Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 05:00 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Good rule of thumb:

The "Pets? No Problem!" Zone.

1 Pet. No sweat. In fact, great. I love animals, too.

2 Pets. Sure. Because one keeps the other company, right?

Yellow Flag. Proceed With Caution.

3 Pets, any combination. Um. Okay. Pets are a lot of work. Out in the yard, okay. And if they're constantly underfoot, they're gunning for you, especially at the top of a staircase.

Pets that constantly growl, bite, and generally hate you. If she isn't correcting Fido when he growls at you, imagine what would happen if you have kids together.

3 Pets, any combination and constantly patters about them as if they were toddlers. Hmmmm. Substitute child syndrome at work.

Constant baby talk to pets as if they understand her. All they really understand is 'food,' 'treat,' 'outside,' 'lay down in your bed,' and 'ride.' The rest of the time, she's really talking to herself as if she's a doddering old man feeding squirrels in the public park.

Multiple pets, all of whose names end with a 'Y' sound. Quite possibly an eight-year-old in a woman's body.

Don't Even Think About It.

4 Pets +. Unless she's living on a farm, now she is constantly refereeing the pets from killing one another. Running the pets to the vet. Taking them out on walks. Feeding them. Pet dander is everywhere, the cat is peeing in out-of-the-way places, and her place always has this weird funk about it. You will never watch a movie at her place without umpteen interruptions. Even if you manage to spend the night, you'll be sharing the bed with her AND the labrador retriever. You know, the one with flatulence issues.

Multiple pets with portraits of her pets on her walls. One is cool. Fifteen? No, seriously? On the refrigerator? Excellent. Over the fireplace? Hmmmm.

Multiple pets with articles of clothing such as sweaters. You know they have fur, right? Not tethered to reality.

Cross-stitched samplers or bumper stickers with sayings such as "The More People I Meet The More I Like My Dog." Okay, this translates to "I have the people skills of a turnip and am a terrible judge of character." After all, get dogs in a pack and let them roam the neighborhood, and they're going to kill something. They think that's fun. Avoid.

Urn with Fido's ashes on the mantel. Turn around and get back into the car. It's your only hope.
Haha that's funny. I must have problems. We added a third small dog to our "family" last week. We also have a cat who pees outside.

Yes, I talk to them and about them like they're toddlers. Their names have all devolved into one syllable words. Occasionally I tack a "y" on the end. They wear sweaters in the winter.

They're all piled up on the sofa with me right now. They eat on the back porch and sleep in crates. They're even on a schedule so they all know what to do when. We do the same things every day. We don't allow excessive barking. They're housebroken. They come when they're called and sit for treats -- except for the new guy, who's gonna require more training.

Are they substitute children? Not really. They're funny little dogs. [edit] I just asked my husband if they're surrogate kids. He said, "no, much worse." Then he invited me out for ice cream.

Am I a flake? Nope, I'm a happily married, gainfully employed, punctuality nut with a couple of advanced degrees. We do have a small farm, sort of.

So the OP missed out on a childless woman who isn't a flake. Has he stopped to think that he might be the one who has a problem? Maybe the women all decide they don't want to date him for a reason. Ever consider that?

Last edited by ellie; 06-23-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Does my cat come first? Absolutely.
See ya later, Alligator

Old 06-23-2016, 05:27 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
That's why I asked. I am just not cool enough yet.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
See ya later, Alligator
Ok, bye! My cat has been a loyal companion to me for close to 10 years. I can barely remember the names of the guys I've had dates with this year.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:45 PM

I think "flakyness" is what you're trying to gauge. and Online Dating is overcome by legions of people who are flaky, have no loyalty or duty to meet you in real life. I think they get 80% of what they want by chatting randomly/trading pics/Instagram with strangers. Actually meeting me for Froyo or sangria - oh noes. I couldn't...

I had my own episode 12 days ago, where I thought I had a "big fish" on the line, we did all the msgs back and forth... I sent her my phone number and asked her for hers, so I could initiate the call. And she never replied. She's still "on the site" browsing profiles, but just forgot about me? RAGE! Gimmie my phone number back!!!

I don't think flakyness is DETERMINED by pet ownership, but it's true somebody with 3+ cats or 3+ dogs (or llamas) (or hampsters) (or lorikeets) is CORRELATED with being a homebody who likes to stay home and care for their pets. They have an insular little emotional world that reduces their needs for outsiders - if only for other living beings depend on you for food everyday, and give companionship, laughs, warmth and compassion along the way.

In my online personal ad, I try to communicate my desire to get some stamps in my passport and see some exotic lands. I meet a girl, get something started, then say "scrape up $1,499 and let's go for 14 days to Machu Picchu. Or Brazil. Or Punta Cana."

A chick with too many pets [or kids...] this isn't even in the realm of possibility. It is rare to find the woman who would leave their pets in a boarding kennel for 16 days. Double-rare - if not stymied by accusations of child-neglect - to dump the kids on grandma/grandpa/uncle buck in the same way.

So I'm left doubting myself. Am I just not compelling enough to want to get to know? Or am I looking for a diamond in field of broken beer bottles and styrofoam cups and skittering rats?

Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
I don't think flakyness is DETERMINED by pet ownership, but it's true somebody with 3+ cats or 3+ dogs (or llamas) (or hampsters) (or lorikeets) is CORRELATED with being a homebody who likes to stay home and care for their pets. They have an insular little emotional world that reduces their needs for outsiders - if only for other living beings depend on you for food everyday, and give companionship, laughs, warmth and compassion along the way.
Yeah, perhaps the "homebody" moniker is true for some people.

But, "insular emotional world"? Not much of a generalization there at all..

Quote:
A chick with too many pets [or kids...] this isn't even in the realm of possibility. It is rare to find the woman who would leave their pets in a boarding kennel for 16 days. Double-rare - if not stymied by accusations of child-neglect - to dump the kids on grandma/grandpa/uncle buck in the same way.
Or, you know, a "chick with a job".

Old 06-23-2016, 06:00 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
For guys who are threatened by, allergic to, or simply just dislike pets- I could never really trust them around my cat. I'd always think that they were just waiting for the right opportunity to let her "accidentally" escape from the house or poison her food or something, just so they'd no longer have to be inconvenienced by her presence. Forget that!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
For guys who are threatened by, allergic to, or simply just dislike pets- I could never really trust them around my cat. I'd always think that they were just waiting for the right opportunity to let her "accidentally" escape from the house or poison her food or something, just so they'd no longer have to be inconvenienced by her presence. Forget that!
That's a good point.

When I was dating, one of the first things I brought up were my animals because I wanted to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time with someone who "didn't like them". That is definitely not the type of person I would be compatible with.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Default My dog is more important than you....

Simple.. My dog is not an a-hole. He doesn't go out of his way to think of things to put me down, doesn't expect me to live up to his expectations of how I should act, dress, wear my clothing, make up , hair, who I can be friends with, who I talk to, or where I go.
He's loyal, trustworthy, and he loves me unconditionally. Plus he's a manly dog! He'll protect me .. Feminazi views on equality and all.
Got to hand it to the OP though.... This has to be a first in the women bashing thread category! Kudos Weez! I'd toss you a bone, but I only have one and it's for ( wait for it) ... My dog.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Or, you know, a "chick with a job".
Absolutely agreed. if you're a person who maybe retired early/part time/flexible career/landlord/investor/author/dotcom millionaire, you might find success with dating:

- college students
- part time Starbucks Barista
- unemployed/trust fund baby
- independantly wealthy
- performing arts/actress
- schoolteachers with summers free

If you only get 8 days off out of 30 to call your own, how are you not a SLAVE?
Working days - Calendar-12.com

Slave to your pets, slave to your job. Especially for the things we chose for ourselves.
'Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains.' - Rousseau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships