Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 6,000 times

Advertisements

So we just moved to a new house. We have spent the last week or so cleaning, packing, moving, cleaning and unpacking.

I just started taking night classes x3 nights a week - so on these days im up from 6 and dont get into bed around 11 - and thats if i go STRAIGHT to sleep when I get home.

We are planning a wedding (coming up in Sept) - so there's all the fun crap associated with that...

and I AM EXHAUSTED.

I work full time, have a 7 year old daughter and im just BEAT.

I got a call from her school today that i had FORGOTTEN to fill out her permission form for her field trip.

... i didnt even know she had a field trip coming up...

I havent helped her with homework hardly at ALL this week (my fiance is the one who watches her for me while im in class, and then on the nights i DONT have school im trying to do laundry and go grocery shopping, cleaning the house, studying and trying to still have time to go for a walk or find time to spend with my daughter and finace)

but its like its not ENOUGH. I never get through the laundry, or the dishes. It never seems like I have enough time to spend with my daughter or fiance.

I dont know how to manage my time to get everything done, and im starting to feel like a MAJOR slacker/screw up as a mother and a partner because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 07:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
You have a LOT going on. It's gonna feel overwhelming. It won't always be like that, though.

Make your daughter your priority. Your fiance is an adult.

If you feel like you need help, say so.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:21 AM

888 posts, read 556,072 times
Make sure your finance is doing his share, you can't carry the load all on your own. He should be helping with things like cleaning the house, dinner etc. Equal partnership right!?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Take less classes? Maybe do some online?

Ask your fiance for help, make a plan who does what and when.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:28 AM

9 posts, read 6,000 times
He has never (before us) had to be in the spot to be a father figure. 100% bachelor. We have been dating for 3 years, living together for 2 and slowly but surely he has started picking up more 'dad' jobs. like helping her with her homework and making her dinner etc.

I just feel like a dick being like "ok - here is MY kid - i know you are already picking her up from school and helping her with homework and feeding her and playing with her and tucking her in - but i ALSO need you to do some laundry and vacuum upstairs and and and..."... I dont want to overwhelm the poor guy!

as for night classes - that isnt an option. trust me - i looked into it!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM

well, I understand the way you are thinking but have you spoken with him about that? What is his view?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times
I think a lot of times we (meaning women) are our own worst critics.

OP, you've obviously got a lot going on and of course you're exhausted. But where does this "slacker" stuff come from?

Have you spoken to your fiance about it? Not just from a "I'd really appreciate your help" perspective, but letting him know how you truly are feeling? Would it help you to get reassurance from him?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeway View Post
I just feel like a dick being like "ok - here is MY kid - i know you are already picking her up from school and helping her with homework and feeding her and playing with her and tucking her in - but i ALSO need you to do some laundry and vacuum upstairs and and and..."... I dont want to overwhelm the poor guy!
Step back a minute. Has he told you that he's overwhelmed, or are you projecting your own feelings on him?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 AM

Are you worried he runs once he realizes what comes with marrying a woman with a child?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:40 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,455,225 times
It sounds like you need to cut yourself some slack. Guess what's going to happen if you DON'T vacuum upstairs? NOTHING!!! Go easier on yourself - not everything must be done as it used to be done nor done as often - when you give yourself permission to be a regular human being versus Superwoman/Mom/Student/Worker, you'll find things a little easier, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships