Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:16 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No the point of the thread is that if someone is having difficulty with their social life, they might want to look at THEMSELVES as a more effective solution than whining.
I agree that whining isn't a solution, but maybe there is no solution for them. Maybe they've already tried to look at themselves.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,713 times
OP you pointed to a very small sample where men not meeting the norm has a wife or g/f because of some reasons or another.

That's like going to the beach and taking some sea water in a pail and come to the conclusion from that small pail of water that oceans don't have whales

So many permutations based on so many personalities and impossible to predict, that's how I see dating.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I agree that whining isn't a solution, but maybe there is no solution for them. Maybe they've already tried to look at themselves.

All evidence to the contrary?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Then get help from a professional to look at them.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:31 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Dating has gotten harder for sure so I can see why some men have gotten frustrated. Some literally stop trying because who wants to be rejected all the time? Dating is supposed to be fun but it's not.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Then get help from a professional to look at them.
Maybe they've done that. I'm just trying to be sympathetic to their plight here.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Dating has gotten harder for sure so I can see why some men have gotten frustrated. Some literally stop trying because who wants to be rejected all the time? Dating is supposed to be fun but it's not.
It can be.

But dating today is easier than ever. You should have tried it in the 80s or 90s. Communication was hard, you had to sometimes get through parents screening calls, after that, you had to leave voicemails on answering machines and wait, people only started to have email addresses well into the 90s, then cell phones weren't common until the late 90s.

Now, you can text whenever, and you can jump online, set a profile, and set up some dates in no time.

Dating has never been easier.

Quote:
Maybe they've done that. I'm just trying to be sympathetic to their plight here.
If it doesn't work the first time, do it again. Doesn't work the second, do it again. Just like anything else worth doing, you keep doing it until you get it right (like applying for a job, or learning a skill). If someone thinks it isn't worth doing any more to try to fix whatever, that's certainly a valid choice. Go ahead and stop trying to date. But complaining about a choice a person makes for themselves makes no sense.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
And maybe they aren't awesome people. I know people who are unimpressive all around who are still in relationships. Was the point of this thread to say that if they can get into relationships, anyone can?
To me it sounds like a thread to make fun of people unable to get into relationships. I see cheap shots like this all the time on this forum. Where is the compassion and understanding? Just because you had it easy with dating doesn't mean others were as fortunate as you. Stop being mean and have some empathy.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It can be.

But dating today is easier than ever. You should have tried it in the 80s or 90s. Communication was hard, you had to sometimes get through parents screening calls, after that, you had to leave voicemails on answering machines and wait, people only started to have email addresses well into the 90s, then cell phones weren't common until the late 90s.

Now, you can text whenever, and you can jump online, set a profile, and set up some dates in no time.

Dating has never been easier.
I was toddler at that time but I'm 26 now and yes I have struggled with dating and meeting women in my life. With all these connections out there dating and meeting women should be easy, but it hasn't been.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:42 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Dating itself hasn't gotten harder, but it has become more difficult to meet someone because people rely too much on technology. I also think people are too used to instant gratification these days and are impatient.

To many people expect apps and online dating sites to be the be all, end all. Maybe you are too young to remember personal ads, but back in the day, no one in his or her right mind would think the personal ads where the be all end all of finding someone. It's a poor way to find a good match. You might try it, but you relied more heavily on meeting people in person. Dates were harder to come by too because you had to work at getting out and finding people. The online dating might expose you to more people, but it also exposes you to more people who are not a good match for you as well.

Dating is not fun when you are dating the wrong person. Dating is a lot of fun when you find the right person. You have to accept the downside to get the good side, accept the risk of rejection to get the reward of finding the right person, etc. And finding that right person is a lot of work. The whole, old cliche about kissing a lot of frogs exists for a reason.

Another part of the problem is in this day and age you get a lot more rejections because, frankly, you get a lot more dates due to the technology or at least get to ask out more women due to technology. AKA a whole lot more frogs and bad matches to bring down your spirits. Before online dating, you didn't ask out 100-200 women in one evening. So you didn't get 199 rejections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships