this teacher's presentation. (not just because it made me look smart) I also quietly said on the way out the door that my daughter is very shy and won't be likely to approach him if she needs help and he said ok.

Fast forward to the end of the quarter, my daughter has not taken advantage of the retest policy, so I emailed him with some questions about how/when she can retake some quizzes. He responded with the details, and I responded with another question and thanked him for his time. Then the school held a Math Meeting. Apparently the methods I was so impressed with were upsetting some parents and they wanted to address questions. So Mr. L reviewed common Core as it relates to what they are teaching and these 'new' methods (which aren't new at all, they are actually the kind of thing that is taught in grad school to teachers all the time). But lots of parents stood up to complain. So I stand up and defend the program in some detail relative to the extremely poor instruction I received in Math 20 years ago, and it seemed to shut some people up.

The next day he emailed me to thank me for speaking up at the meeting, etc, etc. I didn't think too much of it. Then I started wondering just how old this cute, dorky and smart guy is, so I Googled him. He is single, and he is between 45-49 (I had assumed he was much younger, kind of a baby face).

The next week I am on Facebook and guess who pops up in my People You May Know feed? Mr. L.

He wouldn't have been able to see much because my privacy settings are pretty strict. I looked at his Facebook page (not much to see there either, but he has nieces and nephews, friends, etc)

Then I found out that people show up on People You May Know because they were looking for you. So HE was looking for ME on Facebook.

Should I send him a friend request? Ask him out for a cup of coffee? Wait until my daughter is no longer in his class? Practice writing my name linked artfully with his on the back of my composition book?
Not to burst your bubble, but that's not exactly true. People show up in your "People You May Know" feed for various reasons: they could belong to the same FB groups as you, they could have several friends in common, or it could be because you looked at his page. If you Googled him, that could be why, too. Haven't you ever noticed that ads just happen to pop up on FB for the things you Google? Big brother is watching always.

I would hold off looking at china patterns until your daughter no longer has him as a teacher

Old 11-09-2015, 04:29 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I'd wait until your daughter has moved on.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
This is 100% NOT true. I can't really go in to why I know this, but I verified it and it isn't true.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:04 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,806 times
People you may know can be linked through various sources including email, location, schools, anything and everything. It doesn't mean someone looked for you!

Old 11-09-2015, 05:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but that's not exactly true. People show up in your "People You May Know" feed for various reasons: they could belong to the same FB groups as you, they could have several friends in common, or it could be because you looked at his page. If you Googled him, that could be why, too. Haven't you ever noticed that ads just happen to pop up on FB for the things you Google? Big brother is watching always.

I would hold off looking at china patterns until your daughter no longer has him as a teacher
This ^^^.

All that Googling you did likely triggered Facebook's algorithmic gremlins. That darn math!!!

Old 11-09-2015, 05:24 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Whoever told you that is wrong.

Since if you are basing your advances on that assumption, stop now, before you get into trouble.

Your daughter's teacher?
Seriously?

Old 11-09-2015, 05:34 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:

This has been going on since Facebook came into being...IF you are a friend with someone..anyone..then their algorithms..detain connection...not to mention any game forum or likes on some sort of fav sites...So voila..Question asked..I disregard ..but this is a far cry from a personal request for friending..that has to be directed by individual..maybe thru what you described ( likeminded type)..BTW~~ it also lists "Mutual friends" in that list of possible befriending suggestions...IGNORE IGNORE...Even personal friendship requests get often get denied..once search that person..SO don't be paranoid about this school teacher..It wasn't him..but the internet Facebook networking to EXPAND ( means$$$ in advertising)...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This ^^^.

All that Googling you did likely triggered Facebook's algorithmic gremlins. That darn math!!!
When will people understand internet is NOT private..just put anything into your google search..and look at the list of things that come up?? LOL often listing past searched sites. Internet is world wide ( thus WWW.com) maybe use accordingly.

BTW~~ After watching many court cases and googling info on background of certain topics or persons..YOU would not believe what shows up in my google searches..and Yowza..hope nobody close to me meets demise..I could be very well have my computer seized!! Get labeled as some sort of murderer..due to some of my searches...YIKES!!

Ohhhh ETA~~ Just went to email box..YEP..Twitter does the exact same thing!!! Belong to any club..you will get constant notifications of "Who you may be interested in" type things!! Delete..delete...!! NEVER open..

Old 11-09-2015, 07:20 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
This has been going on since Facebook came into being...IF you are a friend with someone..anyone..then their algorithms..detain connection...not to mention any game forum or likes on some sort of fav sites...So voila..Question asked..I disregard ..but this is a far cry from a personal request for friending..that has to be directed by individual..maybe thru what you described ( likeminded type)..BTW~~ it also lists "Mutual friends" in that list of possible befriending suggestions...IGNORE IGNORE...Even personal friendship requests get often get denied..once search that person..SO don't be paranoid about this school teacher..It wasn't him..but the internet Facebook networking to EXPAND ( means$$$ in advertising)...LOL

When will people understand internet is NOT private..just put anything into your google search..and look at the list of things that come up?? LOL often listing past searched sites. Internet is world wide ( thus WWW.com) maybe use accordingly.

BTW~~ After watching many court cases and googling info on background of certain topics or persons..YOU would not believe what shows up in my google searches..and Yowza..hope nobody close to me meets demise..I could be very well have my computer seized!! Get labeled as some sort of murderer..due to some of my searches...YIKES!!

Ohhhh ETA~~ Just went to email box..YEP..Twitter does the exact same thing!!! Belong to any club..you will get constant notifications of "Who you may be interested in" type things!! Delete..delete...!! NEVER open..
It's not private?? But I copied and paste a post telling everyone that it was!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships