Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times

Advertisements

Okay CD Relationships, let's have it.

I met a woman last year in my favorite habitat, a major music festival. We met and talked super briefly and we became friends on FB. She lives three states North of me. She has picked my brain on a few matters since she knows I used to work in finance. She makes a lot of Snapchat videos which I find hilarious. She is also college-educated and very intelligent and we have the same taste in music. Also she physically is very attractive. Tall, plus-sized woman. She has a lot of what I want in a woman right?

The cause to pause? She has a child. Now anyone who knows me here knows this is a major deal breaker for me typically. But the reason I have not retired this possibility is because of the circumstances. The child is a little older and the father in this situation is actively involved, so she is probably not looking for someone to play daddy and her child seems well adjusted and behaved.

It could be very possible that one thing that attracts me to this women shockingly enough is that she is very independent and raising her son as a single parent very well. She reminds me of how my mother raised me absent the involved father. While me and my own mother don't have the greatest relationship, I respect her highly for what she had to do to raise me. I think that is my attraction to this woman, she handles business and is strong.

So CD, know I'm a little crazy, but would it be crazy for me to drop one major dealbreaker and pursue someone historically I would not have pursued because I really like her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,369,796 times
Love is blind.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:36 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,972,535 times
If that's a deal breaker for you then end it.

Seriously, there is no reason to go against what you said you wouldn't do.

Trust me, you will regret this if you don't end it right now.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:27 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,484,729 times
Just go with how you feel on this. I would have thought one of my deal breakers was an older man. I kind of had this idea in my head that I wouldn't go any more than five years older. And distance too, he had to be close. I'm dating a man nine years older and a good hour and a half drive away and I wouldn't trade him for the world. When I met him those deal breakers just seemed to go out the door because he as a person was more than the deal breakers.

So my thought is go with your gut. If you feel it's right despite deal breakers you previously thought you had, just go for it and see where it goes. If it's a good match those deal breakers won't bother you a bit. But it they may at you and overshadow the relationship, then maybe you gut is telling you something there as well and funny man is right. Trust your instructs on this one.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
No, it's not crazy.
Very often one makes a lot of assumptions about how things would (like with a deal breaker)be when in reality, it's not the way you thought it would be and/or other things more than compensate for that one thing.
There is seldom.....never... perfection.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,742,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay CD Relationships, let's have it.

I met a woman last year in my favorite habitat, a major music festival. We met and talked super briefly and we became friends on FB. She lives three states North of me. She has picked my brain on a few matters since she knows I used to work in finance. She makes a lot of Snapchat videos which I find hilarious. She is also college-educated and very intelligent and we have the same taste in music. Also she physically is very attractive. Tall, plus-sized woman. She has a lot of what I want in a woman right?

The cause to pause? She has a child. Now anyone who knows me here knows this is a major deal breaker for me typically. But the reason I have not retired this possibility is because of the circumstances. The child is a little older and the father in this situation is actively involved, so she is probably not looking for someone to play daddy and her child seems well adjusted and behaved.

It could be very possible that one thing that attracts me to this women shockingly enough is that she is very independent and raising her son as a single parent very well. She reminds me of how my mother raised me absent the involved father. While me and my own mother don't have the greatest relationship, I respect her highly for what she had to do to raise me. I think that is my attraction to this woman, she handles business and is strong.

So CD, know I'm a little crazy, but would it be crazy for me to drop one major dealbreaker and pursue someone historically I would not have pursued because I really like her?
I don't see a problem if you don't have to play the father figure. I was roughly in your place about 20 years ago. She told me that she and the boy's father were all the parents her teenager needed; my role was to become a friend. It has turned out that way. What i did do, i think, was to see how bright he was and stimulate his curiosity. Several years ago, my friend received his Ph.D in hydrology.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,057,518 times
Some questions to consider:

Is she attracted to you?

Do you want to be in a long distance relationship with someone who lives three states away and won't be relocating to where you are?

Why are you willing to reconsider the dealbreaker of no kids?

Old 06-22-2016, 07:04 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times
Is this woman asking to start a relationship with you?

I think I would make sure of her level of interest before making any existential decisions.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Is this woman asking to start a relationship with you?

I think I would make sure of her level of interest before making any existential decisions.
That makes too much sense.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:18 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,724,849 times
If you have to ask strangers on a forum about relationship doubts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships