Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:17 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times

Advertisements

It's merely a coincidence which you're misconstruing as a correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Please elaborate how I'm stereotyping? I asked a question and followed it by the fact that I could be misinformed.
It wasn't a comment directly at you.

I was thinking more of the "good rule of thumb" posting and the comments that followed.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
It's merely a coincidence which you're misconstruing as a correlation.
Okay. I understand where you're coming from. It's the person, not the ownership.

I've obviously been trying to figure out some things in my own personal life over the last few months and this was an instance where the person did scheduling of when we could hang out and then they back out of the deal. She knows that she's a flake. I just attempted to draw some correlation, since I've had this happen before with other childless pet owners. Where most people felt single parents were flakes, I found them to be the more reliable bunch of the two comparisons.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:39 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Pets are comfy. I would bring the side of everyone knows how hard and stressfull relationships can be. Also as sex is not too important to some women they get the warmth and closeness from animal. Some guys are violent, animals are not, some guys are controlling, animals are not, some guys would judge her outlooks, animals are not. Relationship with animal is in total different perspective, they also never leave you till they die. They are faithfull, always welcome home, always accepting as you are. No need to fake or act near them. They always love you no matter what.

Why ever anyone would want a guy instead?

Okay I wanted but with, not instead and only the type who is animal lover too

There is something sacret in relationships with animals what 2 people never can experience. It is a bond between different specie. It is always somehow mystical and happends in the non-human speaking-level.

I choosed my pets over a guy few times, it was about he would not be as good as my pets, lol No need to change companion worse than you already have.

You just need to be as comfy as pet

Old 06-23-2016, 04:08 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I was 42 with two cats when I started OLD. Even at the time I was like "I'm a stereotype!!!!"

I didn't flake though, but would chat with them for a while before going out with them and that weeded out a lot.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2016, 04:13 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
I've been off and on my online dating profile over the years and I'm starting to see a bit of a trend with some of the women I've messaged. Women who have dated men can chime in about the men as well. In my experience, and my humble opinion, childless women who are pet owners are some of the most flakiest people I've ever been around. I say this only because they're the ones that are gungho about us hanging out and then the closer the date comes to us hanging out, they start to flake.

I can count on 4 different instances where this has happened to me over the last 2 years. They weren't just cat owners, because one of them was a dog owner. I can say that a lot of their social media activity was always about what ever cat or breed of dog they had.

Don't get me wrong, I love family pets, but keyword to me is they're more of a family animal. I like to be on the move too much to truly own and care for a pet by myself. By having a pet, it would cut too much into my mountain biking or being able to schedule things on a whim.

Women, can you elaborate if this is true with men you dated or attempted to date in the past? I'm not trying to encompass that all single people with pets are flaky, but this has become something that's rather frustrating. To boot, all the women I've encountered above all had, to me, super unhealthy relationships to their pets. Almost like you were competing with a pet to spend time with them. Kind of like a perfect weekend was laying on the couch all weekend with their cat(s) and/or dog(s).

I'm just curious if there's something I'm doing terribly wrong or has someone else experienced this as well.
I don't flake on dates to hang out with my cat, but I do have much more fun hanging out with her than I do when I go on dates. I did choose to stop seeing someone after several dates partly because he was allergic to my cat but that wasn't the main reason. Does my cat come first? Absolutely.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:24 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
You nailed it. They were independent as well, but still wanted to pursue a relationship. Even though they had been there done that, they still wanted to fall in love again, and they knew the only way they could achieve that was by actively dating. Some of the women I've encountered that are big into their pets just seem to be a bit unavailable emotionally and for love. I love pets, but a pet just can't give me what another human being can. This is likely because I just don't understand the dynamic of pet love to their owners too. It just seems like in some instances maybe pets have replaced love interest? That's something I'll never understand and it could be because I never got a pet alone for that reason. I wanted to keep my schedule open enough to date, and since I didn't have children, the want to have a full-time pet was never there. As humans, we tend to do more for our children than for ourselves.
A pet isn't going to replace a person who you're really interested in. Someone who you're lukewarm about, sure. If these women are flaking, they just aren't interested enough and it's not because they have pets.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Having a pet or pets and dating means that spur of the moment day trips and overnights are a no-go, you have to be able to plan for their care in your absence or be able to bring them with.

That's not a weird dynamic, it's just seeing to your basic responsibilities as a pet owner.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Having a pet or pets and dating means that spur of the moment day trips and overnights are a no-go, you have to be able to plan for their care in your absence or be able to bring them with.

That's not a weird dynamic, it's just seeing to your basic responsibilities as a pet owner.
To be truthful, my wife and I won't be stricken when our ancient cat goes to the Great Litterbox In The Sky. Of late, all she does is pee in isolated corners of the house. After that, no pets for us.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 PM

302 posts, read 230,662 times
4 instances over 4 years? I think it's just a coincidence to be honest. Having a pet isn't going to make someone a flake, if anything, to me it would mean they are nurturing and responsible. But then I am not someone who really needs or enjoys having a pet. I like animals, just not as a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships