Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 05:13 PM

212 posts, read 195,995 times

Advertisements

I use public transportation and I rarely date anymore, but when I first moved to my current city, I dated someone for a couple of years who had a truck. He never once asked me to travel to see him. He went out of his way each time to see me and even chauffeured me around for errands I had to run. (This was, of course, later in the relationship. I would never presume upon someone I did not know well.) Once or twice, I took the trolley to go and visit his place, but not because he asked me to do so.

The last couple of one-off dates I've had, the men haven't expressed any problem with coming to pick me up and drive us to dinner, the movies, etc. And, no, these were not just old guys with old ideas of dating. They were in their late-20s/early-30s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 05:14 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,033,694 times
I would think it would depend on the circumstances.

What is the state of public transport in the area?
Is it readily available? Is it safe?
How much would an Uber cost? Is there availability there?

Too many external factors to consider, IMO.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,724,777 times
I think it probably depends on the circumstances. I lived in one city (not in the US) that had a comprehensive bus service. We had people who were spending around 90 minutes on buses going roughly 5-7 miles because there was no direct route to get from residential area A where they lived to residential area B where I worked. They had to go to a central transfer zone (which required a ride on this hairpin turn road) and then essentially go mostly back to where they came. By the time I left, they had gotten a direct A to B route in and people said that took 15 minutes! I would not be happy spending time on 2 hairpin turn buses for 90 minutes when I knew someone could drive for 15 and get to my house. I think Hairpin 2 was canceled at any hint of snow, but I am not sure about Hairpin 1 because I never rode it. Hairpin 2 was just awful.

On the other hand, if we are talking a reasonably direct bus route where the bus stops are safe/well lit that doesn't take all that much more time than driving, I don't see why she shouldn't be willing to take the bus. It will take him 10 minutes to drive and her 20 minutes on the bus, then she should take the bus from time to time.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 PM

645 posts, read 754,173 times
I think this type of situation eventually gets old....I would never date someone without a car! Eventually i would get sick of doing all the driving....Why would you want to date a grown adult that doesn't even have reliable transportation especially in cali where a car is pretty much a necessity? no thank you

Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,655,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
I think this type of situation eventually gets old....I would never date someone without a car! Eventually i would get sick of doing all the driving....Why would you want to date a grown adult that doesn't even have reliable transportation especially in cali where a car is pretty much a necessity? no thank you
I said I would never date anyone without a car but I tried it for a few weeks. He used Uber a lot. I did end up giving him a ride a few times (it was a very short distance), but I definitely didn't want to make it a habit because I hate driving, and I don't feel comfortable driving a man around. Sorry, not sorry.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:08 PM

472 posts, read 441,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post

If the person in question doesn't have their license or whatever, I would teach them how to drive so they can pass the test, get the license, and a car.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,360,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Has she indicated why she will not take public transportation?
In such case, she does use public transportation. But if she was selective in where she goes, no, I wouldn't go out of my way.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:16 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,567,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
In such case, she does use public transportation. But if she was selective in where she goes, no, I wouldn't go out of my way.
Yes but why is she being selective in where she's goes?

Is it because she can't be bothered to go far, doesn't feel safe traveling through certain areas etc etc...... Both of these have different answers to your OP for the obvious reason mate

Old 07-20-2016, 08:41 AM

733 posts, read 604,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
If the person in question doesn't have their license or whatever, I would teach them how to drive so they can pass the test, get the license, and a car.
In the US, the most probable reason for an adult to not have a car/truck is financial difficulties

Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,460,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
In the US, the most probable reason for an adult to not have a car/truck is financial difficulties
Not necessarily. Portland, for example, is a very environmentally friendly city. As such, there's a good public transportation system and it's very bike friendly. The suburbs, not as much, but you can easily live and work and have a fully active social life here without a car - I have a few friends who don't have one and they aren't struggling financially - they just don't need one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships