Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:34 PM

52,281 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

The age gap isn't the problem 6 yrs is not much, heck, Mrs. Chow is 5 yrs older than me, but like you mentioned he still looks like a teenager and in college and you're a working adult, 19 is an adult, but just barely.

Meh... why not go out with him a few times and see how mature he is and how he handles himself. My gut thought up reading the OP is is that he's just in a different mental place, not so much the actual 6 yr difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:37 PM

194 posts, read 246,435 times
If you feel yucky about it, then you shouldn't do it. Besides, you can't be a real man at 19.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
At that age, a 6 year gap would be a bit much for me; generally speaking, the difference in life experience between 19 and 25 is rather great.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Personally I'd say that as long as people are consenting adults, it doesn't matter. Literally no age difference of any extent matters. But it does seem to matter to you.

If it's a problem in your mind...only you can work out if you can get past it or if it is too much to deal with.

Also, the life stages thing. I'm not going to say that the drinking age is a big deal, you know if it is or not. Not everyone drinks. I don't drink. So that would be a non-issue for me. But it's true that you're establishing yourself as an independent adult, and he's in college. The question for you to consider is where are you willing for the relationship to go? Are you open to the notion of living together at some point, or more? Life stage stuff gets heavier when you mix up the realities of living, and you're not just dating on voluntary terms.

Personally I'm 36 and I like dating people who are mid 40's to mid 50's. I find their maturity levels attractive, they have more life and stories to tell, and the ones I'm involved with really have it together. They do not have small kids, they're not part of young families, they don't live with roommates, they have steady jobs and stable lives. I don't need or want to live with them, they don't need or want to live with me. We connect better than I do with people my own age. There is no desire to "start a family" and the emphasis is on companionship. That's where I am at in life. My kids are almost adults and I am looking into the future.

So on that note, examine your life and your goals, and contemplate how well (or not) this young man fits into them. Then act accordingly.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Probably not a big deal, but probably not a relationship that has longevity. As a 25 year old woman, your best chance for a successful LTR will be with a guy who is 25-30.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:01 PM

241 posts, read 360,106 times
Thanks for replies everyone. I already decided its not going work out. Its not just that he is too young looking but he's rather immature in a frat boy kind of way. It should be noted he is only like this with his friends, when he is with me he is the perfect gentlemen. Also sometimes I feel like I am his mother, he doesn't know how to cook, is too lazy to do laundry, and always blowing uo my phone to come pick him up(he doesn't have a car). I have had to pick him nine times these past two months due to his drunken antics. I really don't like any of his friends(they are awful trust me) and his campus is too long of drive from my apartment.

I really like him so its going to suck telling him things are over, but its probably for the best in the long run.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Thanks for replies everyone. I already decided its not going work out. Its not just that he is too young looking but he's rather immature in a frat boy kind of way. It should be noted he is only like this with his friends, when he is with me he is the perfect gentlemen. Also sometimes I feel like I am his mother, he doesn't know how to cook, is too lazy to do laundry, and always blowing uo my phone to come pick him up(he doesn't have a car). I have had to pick him nine times these past two months due to his drunken antics. I really don't like any of his friends(they are awful trust me) and his campus is too long of drive from my apartment.

I really like him so its going to suck telling him things are over, but its probably for the best in the long run.
It sounds like you're at different life stages. You're too young to be mothering a growna$$ man!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:15 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I have a 20 and a 25. The 20 is really immature compare to the 25. It's worse for boys. My nephews are 19 and 21. They are even more immature than my immature kid. So no way.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:19 PM

906 posts, read 712,666 times
much too great.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 PM

906 posts, read 712,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
If you feel yucky about it, then you shouldn't do it. Besides, you can't be a real man at 19.
speak for yourself. i was a real man at the age of 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships