Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:28 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

Well, to be fair I take a solo trip in Europe almost every year because every year we go to Ireland to visit his family. I take the opportunity of being over there to spend a few more days on my own somewhere else after we're done the family visits (and he has to go back to work--it's much easier for me to get time off than him). If this was our only trip of the year and I (or he) took it separately, I wouldn't like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
I want to add to my answer...

If I'm going I need nothing. I won't be calling home cause I got a flat tire or my debit card was decline for some reason. With that being said I wouldn't expect any less of the other leaving solo.

I also don't want to hear you can't sleep cause I haven't called or that you're worried I broke down or am dead at the bottom of a cliff. No I won't text every hour on the hour. Maybe just when I'm turning in for the night.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM

888 posts, read 555,767 times
I would be curious why someone would have a problem with this. Either you trust someone or you don't. My husband is going to travel through Asia on his own this summer, for 1 month. I have zero desire to go there, and honestly wouldn't be able to find someone to watch my child for that long. I fully support him going. Just the way he supported me going to Arizona a few weeks ago. I wasn't alone, I was with friends, but if I had gone alone he wouldn't try to stop me or give me a hard time. The word " tolerate" is interesting, I mean what is there to tolerate if you have a good relationship to begin with.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
It's not about trust. It's about shared experiences.

Maybe I'm a little off, this way, but find that traveling together ends up enhancing our travel experience. We're bringing home pictures and memories that will remind us of something we shared and will, hopefully, never forget. Both of us feel stronger, as a couple, doing things together and I know we both want that to continue.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
I wouldn't have a relationship with a woman that didn't allow it. As such, I am also ok with it.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
It's not about trust. It's about shared experiences.

Maybe I'm a little off, this way, but find that traveling together ends up enhancing our travel experience. We're bringing home pictures and memories that will remind us of something we shared and will, hopefully, never forget. Both of us feel stronger, as a couple, doing things together and I know we both want that to continue.
That's great you both feel that way but a lot of couples need breaks.

I heard a lot of divorces happen after a long vacation together. No i can't link an article.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
I like taking trips alone. I would be fine with a partner coming along if they were able to, but if not, I still want to take my trip.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That's great you both feel that way but a lot of couples need breaks.

I heard a lot of divorces happen after a long vacation together. No i can't link an article.
That may be. To each his own!

So the true answer is, there is no answer. Whatever works for the BOTH of you.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I like taking trips alone. I would be fine with a partner coming along if they were able to, but if not, I still want to take my trip.
Until you hear;

We stopping again?
It's cold can you roll up the windows?
It's hot I need the air on.
I have to pee..... Yes again.
Do you know where you're going?
I'm hungry.
*snore*
I have to pee.
Can we do something else?
The map says to turn here...why didn't you turn?

I love solo trips.

"Should take me 10 hours solo...12 if I have somebody with me."

Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
That may be. To each his own!

So the true answer is, there is no answer. Whatever works for the BOTH of you.
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships