Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 02:02 PM

52,284 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Since there is so much yaking about food and a lot of it is because of me. I was wondering what the foodies here think of regarding "fake" sugar.

I'm trying to eliminate diet sodas and I have in a lot of ways, I've cut way back. I'm trying to switch over to drinking unsweetened ice tea and was wonder what the best sweetener is, preferably low/no calorie. I know that the quick got to answer would be honey but that imparts too much of its own unique flavor at times.

I've been researching things and it seems like Stevia is ok, I guess, I keep reading sites that sorta push it than others say no, so my head is spinning.

I've been using a stevia blend with another product, I forget what it is called, but it's in liquid form and I've been using it in my coffee in the mornings. I just noticed now that in the office they have "stevia in the raw" packets.

Not sure what the heck to use. I don't like things sweet, I just wanna dial back the bitterness that sometimes tea and coffee can have. Just enough to get it sorta neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 02:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Chow - I used to be a two-heaping-teaspoons-per-cup sugar in my coffee drinker in my 20s. When I went on a diet, I had to swap it out for an artificial sweetener. It tasted so bad, I just skipped it altogether and after about a week, I didn't miss the sugar in the coffee. In fact, it's repulsive now, 20-odd years later. You can cut the bitterness with heavy cream. If you're doing a keto/Atkin's/paleo style diet, you need the fat.

For tea: get the flavored kind and you won't miss the sugar. Yogi teas come in delicious flavors, like spiced orange, Mayan chili chocolate, etc. Earl Grey is so tasty it needs nothing.

If you're trying for low(er) glycemic index sweetener, try agave syrup in place of honey. It has a much milder taste. Maple syrup is also good if the taste harmonizes. I avoid chemical sweeteners, Splenda, NutraSweet, Sweet & Low, etc. The human body was never supposed to metabolize artificial ingredients, go natural if you can. Stevia I have tried, it's natural, but it isn't really my thing.

For soda we buy La Croix, Perrier, or store brand flavored waters. They have key lime, lemon, strawberry, etc. and no sugar or artificial sweeteners. For a treat, every now and then we will get a case of the fruit juice flavored San Pellegrinos, which are sweetened but are sooo yummy for an occasional splurge.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 PM

52,284 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Chow - I used to be a two-heaping-teaspoons-per-cup sugar in my coffee drinker in my 20s. When I went on a diet, I had to swap it out for an artificial sweetener. It tasted so bad, I just skipped it altogether and after about a week, I didn't miss the sugar in the coffee. In fact, it's repulsive now, 20-odd years later. You can cut the bitterness with heavy cream. If you're doing a keto/Atkin's/paleo style diet, you need the fat.

For tea: get the flavored kind and you won't miss the sugar. Yogi teas come in delicious flavors, like spiced orange, Mayan chili chocolate, etc. Earl Grey is so tasty it needs nothing.

If you're trying for low(er) glycemic index sweetener, try agave syrup in place of honey. It has a much milder taste. Maple syrup is also good if the taste harmonizes. I avoid chemical sweeteners, Splenda, NutraSweet, Sweet & Low, etc. The human body was never supposed to metabolize artificial ingredients, go natural if you can. Stevia I have tried, it's natural, but it isn't really my thing.

For soda we buy La Croix, Perrier, or store brand flavored waters. They have key lime, lemon, strawberry, etc. and no sugar or artificial sweeteners. For a treat, every now and then we will get a case of the fruit juice flavored San Pellegrinos, which are sweetened but are sooo yummy for an occasional splurge.
Yeah, we've been drinking sparking waters for a while now. Even the generic Ralphs brand isn't bad. They've got some flavored ones like you mentioned with no added sugars, fake or otherwise. If stevia is truly natural I'll probably just use just enough of it to deal with the bitterness. I suppose I can see about getting off of it. I just keep hearing about how bad diet soda is and I've cut way back, but when I go out for lunch I'm kinda stuck with drinking it as a lot of places have teas but not always unsweetened tea and I don't wanna drink the sweetened teas because I hear that they aren't much better, at least in terms of sugar. Might be better because they might have less garbage in them that diet soda has overall.

I'm not really doing Atkins or low carb, I'm just trying to get rid of the obvious sugars and work on reducing bread, pasta, potatoes, and all of that type of stuff, I'll eat it but I'm trying not to center meals around those things. Aiming to just go with leaner proteins and veg and the natural fats like avocado and olive oils etc etc. Not really hardcore about it but just sorta pointing the ship in that direction.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, we've been drinking sparking waters for a while now. Even the generic Ralphs brand isn't bad. They've got some flavored ones like you mentioned with no added sugars, fake or otherwise. If stevia is truly natural I'll probably just use just enough of it to deal with the bitterness. I suppose I can see about getting off of it. I just keep hearing about how bad diet soda is and I've cut way back, but when I go out for lunch I'm kinda stuck with drinking it as a lot of places have teas but not always unsweetened tea and I don't wanna drink the sweetened teas because I hear that they aren't much better, at least in terms of sugar. Might be better because they might have less garbage in them that diet soda has overall.

I'm not really doing Atkins or low carb, I'm just trying to get rid of the obvious sugars and work on reducing bread, pasta, potatoes, and all of that type of stuff, I'll eat it but I'm trying not to center meals around those things. Aiming to just go with leaner proteins and veg and the natural fats like avocado and olive oils etc etc. Not really hardcore about it but just sorta pointing the ship in that direction.
Then try some cream in your coffee to cut the bitterness - a little goes a long way.

My doctor said that even the no-sugar sodas should be consumed in moderation due to the acidity. I will only drink one or two a day. If you have iced tea in place of diet soda, when you go out, at least you're not getting the acid. I usually just get iced water, it keeps my eating out budget in check too. If I'm feeling indulgent, I'll get a strawberry lemonade.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:13 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Today, I'm going to buck the no-bake rule when the house goes over 80 degrees, because I have been craving slutty brownies. They are better than the better than sex cake which I find pretty gross, actually.
Ugh, I haven't had that in a long time, but I just remember it being sickeningly sweet with a bunch of crushed candy all over the top.

I just looked up those brownies. Sound good! Found this: "Reviving a dwindling sex life with a three-way isn't for everyone, but these slutty brownies definitely are."

Quote:
Making piña coladas tonight, served as lava flows (trickle strawberry syrup down the sides of the glass for the 'lava'). My son's request - first had them at Glen Ivy hot springs spa, feeling nostalgic. ����

I tried a new drink recently that had grapefruit juice, coconut cream, and honey/agave. I added some vodka to it. Not too bad. Refreshing. Rum probably would have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
That sounds amazing! and because I'm a dirty old lady, whenever anybody says they've made Better Than Sex cake I always have to say "Ha! apparently you've never had sex, have you?" Slutty Brownies sound much better, especially when you are in intense heat, as well.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:17 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
^Ahhh caught that, did ya? Hee.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:00 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
I like blue agave. 60 calories per tablespoon. Low glycemic. A tablespoon should satisfy any sweet tooth in a large drink. I too learned to drink tea and coffee without sweetners, and now prefer them that way. En Ito makes a tasty iced tea - Matcha with ginger unsweetened.

I guess flavored seltzer/sparkling water is okay if dealing with a vending machine, but Im not into artificial flavors, so just get them plain and add my own fruits/juices.

Exercise is important. Cutting out wheat and dairy is good for weight loss, as well as inflammation and pain management. Cutting out meat Is good too. I personally eat some meat however. I just don't feel that the vegetable based protein I get from veggies is enough. I have started supplementing with Vital Proteins - bone broth protein powder (vanilla), collagen peptides, etc to see if I cant eventually go meat free too.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 08-11-2018 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Is that Havana Mania? They are way better than Versailles. If you have a work buddy then order the paella for two - it is so good. Their lechón is so good too - if you are into mojitos then try the mango, it is really delicious. Everything on the menu is prepared well, but I would skip dessert. The flan is just so-so.

Speaking of restaurants, I just ate at Luna Grill first time yesterday. It blows Daphne's way out of the water. The protein portions are tastier, more generous, and the prices were more reasonable. The last time we went to Daphne's, about three-four years ago, we added up what we wanted to order and it was almost $60. For that money I'm not ordering fast food, we ended up going to - you guessed it - Havana Mania.

The fufu de yuca is one of my favorite apps there, so tasty and that garlicky sauce they serve it with is outta this world.
Well, we made it to Havana Mania today. And we fufu-ed the yuca! You weren't kidding. That sauce. We actually didn't finish it all, so I asked the waiter for some more sauce to take home. He asked me if I wanted a bigger container. Yes, PLEASE!

I forgot to check your suggestions before we left, but Chow did say I should try the lechon just because it's a signature dish of theirs. Oh, man, was it good. He had the pollo al Caribe.

The other Cuban place we had gone to, he had said I should try the roasted garlic chicken. Again, a signature dish that a lot of people go there for. I couldn't believe how good it was. That restaurant is called Bella Cuba. It's near South Coast Plaza.

I wanted to try the tres leches cake today, but I had already spent so much on drinks. I thought I would go all out, get into the Havana mood, so I had the El Coco Loco, coconut water and rum served in a hollowed-out coconut. Umbrella and everything. Then I had a Lime in the Coconut, and that was really good. I'm usually not into those kinds of drinks, but I could have a few of those. Not too sweet at all. Chow's beer was good, too.

I can't wait to go back. I'm already perusing their menu, plotting my next meal, mouth watering.

(It was an odd hour, is why it was so empty. People were already starting to fill up the place by the time we left.)
Attached Thumbnails
CDR Chat Thread #31-20180811_154220-1-.jpg   CDR Chat Thread #31-20180811_154624-1-.jpg   CDR Chat Thread #31-20180811_154618-1-.jpg  

Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 AM

^^^those drinks look yummy! I'm so glad you got to taste some delicious Cuban treats at HM. I'm totally stealing fufu-ing the yuca! We like to go between lunch and dinner too, it gets packed at night. Last time we went, they were still doing live music too. If you want to save on drinks, I think they have an extended happy hour on Mondays or Tuesdays for 1/2 price mojitos from 5:00-10:00 pm.

Forgot to mention - if you like heat, they will bring you a side of salsa verde with your meal, no charge.

The slutty brownies turned out great - I replaced the layer of Oreos with walnuts. Think I'll make some more blueberry pies tomorrow, got pounds of 'em in the fridge.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
^^^those drinks look yummy! I'm so glad you got to taste some delicious Cuban treats at HM. I'm totally stealing fufu-ing the yuca! We like to go between lunch and dinner too, it gets packed at night. Last time we went, they were still doing live music too. If you want to save on drinks, I think they have an extended happy hour on Mondays or Tuesdays for 1/2 price mojitos from 5:00-10:00 pm.

Forgot to mention - if you like heat, they will bring you a side of salsa verde with your meal, no charge.

The slutty brownies turned out great - I replaced the layer of Oreos with walnuts. Think I'll make some more blueberry pies tomorrow, got pounds of 'em in the fridge.
I meant to mention that, too; I would love to be there for the live music.

And how could I forget to mention the crispy, buttery garlic bread?? Major omission! The best I've ever tasted. I could just sit there and eat that alone with drinks and be happy.

Now I'm just going to sound kiss-***-y, but the Oreos are the one thing I wouldn't miss from that recipe. And walnuts instead? Sounds incredible.

Okay, I have to stop talking about food now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships