Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 AM

602 posts, read 396,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
But that makes too much sense!

From my reading it seems the OP has only hit the glass ceiling but is still employed, making a good salary. He probably fears a major financial hit if they divorce and he's saddled with a 50% loss, plus child support. Taking a mistress is a temporary fix. Eventually something has to give way.

Since he's still young, he should get his divorce and rebuild his life now. I'm not condoning his attitude, just making a suggestion.
Maybe I'm weird but I'd rather take a financial hit and be able to face myself every day than keep the status quo (plus a side piece) and be a dirtbag. I was in that position, and yes - I am broke but content. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 08:41 AM

7 posts, read 7,942 times
First of all I'm sorry to have brought realationships into this forum but realize that once you have a family, a move and a relationship is related.

True facts. (Based on some of your comments)

1. I'm not making any of this up. It's all true. I'm an educated engineer.

2. At first there was lots of intimacy while I was finishing up college then all of a sudden there was nothing but anger. What did I do? I spoke badly of her family and didn't do chores around the house. I have done nothing else that warrants her behavior.

3. A part of me actually wonders if the person I married is long gone and what I have now is just a body double, maybe even an alien. Ok now I'm being imaginative.

4. She actually hits me. But this hasn't happened in a while. She's sort of happy now cause we spent thousands of dollars renovating the house. But still not enough for intimacy. She thinks intimacy is for procreation only and there is no need for it otherwise.

But thank all of you really. I will probably stay close to my family whether I move to Raleigh (then I'll bring them with me), go to Santa Monica (visit on the weekends) or stay where I am.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:00 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Move to Raleigh and find a cheap round tripper to fly the son in as often as you can.

My sister and her hubby split and she brought the son down to TX while the ex stayed in Delaware. The kiddo stayed in DE during the summer and saw pops plenty. He has two awesome uncles to jump him if he ever got out of line, but it never got to that. Support structure, ftw.

You have cellphones, Skype, et al. You won't be absent.

If you have to fork out for child support and alimony, at least be out of a festering dungheap like Cali. Besides, NC isn't the sausagefest Cali is. You could win there.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:35 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
If I were you, I'd get a divorce. My friends who had divorced parents were way more scarred by their parents' fighting/animosity than they were by the actual separation. You're also still pretty young and if this woman isn't right for you, you should find someone who makes you happy. What would be better for your son... to have a depressed/resentful father who's there all the time or a happy father who is joyful each time he sees his child. Just my opinion, and I am not a parent, but I was a child once. I know a separation "does the job" too but considering your wife has spent so much money on the house already (and you seem to be slightly disapproving), why do you want to be financially responsible for her spending indefinitely?

On dating... keep in mind it may be easier for you to meet women your age in LA than Raleigh, which is more family-oriented (especially if you live in the suburbs). You really need to visit if you want to consider this... not knocking Raleigh at all but those types of 'burbs aren't everyone's cup of tea. I'd choose LA in your position simply because it might be easier to date, you'd be closer to your son, and I do think you can afford it. You don't need to live in Santa Monica to work there, obviously.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:03 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
You seem more worried about how much money you make and how big your penis is more than anything. You can live a better life than what you have now in a lower cost of living area, even though you're making less money. People do it all the time and thats why the metros in states like NC are growing. Why make such a drastic move though clear to the east coast and be so far from family?

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-02-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 01:20 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorblaster View Post
NorasMom,

I hear you. I know a 11 year old boy needs a father but hear me out here. And BTW he's closer to his mom. I guess I can say this since I'm anonymous anyway but I've kissed my wife maybe 5 times in the last 2 years. And if the kiss lasts for more than half a second; that is, the micro-second she thinks I'm enjoying it, she pushes me away. I cannot live like this, I'm lonely even though I have a family. I still get looks from college girls but I've never crossed the line. Most guys wouldn't last 6 months like this but I've lasted years.
What does kissing or not kissing your wife have anything to do with a boy needing his father? You've never even once expressed love, concern, or ANY emotion for your son on this thread.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:37 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorblaster View Post
Or I could just abandon my family here and find a new life in NC and hopefully they will still be covered in medical in blue shield or whatever (cause you guys don't have Kaiser over there). !
You are asking a group of Internet strangers whether you should abandon your 11 y.o. son for a few thousand dollar pay increase. You want us to help you cost-justify this decision? WTF

Old 10-02-2016, 01:37 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
What does kissing or not kissing your wife have anything to do with a boy needing his father? You've never even once expressed love, concern, or ANY emotion for your son on this thread.
I agree ^^^. The OP comes off as pretty selfish and cold, and mainly concerned with how much money he can make. My advice - do your family a favor and move to Raleigh. Make sure you at least provide plenty of financial help since I don't think you can provide any emotional help here. Not everyone is meant to be married or have a family.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
IDK, but even if the Mr. and I were to hit the skids, I can't image either one of us making a drastic move, no matter how much we might want to, or how much lower the cost of living might be. Your kid needs you more than a few weeks out if the year.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
You sound like a horrible father. Just being honest. Perhaps I'll get infracted for this but you really sound like a horrible father. No matter what happens between me and my husband - neither one of us would EVER abandon our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
View detailed profiles of: