Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:23 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I think women are into pilots or firefighters based on some thoughtful process or long term thinking. Yep.
No, amazingly, we get turned on without any deep, meaningful reason sometimes too.

Yerp. Happens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I understand how they can track swiping, but there is no database field for occupation...and that doesn't even account for the people who don't put their profession (which is most, in my anecdotal experience). So I have no idea how they're grabbing this data, and they're not telling, which is a bad sign.

Warning: Statements of interpretation below.
In addition, while the list of male jobs are mostly those that are notorious of being appealing to women, the list of female jobs are simply the ones that are the most common among women, with 1-2 exceptions.
Completely agree.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, amazingly, we get turned on without any deep, meaningful reason sometimes too.

Yerp. Happens...
Since that was the original design/intent for Tinder to begin with, it makes sense that these professions are making appearances with such frequency (per the "study", anyway).

Old 03-02-2016, 03:33 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I met and married my husband before Tinder became what it is today. I guess "student" would apply for me back then, but there's no option for freelance/creative work.

My husband's profession isn't listed. The vast majority of men I was matched with elsewhere were involved in STEM - computers, education or academia. I wasn't interested in pilots, or I don't ever remember meeting a pilot, and LE and military weren't on my list at all. I met a number of veterans, and some AD, but I did not seek them out, mainly due to lack of compatibility in most cases.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:45 PM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I have rarely known a pilot in my life but if I did I'd just have to call him Goose merely to pizz him off.

It would pretty much be an imperative!

I wouldn't choose "pilot" as a relationship must, though. It's dangerous. Dude could die. I can see that it would be sexy, maybe for something short-term, but personally I've always wondered how mates of pilots, firefighters, cops, etc. handle their fears of what could happen on any given work day. Wonderful, amazing people who perform such jobs and I get that there's no such thing as "no risk" (could marry an accountant and he might be broadsided on his way to work one day and wind up in the hospital, anything can happen, thinking about it logically) but...just not for me.

I guess it's for other women, though! At least if Tinder is to be believed.
I have around 10,000 hours mostly in transport category jets (US airline). Flying hands down is the safest mode of transportation. I often joke the most dangerous part of the day is the van ride to the airport.

Sometimes the time away is hard, however for us it has always been normal. As you begin your career you first work for peanuts and very long days, at an airline you are gone around 3-4 days at a time but then home for 3-4 days. We don't live where I am based and as such I get on an airplane to get to work and come home. It's been over a decade since I graduated college, but my schedule has gone from being home only 13-14 days a month to 22+, sometimes as much as only working three days in a month.

My wife works from home, so we have tons of time together, and has made the initial sacrifice of being gone so many days worth it. We had a long term view, it's not something you decide to do and a year or two later you are doing it.

I think one of the main benefits for us, especially since she can work anywhere, is the travel. Also, now the money is pretty good. But she is good, still very frugal and doesn't waste it. A keeper .

Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
I would definitely be interested in a woman who is or is a veteran of the US Armed Forces or civilian law enforcement, or a firefighter or emergency medical person. We would have many common experiences, as I too am a military veteran.

Of course, it is very rare for me to have romantic feelings for people (as opposed to just sexual lust), regardless of their background. And I have never actually had such feelings for a military girl, if only because I have known few of them; there were no females on submarines when I served. But they definitely interest me.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
pipsters, "statistically, it is still the safest way to travel." -- Superman, regarding airline travel, after he prevented the jet from crashing in Superman Returns.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:33 PM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
Where I live, police officers, firefighters, and military almost always have the ring on their hand before the ink on their diplomas is even dry. It's like cockroaches on a crumb...for lack of a better metaphor.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:07 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
#7 on the male list must be a cruel joke. I am exhibit A.

In fact I'd argue that engineers are notoriously undatable; the stereotype of being robotic, parsimonious and socially inept, is very difficult to dispel... especially when it's true.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't even look.

I don't even read the profile. There will be time for that when we match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships