Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I give him a note with my number?
Guys - Yes! 7 36.84%
Guys - No! 4 21.05%
Gals - Yes! 0 0%
Gals - No! 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:14 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,975,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Seriously.

Handing him my number would take WAY more balls than just saying hi.

It skips a couple of steps, too.
Maybe a two minute meeting would be all a person needs to crumple up the piece of paper behind their back that they were going to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,880,883 times
If he doesn't call...it would be awkward and you won't know why.
Maybe he's married or has an SO or...
Better to just find a situation to start a conversation IMO

Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,263,301 times
You need some game. How about buying a bottle of water, stand near him, and say hi. Smile and pretend you can.t get the cap off the water and hand it to him.
Or play coy and ask a question about one of the machines. That may strart up a spark of conversation.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
You need some game. How about buying a bottle of water, stand near him, and say hi. Smile and pretend you can.t get the cap off the water and hand it to him.
Or play coy and ask a question about one of the machines. That may strart up a spark of conversation.
That's a great idea - maybe even ask if he'd show you how a machine is used.

True story - when I belonged to a gym for a few months several years ago, I only used the treadmill, stair climber, rowing machine, and the stationary bike because they were all I knew how to use. If there had been a guy there that caught my eye (sadly, there wasn't, except for the eighty year old vet who occasionally used the treadmill next to me but he caught my eye in a different way as in I really admired him) I would have taken the following approach.

I would have walked by wherever he was working out and ask him if he could show me how to do (whatever he was doing) since I am such a gym noob. Even if a guy doesn't find you attractive I can't imagine he wouldn't use such an opportunity to show off what he knows.

I would not and have never been as presumptuous as to hand a guy a slip of paper with my number. Who even does that anymore? It seems like something from the 1970s, when a shady lady in a cocktail bar would hand a guy her number on a soggy cocktail napkin. Nowadays when guys ask for a number, they type it right into their mobile phones.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,052,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
If she can't open a bottle of water, then the gym isn't doing her much good. He may give her a funny sideways look.

I would definitely just start saying "hi" when you see him. If you both want it, more conversation will follow. And then you can take things from there. During the course of normal conversation you'll start to learn more about him, including whether or not he's seeing anybody. If you have the green light and he still hasn't asked you out, THEN you can ask him out. I wouldn't just slip him a piece of paper with the number, personally. I don't know...I wouldn't like it if a guy did that to me either. Just slipped me a paper without saying anything? I'd definitely not call.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,949,095 times
The guy that is the subject of the o.p.'s interest is gay. Not because he hasn't made any effort at contact, but because he is in a gym AND he hasn't made any effort at contact.

I could go further and wonder out loud why women have to be so highly selective that they can only find gay men attractive enough to crush on,but I have to get back to work.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,744,496 times
You can't get what you want without asking for it. Tell him you've "noticed" him for a while and that you'd like to go out with him. What about it? You have absolutely nothing to lose.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:26 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,456,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The guy that is the subject of the o.p.'s interest is gay. Not because he hasn't made any effort at contact, but because he is in a gym AND he hasn't made any effort at contact.
You clearly have not read the "Eye Contact Question" thread. Here's the Cliff Notes version: Guy and girl stare at each other all the time at the gym. Girl has dropped several hints she's interested. Guy (aka OP) needs more time and more assurance she's interested before he can make a move/go for the kill/take it out of the gym.

Over a month later, he still doesn't have her number. Until the OP mentioned she's never talked to Gym Guy, I seriously wondered if this was the counterpart to that thread.

OP, I agree with the others. Find a way to say hello and see what transpires from there.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:42 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
Let me answer for the majority of guys in these types of situation.

Ladies, it is NEVER 'unladylike' to EVER flirt with a guy or give him a note with your phone number and small message to ask to meet later.

Trust me, most guys would be flattered, and the worst they can say is no or smile and ignore the request.

I mean, look at how often guys on here lament how they are so unsuccessful with women. Don't you think it would be easier for them if women started taking the initiative?

Life is not always about rigid social rules and norms. It's not always the guy that pursues or wants to pursue the girl. Once a girl approaches a guy and they start to date, that psychological hurdle for the guy has been overcome and he can now be more relaxed and confident with a girl.

Now, I get it that there are double standards with this. A guy should never do the same and leave a note with phone number and message to a random girl in public he is attracted to. That always looks creepy and weak. Guys who want to initiate contact have to do more like chat her up and ask for her number in public. And I'm sure many women would agree.

But again, for many of us guys, it's the opposite. We'd probably think it's cute and if it's a girl we instantly feel attracted to, a big bonus.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,949,095 times
Sorry SG I cannot agree with anything you've said. No matter that your observations are correct, the fact is that the average guy is still the average guy. Gym guy is NOT average. He knows it! That doesn't mean he will never date an average gal but not because she drops a phone number on him at the gym. It's above our pay grade to try and tell an average woman how to make contact with an above average guy. There are no rules. What I know is that the "Hi" approach will come off as desperate as it sounds. Why can't men and women find attractive the people they actually interact with?! Why is that so hard? But, I don't know... why not ask the guy for a spot for bench presses? Involve him somehow. Ask him something. Be casual. Give him a way to save face, as well as yourself. And none of this addresses the fact that he is gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships