Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Some people are friend collectors. They'll add anyone who asks.

I removed the "add friend" function from my profile so I don't have to worry about it. I've never added anyone I've dated.
OH, I've added people I've actually dated. If we became friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 08:53 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,536,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I just never liked someone knowing that much about me who may not be in my life that long. I never give my real first name to a woman until after about 3 or 4 dates.
I went on a single date with a guy from Tinder who I found out had lied about his first name (found out when he gave his real name to the Starbucks barista when we met for coffee). I called him on it. He tried to explain it away because of potential "psycho" or stalker women. I told him I don't really think much of men who are so scared of women they won't disclose something as basic as their first name; women have WAY more to fear from men, IMO, and if I'm not afraid of giving a man I'm meeting for coffee my first name, he should't be, either. I also felt like an ass for addressing him by his fake name for the couple of days we had been messaging.

Part of dating is allowing someone else to get to know you. If you are so afraid of other people that you feel you have to lie about your name, you shouldn't be dating. This kind of paranoia does not bode well for a relationship, which requires trust.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:02 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,420,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
I went on a single date with a guy from Tinder who I found out had lied about his first name (found out when he gave his real name to the Starbucks barista when we met for coffee). I called him on it. He tried to explain it away because of potential "psycho" or stalker women. I told him I don't really think much of men who are so scared of women they won't disclose something as basic as their first name; women have WAY more to fear from men, IMO, and if I'm not afraid of giving a man I'm meeting for coffee my first name, he should't be, either. I also felt like an ass for addressing him by his fake name for the couple of days we had been messaging.

Part of dating is allowing someone else to get to know you. If you are so afraid of other people that you feel you have to lie about your name, you shouldn't be dating. This kind of paranoia does not bode well for a relationship, which requires trust.
While I don't disagree, this doesn't mean men shouldn't also be careful. Just because a woman may be comfortable with something early on, doesn't mean the guy should be as well. Let's not start with the double standards here..

That being said, I do agree with the fact that lying about your first name is definitely a bit beyond paranoia, imo. Most people have a pretty generic first name for the most part, so I don't see what there'd be to fear.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 07-31-2016 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,536,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
While I don't disagree, this doesn't mean men shouldn't also be careful. Just because a woman may be comfortable with something early on, doesn't mean the guy should be as well. Let's not start with the double standards here..

That being said, I do agree with the fact that lying about your first name is definitely a bit beyond paranoia, imo. Most people have a pretty generic first name for the most part, so I don't see what there'd be to fear.
Basic caution is always warranted when meeting a stranger for the first time. But I stand by my statement that I feel women have more to fear in meeting an unknown man for the first time; pretty sure statistics would back me up on that.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,362,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The purpose is that it makes it easier to snoop on them and verify that they're telling the truth about things.
This. And you get to know their likes, dislikes, habits, etc. If the relationship falls through, you can just unfriend him/her.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:38 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,012,315 times
Quote:

Isn't Tinder all about hooking up? So I can understand why some people might choose not to use their correct name.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Isn't Tinder all about hooking up? So I can understand why some people might choose not to use their correct name.
It may have been mainly about hooking up when the app first came out, but it's definitely evolved into other things.

Many people use it without the intention of hooking up, and some long term relationships have come out of it.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Basic caution is always warranted when meeting a stranger for the first time. But I stand by my statement that I feel women have more to fear in meeting an unknown man for the first time; pretty sure statistics would back me up on that.
I definitely don't disagree with that.

Overall, both genders should use basic caution when meeting someone for the first time. I always like to meet my dates in a public place for that very reason.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
If you give a fake first name, you are a straight-up weirdo who probably should have dating much further down on your to-do list.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,029,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you give a fake first name, you are a straight-up weirdo who probably should have dating much further down on your to-do list.
I use my middle name to start things off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships