Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM

971 posts, read 689,149 times

Advertisements

As a guy who lost half a million dollars in a divorce, I am sorry, I need a pre-nup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:45 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
As a guy who lost half a million dollars in a divorce, I am sorry, I need a pre-nup.
What happened?

Old 04-25-2016, 07:50 PM

971 posts, read 689,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
What happened?
A guy at her work kept after her about how great it would be if they were together. So, she left. Went from living in a nice house with everything paid for, to living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere. Lost their jobs because of workplace affair and have been living off divorce settlement since. Money just ran out. Lol.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
A guy at her work kept after her about how great it would be if they were together. So, she left. Went from living in a nice house with everything paid for, to living in a trailer in the middle of nowhere. Lost their jobs because of workplace affair and have been living off divorce settlement since. Money just ran out. Lol.
Wow that's horrible! But she got what was coming to her and it's only going to get worse for them so I'm sure you feel vindicated.

But wouldn't you feel you're taking your disappointment from your first wife onto the next wife by asking her for a prenup? It's not her fault what your first wife did yet she's the one being punished for it.

Last edited by Shysister; 04-25-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Agreed!!!

I think it's interesting that there are some on her who mention that if their SO brought up wanting to have a pre-nup before marriage, they would be so offended that they would end the relationship -
Who said anything about being offended? One might be hurt, which I think would be understandable. But I maintain that any man who would ask me for a pre-nup is either paranoid or hasn't been paying attention the whole time he courted me. I'm a minimalist. If anything, someone having money and a whole lot of crap with a big, huge carbon footprint is going to be a turnoff for me. Another reason I never pushed for marriage with the last SO. He was materialistic. I do believe he regarded me as something of a problem to shop for because I never wanted anything. To me it's all just more stuff to clean, maintain, fix, or find a spot for. Didn't stop him from giving me stuff, most of which I got rid of when we broke up, anyway.

Regardless, somehow, I managed to get along my whole adult life without living off a man. As a writer, to boot. Hasn't always been easy, but I'm fine with going another 49 the same way. So again, if I were that insecure in my judgment of someone, and that worried about precious dollars, I just wouldn't marry. I would expect someone else who jumped through all the hoops one would have to jump through to get me interested in committing in the first place to have the same intelligence about it, too. I daresay any man who would ask ME for a prenup is a fool.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well its very very rare for two people of widely different means or assets to marry. It's almost never seen. People marry within their socioeconomic strata, overwhelmingly.

And yeah, its good its a 50/50 partnership in a marriage. It's the entire point.

I can't say I've known anyone that has married that has mentioned a pre nup, I suppose they may have had them, though I don't get it. It's pretty uncommon for college educated 30+ somethings to get divorced from their first marriage, and I only know one person that has gotten divorced in my entire social network that fits that. The people that have gotten divorced were broke 20 something kids (relatively) when they got married so it wouldn't have done anything to them.

Having a pre nup to protect existing children, esp those with special needs, etc. Or where there was a large inheritance (generally I've seen those things be protected within trusts) makes some sense.
Well I am guessing it happens ( people marrying out of their socioeconomic strata). Doctors marry nurses, Lawyers marry paralegals, Pilots marry flight attendants, execs marry secretary's.... The heart wants what the heart wants? Lol

Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Well I am guessing it happens ( people marrying out of their socioeconomic strata). Doctors marry nurses, Lawyers marry paralegals, Pilots marry flight attendants, execs marry secretary's.... The heart wants what the heart wants? Lol

Sure, I know a doctor that married a nurse, but she was working as a nurse while he was in residency. She supported them for years while he was becoming a doctor. She did get screwed a bit in the divorce way later on, but those types of marriages almost all happen when they're young and both have no assets, and a prenup wouldn't have done anything.

The other stuff, like those romances happening as real adults are mostly resigned to hollywood, atleast as far as getting to marriage.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Cheating is a sign of problems in a relationship. Bad relationships take two people. While no one held a gun to her head, if you two had a great relationship in the first place, no one could have tempted her away.

Just saying. I usually see your side of things, so this is absolutely, positively not a dig at you in anyway, but an observation: You've said enough on this forum to reveal a pattern of being cheated on, getting with bipolar women, and so on. So I'm willing to wager you overlooked some glaring red flags when you got with her and married her anyway.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Sorry, I don't get it. You lost half a million dollars of assets you accumulated pre marriage due to a later divorce? A pre nup won't help with what was acquired during the marriage, those are thrown out left and right if anyone will draw them up anymore. That sucks though.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:00 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, I know a doctor that married a nurse, but she was working as a nurse while he was in residency. She supported them for years while he was becoming a doctor. She did get screwed a bit in the divorce way later on, but those types of marriages almost all happen when they're young and both have no assets, and a prenup wouldn't have done anything.

The other stuff, like those romances happening as real adults are mostly resigned to hollywood, atleast as far as getting to marriage.

IDK Timberline. Apparently people have their reasons. Whether we agree with it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships