Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 08:01 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,873,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I have hung out in neighborhoods with a lot of single men, especially IT workers, and I have picked up on a trend. These guys will typically follow you in Whole Foods, Target - where ever you are - and either stare at you (if they are brave) or just stand within close proximity to you, AND SAY NOTHING. They are hoping that you will initiate conversation or something.

Anyone else noticing this?

I can't see how this tactic is successful, because most women today still don't have the guts to hit on men.
Well, IT has is not a profession known for harboring a bunch of lady killers.

One question though, are these mostly American men? The reason why I ask is because in some cultures (mostly Middle Eastern cultures and some Asian cultures) a common form of courtship is to follow a woman you like for some distance and if she acknowledges you; that means she is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Passivity of men can is the result of two things....

1. Men being raised by single mothers OR

2. Men being raised by a passive father

Most guys act this way because they have never been taught how to be leaders. They haven't been taught how to be confident. They haven't been taught how to develop good communication skills. How to be bold. Aggressive. To go after what they want. To not take rejection seriously.

As a result many men go through high school....college and into their 20's or 30's.....never getting the results they want.

These men are not to blame. Those that raised them are.

I sympathize with these guys because I used to be one.

Only one way to bounce out of this type of shy passive behavior is through mentorship.

If I hadn't of met the mentors that I did 6 years ago I still would be.
I would add a third one.

A guy who either hasn't been in a relationship for a long time OR a guy who has been in a long-term relationship (especially when they are young) who are recently single.

I knew a guy who was a friend of my friend's older brother. He was about 20 at the time. He was with the same girl since he was 14 and they recently broke up. Now, he was a good looking guy. He used to play football in high school, about 6'2, blond hair, and muscular. Basically if you were looking to cast the jock bully antagonist in a 1980s comedy; he'd be exactly what you'd have in mind. Although he was actually a rather nice guy. Anyway, he was surprisingly horrible with women. He would walk up to them, try to make akward conversation along the lines of, "Uh, yeah, it's nice in here, huh?", lose his nerve and quickly retreat. The thing is that he was with his girl for so long he never really developed flirting or coversational skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
To some extent, this is very true.
Specific detailed examples of a guy having a passive father? What are the characteristics of a passive father?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:58 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,913,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
Specific detailed examples of a guy having a passive father? What are the characteristics of a passive father?

Passive fathers: minimally involved with the raising, teaching, and sending positive, principled messages to their sons. Oftentimes, these fathers are overly invested in their careers and climbing the career ladder.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Passive fathers: minimally involved with the raising, teaching, and sending positive, principled messages to their sons. Oftentimes, these fathers are overly invested in their careers and climbing the career ladder.
I wonder if there is a whole book on this topic on how fathers can easily fail in raising their sons, and being passive around them, giving specific details on how he fails to raise, teach and send positive principal messages

Old 07-05-2016, 03:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,315,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
At least they had their father's I never met mine because he left when I was born.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
At least they had their father's I never met mine because he left when I was born.
The results are much the same. Adult males who have no idea how to be men in modern society.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
I wonder if there is a whole book on this topic on how fathers can easily fail in raising their sons, and being passive around them, giving specific details on how he fails to raise, teach and send positive principal messages
Yes there are many of them. They are called parenting books.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,315,656 times
The majority of women (not all) won't approach a man. It is probably best if men make the first move because it will give them more results instead of waiting around for something that won't happen.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The majority of women (not all) won't approach a man. It is probably best if men make the first move because it will give them more results instead of waiting around for something that won't happen.
Generally what will stop me from approaching is because I'm horrible at flirting and teasing, primarily only able to have basic friendly platonic small talk and conversations and obviously that won't go anywhere

Old 07-05-2016, 07:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,034,899 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, 49ers. Truly truly sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships