Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 04:06 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboll View Post
Can't it just be that she really is a lazy person? Why do they always have to be excused?
hmm.... another New Member. 3 in one afternoon, on Relationships. That must be some kind of record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Let's apply the same mentality we do when women complain about men not doing household chores and say...she is just being a lazy leech who needs to be kicked to the curve ...aaaaanyways, yes, depression can be a reason or not.
I asked if she was like that wen he married her, if she was then she isn't going to change.

If it is something new, then there might be another cause for her actions.

I would say the same thing about a man doing the same thing in a marriage.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboll View Post
Can't it just be that she really is a lazy person? Why do they always have to be excused?
Hey, I'm a lazy person.

That doesn't mean I won't do household chores, tho. It just means I won't LIKE doing them. :-)

Old 03-23-2016, 04:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Why does the house look like it's been hit by a bomb?

Old 03-23-2016, 04:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
Then I guess you need to do some cleaning, then tell her to clean up after herself, or she will be living at her mom's again.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:15 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Why does the house look like it's been hit by a bomb?
That's what I was wondering. I suspect the OP throws his clothes around, and expects his surrogate mom to pick up after him. Also curious as to who does the dishes after dinner, or if they both throw them in the sink and let them pile up and grow mold.

Who does the cooking? A fair rule is that whoever does the cooking, the other person does the dishes. If someone goes to the store and brings home prepared foods, there's hardly any dishes to do, anyway.

If you do the little things as they come up, then there shouldn't be anything to do during the day, besides basic maintenance-type stuff: vacuuming & dusting, once/week. There's no reason for the house to look like a bomb went off every single day. Or at all. Something's wrong with this picture.

I wonder if this topic is part of the Spring Break internet project at the local school....
4 brand-new members within the last hour and a half, or so.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:21 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Hire a housekeeper then.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:25 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,282,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
People on this thread already are doing that, onihC. She's lazy, "drop this deadbeat" (direct quote), etc. Sorry that's not good enough for you.
"Do you want us to talk to your wife?...poor woman she must be going through depression..."

Even your comment on page one suggests it is not really HER fault 100% but something that the husband did like making her angry or made her feel underappreciated. Not exactly the same things that are posted when a woman is the one complaining about a man not doing household chores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Hire a housekeeper then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what I was wondering. I suspect the OP throws his clothes around, and expects his surrogate mom to pick up after him. Also curious as to who does the dishes after dinner, or if they both throw them in the sink and let them pile up and grow mold.
Has to be his fault I guess.

Quote:
If you do the little things as they come up, then there shouldn't be anything to do during the day, besides basic maintenance-type stuff: vacuuming & dusting, once/week. There's no reason for the house to look like a bomb went off every single day. Or at all. Something's wrong with this picture
Can't be her fault.

Quote:
I wonder if this topic is part of the Spring Break internet project at the local school....
4 brand-new members within the last hour and a half, or so.
Let's just pretend it is a woman complaining about her man not doing household chores and you might see it differently and not like a school project.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:27 PM

92 posts, read 70,146 times
Leave her

Old 03-23-2016, 04:29 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I was horrifically depressed for the couple of years that I was a mom at home without a job, too. I did keep the house very clean but the depression was awful, awful. Dragging myself out of bed yet one more day to scrub offal off every possible surface knowing I'd get zero thanks while my husband want to work, came home and was told by the whole world what a wonderful, hard worker he was...there were days I literally just wanted to jump off a building. I was even on medication. It was awful. Just awful.

I never, ever, ever, ever, ever want to be in that position again. I now work from home. I work daily. NOTHING else would work for me but this...minimum. I actually make money and I actually have some "pull" in this way. Nothing else made my husband respect me, you could have performed surgery on the kitchen floor at that time and he still wouldn't have respected a single thing I did, IT WAS HELL. I used to eye the bottle of antidepressants and fantasize about taking them all and driving off some place where nobody would find me for, you know, long enough.

The irony is now that I do LESS cleaning (though my house is still always at least neat...generally, neater than any of my friends' homes, I just don't like messiness), I now get MORE respect. I could have worked then until I died at cleaning and would have gotten zero respect...from anyone...it didn't matter. I'd never trade that time again, which is a shame as that's when my kids were little...that time will never come again. The memories that could have been good are entirely overshadowed by my misery over how things were and though this may seem extreme, I know I'm not alone in this reaction...I've heard it from other women (it always seems to be women???)...some are just quieter about it than others.

Of course, I have no idea whether this is the OP's situation...just commenting on the whole depression possibility.
How can you respect your husband when he is the kind of person who will have this kind of attitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships