Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:37 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,353,422 times

Advertisements

Haven't read the thread, but I'm on team husband.

Take your son to work yourself..... or

Put him on the bus.

Problem solved either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,014,836 times
I assume you came here for advise. So here's mine:

When you see your husband tonight, give him a big kiss and tell him how much you appreciate how hard he is working to help you with your children. Tell him how sorry you are to sabotage his efforts to make your son into a man. Promise that you will be supportive of his efforts going forward.

Then, tell you son not to wait and to go ahead and move in with the girlfriend's parents right now.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I assume you came here for advise. So here's mine:

When you see your husband tonight, give him a big kiss and tell him how much you appreciate how hard he is working to help you with your children. Tell him how sorry you are to sabotage his efforts to make your son into a man. Promise that you will be supportive of his efforts going forward.

Then, tell you son not to wait and to go ahead and move in with the girlfriend's parents right now.
Great advise!!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:09 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
OP, I don't know why you're asking us why your husband won't drive your son to work. He's told you why. What do you expect from us? You know why he won't drive your son to work. Why this constant rehashing of your situation, and asking questions you know the answers to?

Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,568 times
If you want him to be a functional adult with a real job, you need to be discussing with him things like, how are you going to do graphic design freelance with no experience and no portfolio. You need to make sure if he's going to sponge off of people he needs to at least know how to do chores and charm them. Or you need to figure out what he's going to have to do to get out of the doghouse, make an agreement with the husband on that front, and stick to it. Making excuses isn't going to help, but what amounts to an open ended grounding is not going to teach him the life skills he clearly lacks either, and what he really needs is someone to sit him down and work with him on a plan for success. Parenting adolescents is hard and requires some creative thinking. Welcome to life. If you think your husband is too hard on him, what's your plan, just give him what he wants and hope for the best?

Old 12-15-2015, 01:54 PM

91 posts, read 119,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Why does your niece live with your parents?

Because my sister, their mom, died a few years ago .

Old 12-15-2015, 02:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,211,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowed08 View Post
Because my sister, their mom, died a few years ago .
THAT'S what you picked out to respond to? What about the tons of advice where people are siding with your husband and telling you to stop enabling your son to be a hopeless deadbeat? Did you just totally gloss over that?

Old 12-15-2015, 02:19 PM

181 posts, read 168,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowed08 View Post
My husband seems to be on some sort of power trip these days. My 19 year old son (from my first marriage) is currently going to school and working a part time job. My current husband doesn't seem to want to help him out. My niece, is letting him use her car since she's away at college and normally he has transportation to and from school and work. When she comes homes for breaks she takes her car back and we have to get him to and from school and work. My husband seems to like to hold grudges.

What can I do?
Your current husband? Sounds like husband is a stage you go through. That & the fact you run to CD for advice inside of your marriage should have him looking to leave the country. Did you share this post w/ him? I bet not. Your child by another man is not his problem. Then again, he's a simp for marrying a single mom ITFP.

Last edited by Ben theredundat; 12-15-2015 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-15-2015, 02:30 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,204,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why?

OP, you posted about this last week. About your opinion that your husband is being too hard on your deadbeat son, and how the poor boy shouldn't be expected to take the bus (like millions of commuters do in major cities around the US). You keep making excuses for your son, while your husband is the only one who expects him to be a responsible adult. The answers you get on this thread won't be much different from those on your last one.

You're the one who already has a son in prison, right? Another kid you made excuses for, and expected pretty much nothing of? This type of slack parenting should be considered to be some kind of human rights violation. You're depriving your kids of opportunities to learn CRUCIAL life skills and to build the character and sense of responsibility they need to become independent adults and productive citizens.

You should be grateful you married a guy like your hubs, who wants to do right by your kids, something you're not willing to do. You should be backing him up, not undermining him.
Bingo. This kid is talking about setting up his own business, and he is going to become a father (because he felt they were ready for it ), but he cant get himself to and from work?? What, he's not ready for THAT yet?

Seriously? And *YOU* don't want him to take the bus?? What, is he too good to take the bus? The bus in 'beneath' him? The bus is too scary for him? He wants to be a grown a$$ man with a kid and a business, right?? How 'scary' is that at 19?? He needs to man up. He wants to be the big adult, he can start acting like it. Please! And If you don't like him taking the bus, then YOU take him to school/work and pick him up. Gimme a break about it being "scary" cause you are a woman. Pfft. You both need to grow up.

And if you couldn't tell, I agree 100% with your husband.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,204,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
THAT'S what you picked out to respond to? What about the tons of advice where people are siding with your husband and telling you to stop enabling your son to be a hopeless deadbeat? Did you just totally gloss over that?

Yes...she did gloss over that. Because she doesn't want to hear good advice if it doesn't agree with HER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships