Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM

625 posts, read 952,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How many dates have you been on? What do you mean "visiting" her? Do you live in different cities?

We went on five or six dates over the past couple weeks during the weekends. We both live in the same city. I now perfectly understand why she would want to be left alone for a couple weeks, so she can recuperate after the dental surgery. Honestly, after reading all these responses, I actually feel guilty that I complained on here about waiting for a couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
My girlfriend and I started dating a few weeks ago. She told me last weekend that I can't see her for two weeks because she is having surgery done on her teeth. I would be ok with seeing her even after two of her teeth were removed by the dentist for a crown replacement. We still text each other, of course. I just didn't understand why she would be so worried about her appearance if I am her boyfriend. I understand that people in relationships want to look their best. But since we are dating exclusively, shouldn't she be ok with us seeing each other regardless of our appearances?
Just don't see her for these two weeks but assure her that you don't care about her appearance.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
We went on five or six dates over the past couple weeks during the weekends. We both live in the same city. I now perfectly understand why she would want to be left alone for a couple weeks, so she can recuperate after the dental surgery. Honestly, after reading all these responses, I actually feel guilty that I complained on here about waiting for a couple weeks.
Just keep in contact with her to see how she's doing, but give her time to respond. If it's major surgery, she could be knocked out on pain pills the first few days. Are you going to be able to see her beforehand?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:03 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Exactly. When I don't feel well, I just want to be left alone to "die" in peace. However, I do appreciate people texting to check on me to make sure I'm still alive and to ask if I need anything.

I did have a friend come to the hospital recently when I was in the ER because I didn't know what was going on and after awhile, I got scared and didn't want to be alone. It turned out to be yet another kidney stone, which was a surprise because it was so completely unlike the others.
Something in that made me sad. It reminded me of that time when I was badly hurt and thought I was going to die.

I didn't contact anyone, I just looked for a hidden spot thinking I'm going to wake up to the faces of my uncle and some other friends.

Oh well, I can still visit their headstones.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Do you know where she lives? Every third or fourth day head up to her place unannounced, quietly leave some flowers or other small gift on her doorstep with a little get well note, then leave without ringing the doorbell.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:34 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I personally, think two weeks is a silly amount of time not to see my girlfriend. One cant possibly be in pain for that long.
When I had a wisdom tooth removal it took a month with infection to find right antibiotics etc. Things are not always easy and smooth as you would wish to. My cheek was a size of melon..

Also I had some other thing for 3 months once and a guy did not believe it. Not my fault, it only shows how rude, uncaring , selfish and unsympathic a guy is. It is better to know it right away and not get involved with so cold guys anyways.

With a study, guys are more willingly leave their sick spouse

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...5599307716.jpg

Husbands more likely than wives to seek divorce when partner falls sick, says study | Daily Mail Online

"Promising at the altar to have and to hold your loved one, in sickness and in health,
A study shows that a couple is more likely to divorce if the wife falls ill."

Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 AM

914 posts, read 738,363 times
Quote:
Yay, an OP who listened to the advise he was given!!

The OP reminded me of the time when I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth surgically removed at the same time (they hadn't come out yet). It wasn't nice nor a pretty sight. Swollen and bruised cheeks. Bleeding. I couldn't even physically open my mouth for ages. I would NOT have wanted to see a newish boyfriend during the ~2 weeks it took me to get back to normal. Don't take it personal

I think this is a really lovely idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Do you know where she lives? Every third or fourth day head up to her place unannounced, quietly leave some flowers or other small gift on her doorstep with a little get well note, then leave without ringing the doorbell.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:59 AM

1,199 posts, read 731,225 times
Sounds like a drama queen to me.

But if that's what she wants....take your free time and do fun things for yourself or with your friends.

Don't beg or push. If she's a drama queen, she'll feed off the attention of you begging and pushing to see her and her denying.

If she's not and just is embarrassed of the recovery and wants to be alone, same situation. Don't push or beg, just go do other things.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
With a study, guys are more willingly leave their sick spouse

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...5599307716.jpg

Husbands more likely than wives to seek divorce when partner falls sick, says study | Daily Mail Online

"Promising at the altar to have and to hold your loved one, in sickness and in health,
A study shows that a couple is more likely to divorce if the wife falls ill."
Not sure why you're trying to derail this thread with some gender-bashing. I also find it humorous that you think "Daily Mail Online" has the ability to truly analyze and critically reflect on any study about anything, ever.

This is a topic very close to my heart. 6 months after we met, my wife (girlfriend at the time) was diagnosed with cancer. It was a rough year. If you know anything about chemotherapy, you know how it almost kills you. The physical side effects are truly terrible, but the emotional side effects are even worse. SPOILER ALERT: I called her my wife - present tense. Now she's 30+ weeks pregnant. Not once did I ever consider leaving. The kicker here is that I know countless other guys who would do the exact same thing in that position.

So please, get out of here with your gender-bashing which is probably against the TOS anyway. There are plenty of guys out there that wouldn't think on it. The OP is a perfect example. He WANTS to be supportive. That's why I suggested the "leave her surprise flowers" thing. He WANTS to be there for her but she's embarrassed about her physical state. That's totally fine. Clandestine gift-giving is the perfect way to offer her support while she saves face. It's win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships