Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Has nothing to do with age. Our four kids each had various LEGO sets, the large and involved ones. None of them, not one, is complete (think Space Shuttle missing a cargo bay hatch) because their mother would see it and throw it away, not knowing what it was.
Yikes; Lego sets are expensive & alot of those peices are very set-specific...I've spent $200 on certain Lego sets, no way even 1 little peice is going in the trash. Some have fallen victim to the vacuum though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Sometimes it happens to me and I live alone.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:48 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
I have this odd-looking contraption about the size of a pocket-book. It's made of wood, fiberglass and metal. I remember spending a lot of time designing and making it about 20 years ago. But I can't remember what it was supposed to do.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:39 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I am one of those that people give stuff to, rather than take them to good will, or the dump.
Dad was a junk collector and I inherited the skill and also inherited his collection as well .
Yes I call it a skill ,because working in the repair industry it is important to know what things are made of, and how they work.
Many things can be reattached naturally, like welding steel or melting glass, or plastics .
There are a lot of widgets around I know what they are, but no one else necessarily does, and they understand this, and come to me to find out what they are to find out why I'm saving it .
I actually put to work a lot of things people usually throw away with out a second thought .
My wife came from a family that accumulated too but they did not do much with what they had accumulated. However she understood me and appreciated that I put thing to work and repaired practically every thing.
Probably the most frustrating was on some jobs and some one in charge is cleaning out an area of accumulation and starts throwing out stuff simply because they did not know what it was 'the products /equipment were not their department".
Not the right person for the job.
But they assume that decision/position, because they are frustrated with the accumulation, and those whom are qualified don't take action fast enough to suit them.
It becomes a war of service over appearance, and it usually turns out being very expensive.
The trick is keeping things organized and or doing one's own diligent recycling . that's the hard part.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
My wife has now promised that she won't throw anything away that looks like it might be a part of something. I feel for you.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:00 AM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
Default What was it?

@CorvetteMinistries... just curious! What did she toss?
(I live alone but rely on the junk drawer and the coffee can.)

Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
“I didn’t know what it was so I threw it away”

Actually, look at the sentence.
I didn't know what it was.
If you don't know what something is, you shouldn't do anything with it one way or another.
Least of all throw it away.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
LOL!

Yes she shouldn't have thrown it away but don't leave things lying around

Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Husband: “Honey, have you seen a black plastic bracket lying around? It’s about yay long and has two prongs on one side and a hole on the other.”

Wife: “Yes, it was on the floor in the den.”

Husband (relieved): “Thank goodness! I’m so glad you found it. You can’t buy that piece, you have to buy the whole assembly and that would cost us a fortune. Where is it? Did you put it on my desk?”

Wife: “I didn’t know what it was so I threw it away.”

Has that ever happened to you?
Yup. I've been on both ends of this. And, while it's frustrating when it happens, I realize that the other person has not done it on purpose, so I get on with life.

My partner works on 1/2400 scale military models. The pieces are really small and sometimes don't look like anything other than trash. I have thrown a couple of pieces out, thinking that they were trash. He learned very quickly to put things away in his hobby room.

Unless it's something that looks like it's important, I'm not going to ask him about every piece of plastic and metal that I come across.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
@CorvetteMinistries... just curious! What did she toss?
The sketch that began this thread was inspired by incidents that have happened numerous times in the past. I don't remember the original item, but it was about yay long, had two prongs on one side .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
LOL!

Yes she shouldn't have thrown it away but don't leave things lying around
I didn't leave it around - it fell off a larger item without my knowledge. "Lying around" in the initial post meant "lying where it fell." Mea Culpa! See post #9 for a similar example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

Unless it's something that looks like it's important, I'm not going to ask him about every piece of plastic and metal that I come across.
I don't expect her to ask about every piece of plastic or metal she comes across - but she does place unidentifiable finds on my desk for my evaluation. It comes up much less than one would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships