Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I give him a note with my number?
Guys - Yes! 7 36.84%
Guys - No! 4 21.05%
Gals - Yes! 0 0%
Gals - No! 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What I know is that the "Hi" approach will come off as desperate as it sounds.
Yes, nothing says "bottom of the barrel" more than a friendly "hi!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You can't get what you want without asking for it. Tell him you've "noticed" him for a while and that you'd like to go out with him. What about it? You have absolutely nothing to lose.
I can't count the number of women I saw in my single days that I wondered about. I will NEVER know if they were single, available, interested, not interested... it wasn't possible to enter their world or I didn't think so at the time. I met my ex-wife cold, because I spoke up on a bus we were both riding. Ex-wife. I don't think I will ever again be excited when someone I've asked for their phone number gives it to me. The correct number! The common thread of all these posts is that its got to be this guy or this woman. No, it doesn't. I've passed up dozens if not more attractive women and lots of guys have done the same. So what, there will be more, there's always more. Tomorrow is another day.

In a thread on here someone polled men and women as to how often they see a really pretty or hot member of the opposite sex. The guys said every day. This jibes with my experience. Every single day out and about I see one or more really nice looking women. The women all said rarely. One said it had been years, like 3 years since she'd seen a cute guy. So when a woman says she is crushing on a dude I know he is exceptional. And why would a man that exceptional be available to be picked up simply because some woman comes up to him and says "hey, I've been checking you out for some time now, wanna date?" I don't think so.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, nothing says "bottom of the barrel" more than a friendly "hi!"

But is it a friendly "hi" or is it loaded with portent? Is the next question "are you married"? Of course it is. So... I remain unconvinced. Avoid awkward "hi" scenarios and meet people online where they are expecting to be "hi'ed", or arrange a proper introduction through gym personnel (I'm serious), or just be charming when someone chats you up at the hand sanitizer. Pay it forward.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:02 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
People are so freaking scared to talk to one another these days. I just don't get it. At this rate the human race is going to die off.

I agree with everyone who said to say "hi" or otherwise strike up a conversation. You're probably not "shy," you simply lack confidence or worry too much about the risk of putting yourself out there. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And for another cliche, life is too short to wait around for what you want. Go for it!

Old 05-16-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
But is it a friendly "hi" or is it loaded with portent? Is the next question "are you married"? Of course it is.
"Loaded with portent"? LOL It's a greeting.

What an odd, restricted and depressing mindset to live in, where a "hi" is forboding and ALWAYS followed by, "Are you married?," and men who don't automatically hump you are gay. And I can't imagine many things more awkward than asking the people who work at the gym to play matchmaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_ View Post
There's a guy at the gym where we both have been checking each other out for the last few months. However, neither one of us have said anything to each other.
OP has detected something between her and this guy that has motivated her enough to come out of her shell. I say she should do what typical, reasonable people do when they see someone interesting and initiate a conversation.

She certainly could be wrong about his interest in her. But life is too short for endless speculation.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:16 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Or, she could ignore him completely. His curiosity or lack thereof, will give her the answer she wants and let her save face.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:28 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
People are so freaking scared to talk to one another these days. I just don't get it. At this rate the human race is going to die off.
THIS, OMG, What happened to people???

I am surprised most people still somehow stumble into a relationship even though they think like that.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:29 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
The guy that is the subject of the o.p.'s interest is gay. Not because he hasn't made any effort at contact, but because he is in a gym AND he hasn't made any effort at contact.

Maybe he is also debating this on an internet forum and is worried to come off as stalkerish or creepy.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Maybe he is also debating this on an internet forum and is worried to come off as stalkerish or creepy.
I can think of two other gym threads recently where guys were mysteriously paralyzed by their uncertainty over talking to a woman there.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:38 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,392 times
When you next see him, hold eye contact, nod, smile and say "hey," as if you were acknowledging an acquaintance you already know.

He will either say "hey" back and move on, or stop and chat. If he moves on, it does not mean he dislikes like you; you simply caught him off guard. He may make up for it later when you/he he leaves and he makes an effort to say goodbye; or the next time he sees you and says "hello" first.

If, however, he suddenly stops paying attention to you then he is probably not into you and finding out cost you nothing in terms of pride, ego, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_ View Post
There's a guy at the gym where we both have been checking each other out for the last few months. However, neither one of us have said anything to each other.

I'm too shy to approach him and I'm starting to think that perhaps he's just not that interested to approach me since it has taken so long. But I have the biggest crush on him and I almost can't get over someone unless someone new comes along or I get rejected.

I see him looking at me all the time and comes by me almost each time he sees me at the gym. I was thinking of walking pass him one day while he's resting between exercises and just drop him a note with my number. I find that easier than to interrupt him and talk to him, or trying to talk to him when dozens of people are around trying to work out.

Would the note be too desperate? Guys, would you be turned off if someone did that to you? I don't know what else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships