Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:35 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times

Advertisements

Nope.

Don't really care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:38 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I don't think I've ever been told to smile, and it isn't something I would say to others. I can't say I'd be offended, though.
I've actually been told that my whole life. I always thought they just assumed I needed to be cheered up.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
I think it's rude to tell someone to smile, whether they're a man or a woman. The thing is, though, women hear it from men way more often than the reverse. Men telling women this gives us the impression that it's only acceptable for a woman to be happy and hospitable all the time, as if we're here just for their amusement and pleasure. I think we're more sensitive to it because we (or at least I) interpret it as a way a man tries to make a woman more vulnerable and dainty.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:59 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Probably resting ahole face. I've been told that I look like (and act like) an ahole.
It's American culture - the culture of asinine jejune smiling. Americans even smile on their passport photos!

I've been told - in a solicitous and helpful way - that I perpetually carry the morose expression of a suicidal jihadi, or of an SS-man. One time I turned this handicap into an advantage. Our local atheist meetup group was having a Sunday lunch at a local restaurant. We were placed adjacent to another group of diners, evidently freshly out of a church-service. Our conversation was, as often happens in atheist circles, on theological matters. When lunch concluded, I returned to the table to leave a tip, and a fellow from the Christian table accosted me, with protestations that I have it all wrong. I leveled my stare at him, and icily pronounced: "Be wary of where you pry, and how; for you may regard yourself to be protected by the blood, but I shall never rest and never tire". It was amusing (but I did not smile) to watch the color drain from his face.

Smiling is yet another subset of the passel of happy-feeling traits that modern first-world people consider to be core to romantic relationship. It's just another reason to wonder whether the world has gone insane.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Yes, this is my thought too.

It also offends me that it seems to be okay for women to be offended by this, but not men.
It's got nothing to do with gender. The context is totally different, and they aren't the same thing at all.

Online dating is dependent on photos, and if you don't include a photo of yourself smiling, people are left to either 1) draw their own conclusions, or 2) ask you about it.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:26 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Yes, this is my thought too.

It also offends me that it seems to be okay for women to be offended by this, but not men.
Yeah, sure you're offended.

Asking "why no smile?" - which is a question, not an order is light years away from a random guy barking "Smile!!!!1!!!" at a woman he has never met. Light years.

And in online pictures, people should smile - the serious face, dead stare into the camera look is off-putting to many. You don't look tough, you look like a potential stalker.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

Asking "why no smile?" - which is a question, not an order is light years away from a random guy barking "Smile!!!!1!!!" at a woman he has never met. Light years.
Yep, they are completely different.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Well boo hoo! Many men out there would kill to get these kinds of comments on a daily basis.
Do we really have to explain to YOU that what men want to hear and what women want to hear are two totally different things? I'm betting no.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-21-2016 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Deleted reference to image in opening post, which has been deleted.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Yeah, sure you're offended.

And in online pictures, people should smile - the serious face, dead stare into the camera look is off-putting to many. You don't look tough, you look like a potential stalker.
They are not different. In either case, the person is being robbed of their right to determine their own emotions. I don't smile in most of my online photos because that is how I am in real life, I rarely smile typically since my smile looks stupid and I look like an idiot when I smile.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
I hear this a lot from women.

Just got this message in my POF box. Would any woman be offended by this?

Mod cut: Image deleted (contained OLD username and photo). The message said she liked this OP's photo but asked "Why no smile?

Only when they suggest maybe I have autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships