Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

I recently met someone whose company I enjoy, but he doesn't fit anything on the mental checklist I have - keep in mind this is a checklist that has to do with me not repeating the same mistakes I have made in the past, so it is for MY benefit, to weed out men who are similar to men I've dated/married in the past (unsuccessfully, obviously).

So, this gentleman does not really fit any of the criteria, and he does bear a lot of the hallmarks of men I have dated in the past. To be fair I don't fit into a lot of the things he says he wants out of a relationship either. Yet here we are, dating and trying to make it work. I'm wondering if I'm being foolish...Any of you run into this sort of situation, making it work with someone who isn't necessarily your "type" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 AM

355 posts, read 615,709 times
Throw away the checklist. Have him do the same. Stay together as long as it's fun. Once you feel like you get more negative than positive emotions out of the relationship, end it.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Depends on what's on your checklist. The only things on mine are total dealbreakers. If that's true of y'all, don't waste your time.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I recently met someone whose company I enjoy, but he doesn't fit anything on the mental checklist I have - keep in mind this is a checklist that has to do with me not repeating the same mistakes I have made in the past, so it is for MY benefit, to weed out men who are similar to men I've dated/married in the past (unsuccessfully, obviously).

So, this gentleman does not really fit any of the criteria, and he does bear a lot of the hallmarks of men I have dated in the past. To be fair I don't fit into a lot of the things he says he wants out of a relationship either. Yet here we are, dating and trying to make it work. I'm wondering if I'm being foolish...Any of you run into this sort of situation, making it work with someone who isn't necessarily your "type" ?
What are you "making work" though, exactly? You're simply wasting each others time money emotions etc. Are you both lonely? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause this type of relationship.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
What is it that you enjoy about his company? What are the things that remind you of past men? Perhaps these are things that are common of most people and not necessary gender specific. There is a difference between red flags and common denominators in people. Are you able to filter the bad from the good or are you merely speculating based upon one or two small details?

I say, if you enjoy his company then keep it going until it either wears itself out, or turns into something more meaningful. Just don't sabotage the thing before it's had a chance to get off the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships