Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

In the past i dated a girl for a year and a half. We were in love and everything was beyond perfect. I ended things because i was leaving for my 2nd year of college (we made it through my first with no issues). We have been broken up for a year now, and during the entire year i was still madly in love with her even thought i ended things.

We didn't speak for a year, then this summer we spoke for the first time. She ended up busting into tears from emotion while talking to a friend later that night. She really loved me and i really loved her.

Coming to present day, we both work in the same company. We see each other usually about once a week and have small talk. I feel like there is something.

However, just a month ago she began dating a new guy. I was too dumb to make another move before she had began dating this guy. And i have no idea how she feels anymore on the matter.

I want to confront her and see if she would like to go out sometime, not to try and ruin her new relationship but to explain how i feel.

I am not sure what to do. I truly feel like something is still there.

I guess in the end i know i messed up in the past. I want to have a life with her. My question is, do i try for it when she has a new other? or should i just stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm42 View Post
In the past i dated a girl for a year and a half. We were in love and everything was beyond perfect. I ended things because i was leaving for my 2nd year of college (we made it through my first with no issues). We have been broken up for a year now, and during the entire year i was still madly in love with her even thought i ended things.

We didn't speak for a year, then this summer we spoke for the first time. She ended up busting into tears from emotion while talking to a friend later that night. She really loved me and i really loved her.

Coming to present day, we both work in the same company. We see each other usually about once a week and have small talk. I feel like there is something.

However, just a month ago she began dating a new guy. I was too dumb to make another move before she had began dating this guy. And i have no idea how she feels anymore on the matter.

I want to confront her and see if she would like to go out sometime, not to try and ruin her new relationship but to explain how i feel.

I am not sure what to do. I truly feel like something is still there.

I guess in the end i know i messed up in the past. I want to have a life with her. My question is, do i try for it when she has a new other? or should i just stay away.
You're already not going out with her, so it wouldn't hurt to tell her how you feel.

It will be difficult, though, to explain WHY you ended things when they were "beyond perfect."

Old 12-28-2015, 06:44 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
That's a slippery slope you're climbing up, with no knee pads or head gear.

You're the one that broke up with her.....why don't you accept the fact and let her fish for a while?

These yo-yo relationships aren't good for either party.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:00 PM

I was being full of myself when i ended things. I have regretted it for a year now. I dont want the yo-yo relationship, i want to stick with it. I can see myself marrying this girl, i have feelings i have never felt before.

But again she has someone new. And i dont want to be that guy to barge saying how i feel towards her.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
I was being full of myself when i ended things. I have regretted it for a year now. I dont want the yo-yo relationship, i want to stick with it. I can see myself marrying this girl, i have feelings i have never felt before.

But again she has someone new. And i dont want to be that guy to barge saying how i feel towards her.
She doesn't "have someone new". She's just been dating a new guy for a few weeks. Unless she's told you she thinks she's in love with him, they're just dating. She can date you, too; there's no rule against that, unless they've already decided to be exclusive (which would be a bit soon, after just a few weeks of dating==doubtful it's at that stage yet).

Why didn't you say anything last summer, after you found out she burst into tears after seeing you again? Dumb! You're kicking yourself now, right?

Well, now's the time to confess to her, before anymore time goes by, and they decide to be exclusive (or...not. You never know; the dateship might not work out). Speak now, or forever hold your peace. That's where this is at, OP. It's now or never. And be sure to tell her you've been kicking yourself ever since, for having broken up with her in the first place.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-28-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,327 times
You might as well take the plunge. You have everything to gain & nothing to lose!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
You might as well take the plunge. You have everything to gain & nothing to lose!
A few months back i was told she was in tears after we talked once from emotion. I feel i should slowly work my way into it. I really dont want to just jump right into her when she is in a relationship at the current time. The feelings are extremely strong. Id like for things to be in my favor, but i also want whats the best for her.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:22 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
A few months back i was told she was in tears after we talked once from emotion. I feel i should slowly work my way into it. I really dont want to just jump right into her when she is in a relationship at the current time. The feelings are extremely strong. Id like for things to be in my favor, but i also want whats the best for her.
How do you know she's in a relationship? Where are you getting your information? "Work into it slowly"? Dude, you've already screwed up twice, the second time by not making a move at all. The slower you move now, the greater the chance that they'll actually be in a relationship, be exclusive, and the window of opportunity will close. You could see her for coffee, and let her know how you feel, but tell her if she's really into her new guy, you'll respect that, because you want what's best for her.

But it's your life. Throw away your last chance, if you want to. You seem to be cool with throwing opportunity down the drain at every turn, anyway. When it comes to this girl, at least.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you know she's in a relationship? Where are you getting your information? "Work into it slowly"? Dude, you've already screwed up twice, the second time by not making a move at all. The slower you move now, the greater the chance that they'll actually be in a relationship, be exclusive, and the window of opportunity will close.

But it's your life. Throw away your last chance, if you want to. You seem to be cool with throwing opportunity down the drain at every turn, anyway. When it comes to this girl, at least.
You make a very good point. I was told by another party, as well as seeing it on social media that she was in a relationship. Its been up for about a month. You made a great point though. I need to man up and go for it. Thank you very much!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:26 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:

There is your answer but keep in mind while you are slowly working your way to her the other guy is running full force and has her down the lane before you have taken 10 steps.
Your life, make a decision about your life all by yourself then be man enough to stand up to that decision be it good, bad or indifferent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships