Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 08:53 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,090,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why guys should never take dating advice from women.
These guys HAVE been ignoring what women say we actually want (because what do we know?) and following the conventional guy wisdom and are getting nowhere. They come on here to say they can't get dates and solicit more advice. Not from women, of course. That's clear from all the "no, this is how things REALLY are" replies to women.

But then they're back again to get more advice that hasn't worked in the past.

Okay, then.

The guys who come on here and complain the MOST about never getting dates are the ones who jump to happily agree with other guys that there's something wrong with women and that society is horrible and makes relationships impossible and blah blah, and insist women are full of it in our replies.

How's that working for y.....Oh yeah. That's right. Never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 AM

477 posts, read 315,706 times
Quote:
This thread is a perfect example of why guys should never take dating advice from women.
But, what is your advice to these men exactly?

Short men BE taller, Fat men BE thinner, Bald men STOP being bald. Or just step aside "ugly" guys and let the good-looking ones have their way.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,090,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post

Short men BE taller, Fat men BE thinner, Bald man STOP being bald. Or just step aside "ugly" guys and let the good-looking ones have their way.
Exactly.

Perhaps the useful question would be: how did all the many, many decidedly average in looks (or below average) who are in relationships, manage to hook up and marry and so on?

Because they do. Every single day. Look around.

Wouldn't that be more useful?

How useful is it to tell a man he should be taller?

Or am I just crazy?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,329,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
These guys HAVE been ignoring what women say we actually want (because what do we know?) and following the conventional guy wisdom and are getting nowhere. They come on here to say they can't get dates and solicit more advice. Not from women, of course. That's clear from all the "no, this is how things REALLY are" replies to women.

But then they're back again to get more advice that hasn't worked in the past.

Okay, then.

The guys who come on here and complain the MOST about never getting dates are the ones who jump to happily agree with other guys that there's something wrong with women and that society is horrible and makes relationships impossible and blah blah, and insist women are full of it in our replies.

How's that working for y.....Oh yeah. That's right. Never mind.
JAG has a great point I listened to women's advice on here and it got me nowhere with women. I even listened to my mom's advice and it didn't help me at all. Whenever I listened to a man's advice I got somewhere. Not saying women are bad people but whenever I listened to their dating advice it never worked and brought me constant rejection.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,092,024 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Perhaps the useful question would be: how did all the many, many decidedly average in looks (or below average) who are in relationships, manage to hook up and marry and so on?

Or am I just crazy?
No, but it is useful to tell them to get thinner. I shaved my head starting around 22 and it worked great for me, but lets set that aside. I did here from lady friends that oh, build doesn't matter, you look great (when I was paunchy), its not a big deal to women, or "lots of girls like a little meat", "women don't care about muscles, guys do that for other guys" etc in my 20s. When I said F this and made going to the gym/running an everyday thing (well I take one day off a week), and did it year after year, and gave up all soda, almost all junk food, etc things improved, and now I get "I really like running my arms along your triceps". So yes, get the hell in shape. It helps. That is a decision everyone can make.

That said, the advice I get from my female friends once I'm dating someone has been FAR better than the stuff I hear from dude friends, in part I think because I don't see the world the way women see it. Society reacts to men and women differently so I miss things they see, or don't think of things they think of. The advice to find a relationship? Nah, not so good.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,013,920 times
Quote:
I have to agree with this.

Throughout my life the advice of female friends, relatives, acquaintances, strangers and magazine article writers essentially distilled down to, "Do what I say but not what I do." They would swear up and down that they -- and other women -- wanted a specific type of man, but would always choose to be with the exact opposite.

I am not saying all women are like that. But their advice on dating should not automatically be trusted.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,329,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I have to agree with this.

Throughout my life the advice of female friends, relatives, acquaintances, strangers and magazine article writers essentially distilled down to, "Do what I say but not what I do." They would swear up and down that they -- and other women -- wanted a specific type of man, but would always choose to be with the exact opposite.

I am not saying all women are like that. But their advice on dating should not automatically be trusted.
I have had women tell me women don't care about looks which I know is bullcrap. Not saying women give bad advice on dating but every woman is different. Like you said, I automatically don't trust it because it made me fail in the past.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,923,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post

Short men BE taller, Fat men BE thinner, Bald men STOP being bald. Or just step aside "ugly" guys and let the good-looking ones have their way.
Simple. Figure out the attributes that are going to increase their mate value and develop the ones they have control over.

When it comes to looks, this would be things like get in shape, dress well, be well groomed, get enough sleep, have a good diet, take care of one's teeth, get appropriate hair styles (how many women would be fine with combovers... yeah, that's what I thought).

Old 07-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

Or am I just crazy?
Yes you are crazy. Either that or you have not been reading my posts.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Guys should not be listening to what the Manopshere baby-men are telling them either, nor should they be listening to the pick up artists. They should be paying attention to what the science based research tells them about what will help them to have successful relationships with women. There is plenty of it out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships