Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 02:55 AM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Times change so fast it's hard to keep up though! My first printer was a dot matrix, know what that is? With the perforated paper all connected, that had holes on the sides to run through the tracks? I referred to my first 'personal computer' as a robot. "I'm going to go see if I can connect with anybody on my robot now, the internet's are open all night!"

Yes, I've always bn crazy, it isn't a recent event.
Of course! We used it in my night class to learn "word processing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:15 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Back in 1983, when I was a wee girl, my friend Shannon and I would regularly walk to our local library where one could sign up for 30 minute blocks of time on the nifty computer, and each person was allowed to print up to ten sheets on the dot matrix printer. We would sign up back to back so we had a whole hour to ourselves, designing and printing out single sheet posters. The program we used also created banners (can't do that now, without the endless 'ribbon' of paper associated with dot matrix printing) but we had to ask beforehand because the banners printed 15 sheets long and the librarian in charge alternated. Some were ok with us sharing our ten pages each, others were anal retentive.

Then in HS, the mandatory Computer Studies class had us working on TRS-80s. The teacher was a tiny middle aged woman with curly blonde hair and an apeish face, and we spent weeks learning about DSDD, SSSD, GIGO, etc. My French teacher told me that if I was interested in a career with computers, none of the stuff we were learning would help because it was so outdated. TRW is a major employer in my area and she told me that I'd have to 'unlearn' the crap that class was teaching us if I wanted to seek a job there. Many of my classmates headed to TRW, I decided to head to Europe.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
In a way it sounds similar to my art teacher arranging for a scholarship to get me out of that small town with no opportunities. I majored in Communications involving Computer Graphics and Commercial Art. Programs used for this became obsolete probably within a year or two of the time I graduated.
It doesn't matter --what I really am is an artist, which has nothing to do with computers. I moved to Las Vegas after that, and those 2 years are a blurr anyway!!

Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 PM

52,303 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Back in 1983, when I was a wee girl, my friend Shannon and I would regularly walk to our local library where one could sign up for 30 minute blocks of time on the nifty computer, and each person was allowed to print up to ten sheets on the dot matrix printer. We would sign up back to back so we had a whole hour to ourselves, designing and printing out single sheet posters. The program we used also created banners (can't do that now, without the endless 'ribbon' of paper associated with dot matrix printing) but we had to ask beforehand because the banners printed 15 sheets long and the librarian in charge alternated. Some were ok with us sharing our ten pages each, others were anal retentive.

Then in HS, the mandatory Computer Studies class had us working on TRS-80s. The teacher was a tiny middle aged woman with curly blonde hair and an apeish face, and we spent weeks learning about DSDD, SSSD, GIGO, etc. My French teacher told me that if I was interested in a career with computers, none of the stuff we were learning would help because it was so outdated. TRW is a major employer in my area and she told me that I'd have to 'unlearn' the crap that class was teaching us if I wanted to seek a job there. Many of my classmates headed to TRW, I decided to head to Europe.
TRW, what a blast from the past. My last company had done extensive work out at that site, now the name has changed as you well know. Small world at times. The same location is where that Sean Penn movie from back in the day was all about. The falcon and the snowman. LOL.

Quote:
In a way it sounds similar to my art teacher arranging for a scholarship to get me out of that small town with no opportunities. I majored in Communications involving Computer Graphics and Commercial Art. Programs used for this became obsolete probably within a year or two of the time I graduated.
It doesn't matter --what I really am is an artist, which has nothing to do with computers. I moved to Las Vegas after that, and those 2 years are a blurr anyway!!
I was a STEM snob my whole career/education growing up. Now I have a much finer appreciation for all of the arts. I've always loved music though.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
TRW, what a blast from the past. My last company had done extensive work out at that site, now the name has changed as you well know. Small world at times. The same location is where that Sean Penn movie from back in the day was all about. The falcon and the snowman. LOL.

I was a STEM snob my whole career/education growing up. Now I have a much finer appreciation for all of the arts. I've always loved music though.
It's good that happened after you already had a career. Way too challenging to support yourself as an artist, anyone I know who considers themselves one, whether writer, musician, painter/artist is also something else that pays the bills. I do know a sculptor who supports himself on his commissioned works alone, but he inherited a lake home, so maybe his COL is lower.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
It's good that happened after you already had a career. Way too challenging to support yourself as an artist, anyone I know who considers themselves one, whether writer, musician, painter/artist is also something else that pays the bills. I do know a sculptor who supports himself on his commissioned works alone, but he inherited a lake home, so maybe his COL is lower.
Was jabbering tech type talk a little up thread and I just can't get as excited by tech and gadgets like I used to when I was younger. I like it/them at times, but I'm not on the cutting edge like I used to be.

Finding that the arts are moving me more as I get older. LOL My personality type is INTJ which is logical and scientific in nature, but IDK, I'm probably one of the few INTJ types that have a sense of humor, at least from what I've experienced, a lot of techie /scientist types tend to be a bit more, IDK, dull, for a lack of another term.

Of course I'm widely generalizing here but just sorta sayin.

The STEM careers will always be more in demand than the arts and will pay more and as long as people are keenly aware of this then have at whatever floats your boat. It's also nice to have inherited a house like the guy you're talking about. That can definitely lower you monthly nut requirement.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 PM

Dear friend-requester:
You can't receive private messages, so tell us, what is your story?

Old 07-28-2017, 02:53 PM

I've taken to frying eggs instead of having them scrambled. I can't seem to get them to flip over without completely getting destroyed. I think I need to let them cook longer to set, I'm guessing. I'm one of those weirdo's that don't like runny yolks. Not a fan of the sunny side up.

It seems like most people just love those runny yolks... get a little queasy thinking about it.

According to this link I like mine "over hard"

“How Do You Want Your Eggs?” Eleven Ways To Cook An Egg

Old 07-28-2017, 02:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
I like poaching eggs. Hard boiled, deviled eggs. On and on like bubba gump.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:00 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
When I'm doing eggs at home I usually scramble, because it's easier. When eating out I like a poached or over medium egg, but even the pros don't always get it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships