Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:07 PM

166 posts, read 135,404 times

Advertisements

Why is it, that on dating profiles, social media photos etc. People go and post photos of themselves, that are months or even years old? When we are in a day and age of technology that it takes a mere couple of seconds to snap a photo with any type of hand held phone? Is it really THAT hard to take a photo? What do you think of people who are too lazy to take a new photo of themselves etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:24 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Give me a slightly older photo of someone actually out and about, doing something over a selfie any day of the week.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikumiku View Post
Why is it, that on dating profiles, social media photos etc. People go and post photos of themselves, that are months or even years old? When we are in a day and age of technology that it takes a mere couple of seconds to snap a photo with any type of hand held phone? Is it really THAT hard to take a photo? What do you think of people who are too lazy to take a new photo of themselves etc.
a) they don't like taking photos of themselves
b) they don't think they're photogenic
c) they think they're only photogenic in certain photos
d) they don't like the way they look due to age, weight gain, or imperfections they think they have

In any case, outdated photos are extremely common when it comes to online dating. There were a number of profiles that had outdated photos, but most were fairly recent, within 6ish months or so? I changed my photos probably everyone few weeks? They were always very recent.

My husband had several photos that ranged from years old to taken within a few weeks. He didn't look that different in his older photos.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Because they want to look their best, and their "best" photo may have happened at some time in the past.

You'll never be able to trust online photos 100%. People aren't necessarily trying to be awful or anything, they just realize that "prettier" people will get more looks and respond more readily.

And in some cases, people see themselves as they "used to" be; hence, they think, "Wow, NONE of these (recent) photos truly capture me; I'll need to stick with that one from 2003."

Bottom line: it's people doing what they think they have to do in order to set up that date. These are not necessarily "bad" or overall deceitful people, but don't trust ANY online photo 100%. You may be surprised once you meet up.

Have you been looking for a job? Have you given any thought to everyone's previous input about how you need to bring something to the table? Right now none of this is about "the other guy." It's about you. Don't point fingers or find fault with the next person. Instead, work on having something to offer of your own, and then start thinking about dating. JMO.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Why do people who are obviously new to OLD think that these basic questions have not been addressed ad nauseum?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Their mug broke the various electronic camera devices.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
I was duped by this once, I believe with the first girl I ever met online. It was not on a dating site though.

I swear the picture was 5 years. She looked at least 5 or maybe even 10 years older, she looked older than she was when I met her, so I doubt it was quite 10 years old. As she would have been approximately 11 or 12 years old if it were a 10 year old picture. She appeared to be close to the age she was at the time, but she looked nothing like it in the picture.

5-10 years older and 75-ish pound heavier. Luckily she didn't like me much when we met either. Thank god for that.

My longtime ex-girlfriend had a friend who could pull a Houdini act with cameras. She posted all these myspace and friendster pictures that made her look 100 pounds lighter. Even in full body shots! Neither of us could believe how she was pulling these off. And whenever someone would tag her in pictures on there, she wouldn't accept them to be linked to her profile. Because they were taken by someone else and were much closer to what she really looked like.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
OLD seems important to a lot of people.... I said this in another thread. If it is important, actually have a photographer create an appropriate series of photos for use with profiles. I boggles my mind how people invest so much personal energy into OLD but will cheep out on a the one thing people notice first in a profile.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Film is expensive.

[]

Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why do people who are obviously new to OLD think that these basic questions have not been addressed ad nauseum?
The OP has been doing OLD for years. She used to post here under another name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships