Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:48 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times

Advertisements

Doubt it.

Things like that are more for entertainment purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 02:35 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I've always found it to pretty much be balderdash.
The horoscopes are balderdash, but not so the basic character traits, and the compatibility of the various zodiac signs. Sure other things play into it, but I am always amazed how similar persons of the same sign are regarding their core personality traits, behavior and reactions; they differ between male and female, too.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
No, I don't think so.

I'm a Capricorn and my two longest relationships have been with a Sagittarius and a Taurus.

I thought I remembered seeing Capricorn and Sagittarius were a horrible match, but the relationship lasted over 5 years.
Best matches for Capricorn are

Taurus
Scorpio
Capricorn
Virgo

Not good

Aries
Gemini
Sagittarius

It is said that Capricorn is too "boring" for the bubbly, outgoing and adventurous Sagittarius.
TRUE ?? How was it?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Like if two cancers were dating or two Taurus were dating.

Last night I was reading about the personality descriptions and just thou it seem interesting to discuss.

Do zodiac signs mean anything or it is just a myth?
Astrology, and all around it, is one if the oldest sciences, there must be something to it.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Best matches for Capricorn are

Taurus
Scorpio
Capricorn
Virgo

Not good

Aries
Gemini
Sagittarius

It is said that Capricorn is too "boring" for the bubbly, outgoing and adventurous Sagittarius.
TRUE ?? How was it?
Haha! Oddly enough, one of her complaints was that I never wanted to do anything or go anywhere. But I really believe that I was in a point in my life where I was unhappy with the way I looked. I weighed 285 pounds (at my heaviest) and didn't wanna go out in public a whole hell of a lot. We did go to the beach regularly in the summer (lived in Jersey) and went on vacation. We did things like that. But I think she wanted to go out to eat and to the movies and shopping more often, things like that. Whereas I would rather get take out and bring it back home to eat and sit in and watch hockey. I still am glued to the TV during hockey season, but I go out more and I'm very happy with the way I look now, after losing all the weight.

It's funny that Taurus is the best match, that's what my fiance is. The first girl I was ever with was a Scorpio, but it wasn't a long relationship at all. Was with an Aries too, there was more bedroom chemistry than anything else in that. Not that I believe it had anything to do with zodiac signs.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Virgo best match-Capricorn
Good matches-Virgo, Taurus, Cancer, Gemini
Opposite match-Pisces, Libra
Worst match-Leo, Sagittarius, Aries, Scorpio, Aquarius,

In reality best was an Aries and a Gemini.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Astrology, and all around it, is one if the oldest sciences, there must be something to it.
I hate to say it but what there is to it is the fact that people have always attempted to understand their world and to at least feel like they have a hand in controlling it.

It is also a human characteristic to attempt to detect patterns; hence, we will think of a "hit" (astrologically or otherwise) as uncanny while ignoring the previous 20 times that were "misses," and/or we'll assign a "hit" to something with even the vaguest validity.

There's a man who tries to debunk psychics (I'm not saying I don't believe at all that there's any such thing as psychic ability, in fact, I'm fascinated with the idea) - I can't remember his name, but he offered a million dollars or something like that to any psychic who could prove him/herself accurate. Sylvia Browne famously accepted and then was a no-show. Anyway, I saw a video of him speaking to a class of students. He handed out astrology reports to the students. THEN he had them pass them back. It turned out the FIRST papers were for the sun sign behind the person who had it - yet nearly all the students were exclaiming over the (wrong) reports, how uncannily accurate they were and so on. Meanwhile, the now-correct papers were about as accurate...overall, neither more nor less so than the wrong ones.

We want to believe life is all for something and that there are patterns (and who knows? maybe there are), and we want to think we can magically control our destinies. Astrology fits this bill, usually by using generalities that could fit almost anyone and if they don't, there's usually a safety net of "if this didn't come true for you today, it's because of (reason X)." (Sometimes it's even YOUR fault your own astrological "reading" was inaccurate.) For instance: "You are either too controlling of your relationships, or not enough - stop going to extremes, Virgo!" and "If you didn't lose money today, consider it a near miss: whatever-such is in whatever-moon at the moment, making financial snafus a distinct possibility for most. Breathe a sigh of relief, Leo...or if you didn't manage to avoid (planet's) financially confusing influence, don't worry, your moon moves to (whatever) next week."

My own sun sign is directly contrary to who I am IRL and how I operate. So is my moon sign. So is my rising sign...I've gotten farther than that with those arguing to defend their astrological beliefs and trying to give me my "correct" chart...it's been down to "you may have accidentally been using Greenwich time" (LOL!) and that sort of thing...come on...when it's NO 100 times, if you FINALLY give me ONE yes I'm not going to turn into a true believer.

I mean I have nothing against astrology, as a for-fun thing. I just can't see hanging my star (har har...see what I did there?) on it or trying to convince the next person it must be accurate. If YOU like it, that's fine. I like The Dead Files even though it's almost certainly 50% drama and 49% someone doing some behind-the-scenes investigations before the "cold" walk-throughs. I'm not judging, but at the same time, don't try to convince me astrology is valid.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Okay, so, not to belabor the point, but here's my horoscope for today per astrology.com. I'll quote it by sentences or paragraphs and reply:

Quote:
Watch out for the people who are trying to quiet you down today -- they are probably more afraid that what you say will make them look bad than anything else.
Nobody tried to quiet me down today that I know of.

Quote:
You can't let their insecurities stop you from shining, so go forward with whatever your plans were, no matter what the worrywarts say.
This could apply to literally anyone, any day, week or month of any year, of either gender, any age and any locale on the globe.

Quote:
You can make a good impression by sticking to your guns and not succumbing to fear -- even if your conviction is mostly an act. Bluffing is a legitimate tactic, and if you have to use it today, use it!
Again, this is general advice that COULD apply to anyone. And it only gives a possibility, anyway, allowing for it NOT to happen, funny how that works. (IOW, there's no way this horoscope could fail, given it's saying, "Today, X might work. Or it might not.")

FTR, I don't think I had to bluff regarding anything today. It was a normal, average work-and-kids day.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:58 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This could apply to literally anyone, any day, week or month of any year, of either gender, any age and any locale on the globe.
FTR, I don't think I had to bluff regarding anything today. It was a normal, average work-and-kids day.
Yeah, I always make it work and say, oh that's me!
Today:

"You know that perfection is impossible, so if you are getting excited, let yourself get excited! It would be a shame to waste an opportunity to be so hopeful."

Yes, I had to call 911 and get help for the out-of-control. I was hopeful not to get hurt, it was really exciting I guess....oh wait same thing last week. I am an Aries though, so I do relate to charging around with my horns out

Old 08-19-2016, 01:44 PM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Modern psychology is infact rooted in astrology. It's no coincidence Carl Jung incorporated astrology into his work. . . And astrology itself is a crucial element of the hermetic triad. ~ Though I find City-Data isn't exactly the type of crowd that gets into advanced stuff like this..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships