Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 10:43 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melflower View Post
Not yet but I'm going to after I get some space. He's trying to belittle the problem IMO because he's also ignoring me as if I did something wrong which I really don't understand. I think he thinks I'm overreacting
Simple solution here:

Find someone who treats you like you want to be treated. Obviously this guy isn't it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:46 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
I'm really not. I have a very passive, non-confrontational personality. I HATE being scolded or yelled at and virtually never do it to other people, especially not to my boyfriend. This may sound weird but when he gets snappy with me I feel embarrassed. It's like an instant reaction of embarrassment. I feel like a little kid or something. Idk it's just not ok
I'm the actually the very same

But does he have any stress outside of your relationship? I ask because hopefully it's just a blip ( as you've said he's never be rude before ).

Old 07-11-2016, 10:47 AM

914 posts, read 766,030 times
I made the mistake of being impatient with my wife, then gf, when we were younger in our relationship. We were both in our early 20's and there were times when I was impatient with her, especially when I thought she was being "indecisive" about certain things. I'm lucky, DAMN lucky, that she told me straight out that I was pissing her the F$&@ off, AND that she gave me a chance to mature and correct this problem. There were times where she got testy with me as well. The fact is that couples are going have disagreements and spats from time to time. It's pretty hard to have a relationship where no one EVER says anything that they have to apologize for later. But, the most important thing is at the end of the day you MUST respect each other. He MUST respect you in this relationship for it to be a healthy one.

You may have been dating for 10 months, but imagine 10 years of being treated like crap if he doesn't repect you as his gf and potential wife/SO! Put your foot down, if you feel disrespected! Let him know what he said and how he said it when you felt he talked down to you. Give him, if you see potential in him, a chance to mature and correct his errors after you have made him aware of them. And, if he doesn't change, drop him like a hot plate! You must communicate your dissatisfactions for them to be understood and corrected.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
In the OP's previous thread, multiple people advised her to work on her self esteem type issues.

I wonder if she ever took that to heart, because it seems as if this latest thread is an extension of that.

Instead of confronting her boyfriend (and I don't mean arguing, but raising the issue), she would rather take the verbal abuse and be silent about it. Very common I think among women with self esteem issues in abusive/potentially abusive relationships.

That is why the OP seems more comfortable venting out her anxieties and fears on this forum, than actually discussing with him.

I know the OP will ignore what I state, but that's not my concern. I'm putting it out there for others that this is no way a normal 'relationship' at all. These things start 'small' and eventually escalate.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...busive-partner

Quote:
But the victim so badly wants to make sense of the behavior that he or she doesn’t put an end to it, instead continuing to search for explanations of what could have caused the abuser to treat him or her that way. The victim thinks that perhaps something about his or her behavior made it the case that they deserved to be treated badly.

Because the victim does not yet fully grasp the idea of verbal abuse—abuse at a purely verbal or mental level—he or she thinks that the abuser’s maltreatment must have a rational explanation.

So, the victim confronts the behavior, not the way he or she ought to confront this behavior, but the way he or she ought to confront rational behavior. The victim asks for an explanation, asks for examples of the generalizations made by the abuser, and asks the abuser to make sense of the abuse.

But the victim is losing. Abusers—verbal, and emotional abusers included—do not act rationally. Asking them for a reason or trying to reason with them is pointless. They have no good reasons for behaving the way they do. They will respond with more abuse.

You cannot reason with an abuser.
15 Signs You're in an Emotionally Abusive Relationship | The Stir

30 Signs Of Emotional Abuse In A Relationship

Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Of course I agree completely and everyone else would as well but what he's saying is are you in some way provoking him to react this way?.

As per my first post it's still not an excuse and he shouldn't do it but unfortunately not all men are alike on this
This^^^

AND I don't believe anybody should be verbally abused either.

However, I know many people who just don't know when to quit.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,269 times
Quote:
Not yet but I'm going to after I get some space. He's trying to belittle the problem IMO because he's also ignoring me as if I did something wrong which I really don't understand. I think he thinks I'm overreacting

You teach a person how to treat you....If you are silent when he is rude expect more of the same.
Its not your fault, he is in control of his mouth, but don't allow this sort of thing or it will get even worse with time

Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 AM

53 posts, read 77,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In the OP's previous thread, multiple people advised her to work on her self esteem type issues.

I wonder if she ever took that to heart, because it seems as if this latest thread is an extension of that.

Instead of confronting her boyfriend (and I don't mean arguing, but raising the issue), she would rather take the verbal abuse and be silent about it. Very common I think among women with self esteem issues in abusive/potentially abusive relationships.

That is why the OP seems more comfortable venting out her anxieties and fears on this forum, than actually discussing with him.

I know the OP will ignore what I state, but that's not my concern. I'm putting it out there for others that this is no way a normal 'relationship' at all. These things start 'small' and eventually escalate.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...busive-partner

15 Signs You're in an Emotionally Abusive Relationship | The Stir

30 Signs Of Emotional Abuse In A Relationship
I know it's easy to make broad assumptions because you don't know me personally or my relationship to it's full extent, but trust me when I say that I have absolutely no issue confronting my boyfriend. Every issue I've ever had we've been able to communicate it and work on it together, including the ones from my past posts.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I know it's easy to make broad assumptions because you don't know me personally or my relationship to it's full extent, but trust me when I say that I have absolutely no issue confronting my boyfriend. Every issue I've ever had we've been able to communicate it and work on it together, including the ones from my past posts.
Then talk to him about this issue. One would think that would be the first step. Always.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Quote:
For example, last night we were trying to figure out which weekend we should see each other (we're doing LD right now) and I was being indecisive so he got really curt with me and was like "Ugh just a pick a day it's not that hard" in a really rude, snappy voice.
Not to justify his testy attitude, but indecisiveness is a huge turnoff. He does sound like he's tiring of you and it's causing his moodiness. Long distance relationships are tricky to begin with and he may be looking for a way out.

Last edited by 1986pacecar; 07-11-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Not to justify his testy attitude, but indecisiveness is a huge turnoff. He does sound like he's tiring of you and it's causing his moodiness. Long distance relationships are tricky to begin with and he way be looking for a way out.
This.

OP, in your ideal world, how would you have liked him to respond to your indecisiveness on this issue? Would you have been ok with him making the decision for the two of you?

It sounds to me like he may not know how to best deal with you- and he's frustrated by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships