Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a left brained engineer type and I don't want a left brained engineer type woman. I don't want a bubbly airhead, but I don't want someone too analytical.
Send them my way. I will take all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Send them my way. I will take all of them.
I'm very left brained I score a hard and firm INTJ personality type. I'm not bragging, but I have the ability to be able to be funny and witty. I find that a lot of technical analytical people to be more on the dull side lacking in a sense of humor. I say this as a guy that's been in a technical industry for 23 plus yrs, not just dusting off the engineer stereotype, besides stereotypes exist for a reason.

I'll be sure to send all the female engineers your way.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm very left brained I score a hard and firm INTJ personality type. I'm not bragging, but I have the ability to be able to be funny and witty. I find that a lot of technical analytical people to be more on the dull side lacking in a sense of humor. I say this as a guy that's been in a technical industry for 23 plus yrs, not just dusting off the engineer stereotype, besides stereotypes exist for a reason.

Both of them?

I kid.

But, unless you consider yourself a unicorn of sorts, it stands to reason that there are other left-brainers out there who are also capable of being funny/witty, and going against the (admittedly, accurate) stereotype. Either way, I'll take all of them.

Regarding humor: Everybody likes it (you're rarely going to find someone that doesn't like to laugh), but the differences are in what we find funny. I love (and practice) dry humor, which is something more likely to be found among the aforementioned left-brainers than by more traditional humorists. I have my theories/reasoning on this that would take us way off-topic, but I'd hesitate to suggest that one type is more likely to HAVE humor than others....rather than one type is more likely to have a certain TYPE of humor than others (read: slapstick vs dry vs satirical vs anecdotal, etc.)

I'm of the opinion that those are are perceived as having a "good" sense of humor either a) practice a type of humor that more people are likely to enjoy, or b) enjoy more types of humor than the average person, or c) both.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:

How is it that everyone that takes this test is an INTJ? lol I sware I never see anyone say they are an ESTJ which is one of the more common ones. Oh well neverind me just an off topic thought.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
How is it that everyone that takes this test is an INTJ? lol I sware I never see anyone say they are an ESTJ which is one of the more common ones. Oh well neverind me just an off topic thought.
Because it's an internet forum; a place more likely to be populated by that personality type.

If you were to ask a group of people at a social gathering (like bar, or party) to take the test on site, you'd see grossly different results.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:05 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I sometimes see this types of threads where a woman states how successful they are and they can't get dates and for them it boils down to the guy(s) being turned off or intimidated by them.

I also feel a twinge of irritation as these threads sometimes come off as humble-brags to me. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, IDK, assuming that the OP is legit I don't think I'd have a problem with a woman that was more successful than me, I've always been with woman that were my peers or made less money simpler job, whatever the metric is that were dealing with here.

One time I had a co-worker that was dating a woman that was a controller for a pretty good sized company and she was making 6 figures a yr and this is 20 yrs ago I'm talking about so for a woman to be making that kind of money then was as little more impressive than it is today. My co-worker was probably only making about 60k a year or so, whatever, the point was that she was clearly more advanced in her career than him. I always thought it was sort of cool of him, that he wasn't intimated, at least that I could tell.

We went out to dinner one night and for some reason this woman didn't like me, I don't know why, I hardly even spoke at the dinner, but she straight called me an opinioned guy with a ****ty tone behind it. I again, hardly even spoke and not sure why she was like that, this is 20 yrs ago and I was much more quieter then and more shy, so sort of an odd thing for her dislike of me.

I found out a few yrs later that she was a complete pyschobitch. This is coming from my co-worker, so it goes to show, just cause someone can do well in their careers, doesn't mean that's everything that is important.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
This is remarkably naïve about life in the US.
No, it is how I view life in the US, as a man who was born on US soil and grew up here in the USA, in Silicon Valley, in an affluent household.

If you chose to be arrogant, that's your choice. Many others do not make the same choice.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I sometimes see this types of threads where a woman states how successful they are and they can't get dates and for them it boils down to the guy(s) being turned off or intimidated by them.

I also feel a twinge of irritation as these threads sometimes come off as humble-brags to me.
Yeah, I agree, man. People need to come off their pedestal. This is the USA, not Britain. We do not have a monarch who is Without Peer and has The Divine Right of Kings, and therefore we don't have social classes. Economic classes, yes. Social classes, no. It is odd that people who call themselves Americans would forget that we fought a war over that issue and that it is the whole point of this country.

Even Britain, though they still have a monarch, isn't really like that anymore, with stratified social classes in which, for example, lawyers refuse to have friends who are garbage collectors.

Quote:
I found out a few yrs later that she was a complete pyschobitch. This is coming from my co-worker, so it goes to show, just cause someone can do well in their careers, doesn't mean that's everything that is important.
Indeed. There is more to life than money.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-11-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It's different when you live in a high cost region. To afford the sort of basic middle class life I had growing up where I live would mean I need a household income of 250k.
No, it just means that middle class is different here than it is in Nowhere, Kansas. In Nowhere, Kansas, the median income gets you a house with a big yard, a swimming pool, etc., just like I had growing up.

In Silicon Valley (and pretty much every large city in the world), if you had that, you would be upper class, not middle class.

In a major city, the median income typically gets you a condo rather than a single family home. It is still middle class, since you are earning the median income, but it is different because you're in a major city.

And again, these are economic classes, not social. It isn't like Britain used to be, where if you're at a nightclub and you find out the person you're hanging out with is a cab driver, you say "oh no, we can't talk anymore; I'm a lawyer. I'm far above your station in society. Hence, we can't be friends."

Old 03-11-2016, 01:45 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:

I also feel a twinge of irritation as these threads sometimes come off as humble-brags to me. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, IDK, assuming that the OP is legit I don't think I'd have a problem with a woman that was more successful than me, I've always been with woman that were my peers or made less money simpler job, whatever the metric is that were dealing with here.

One time I had a co-worker that was dating a woman that was a controller for a pretty good sized company and she was making 6 figures a yr and this is 20 yrs ago I'm talking about so for a woman to be making that kind of money then was as little more impressive than it is today. My co-worker was probably only making about 60k a year or so, whatever, the point was that she was clearly more advanced in her career than him. I always thought it was sort of cool of him, that he wasn't intimated, at least that I could tell.

We went out to dinner one night and for some reason this woman didn't like me, I don't know why, I hardly even spoke at the dinner, but she straight called me an opinioned guy with a ****ty tone behind it. I again, hardly even spoke and not sure why she was like that, this is 20 yrs ago and I was much more quieter then and more shy, so sort of an odd thing for her dislike of me.

You would see more stories like this but these women are out dating guys like the one in your story, Not sitting on a message board saying men are scared of them because they are successful. It's stupid and only applies to a small minority of insecure men that are worried about how big the other guys penis is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships