Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

been single & alone since 94.
i love it. i am no longer a servant in my own home.
all my giving is now voluntary much better arrangement
and appreciated much more.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-24-2008 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
As far as responsibilities go... if it's inside the house its mine, if its outside the house its his. That is just a general rule of thumb because my husband cooks dinner 80% of the time, and he does the laundry as often as I do, both of which are inside. I guess I owe it to him to go outside and do something!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,490 times
Ours is a home filled with teamwork...but it took work to get it that way. Hubby and I clean the house together, splitting it evenly. He's had messy roommates and ex-wife so it was an adjustment period for him to live with me. I like an orderly, clean house and am cranky when it's unorganized....so the mantra in my house is "a happy Me is a clean Me..." LOL...hubby loves to complain, in a funny way, and he'll grumble while cleaning but he's getting used to living in better conditions.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,270 times
My wife and I share our responsibilities. She isn't crazy about walking the dogs and I enjoy it so in return, she cooks dinner and cleans up. I typically do all our laundry while watching a game on TV (shh, don't tell my friends!) I do all the outdoor chores and she'll tackle more of the indoor chores, vacuuming, etc.

I think if you asked her, she would say I am extremely helpful. If she didn't, well, then she's going to have to walk the dogs!!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flindras View Post
roadless, you do a whole bunch! Sometimes women get spoiled (smile). Can I be your wife??
sorry he is taken already

Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadlesstravelled View Post
I've read that today's males on average are more involved with their children than previous generations, which is a big positive. I know housework isn't usually divided evenly, but are most men doing more in this area?
Since my wife and I both work, I think it's fair that I do my part. I think I do, but in her eyes I don't do anymore than most men. Besides doing the 'typical male chores' like mowing the lawn, other yard work, dealing with the trash, handle my finances and taking care of the dogs, I also do the vacuuming and grocery shopping. I fold my own laundry and put it away (she does the kids and her own) and do more than half of the meals and dishes. I'm very involved with our kids, helping with homework, reading and playing with them, taking them to places without her occasionally, and watching them when she is running errands or with her friends. My wife doesn't like camping, so most weekends in the summer the kids and I camp without her, giving her 'quiet weekends'. Btw she doesn't need to clean up after me (no dirty clothes on the floor,etc)
So am I not doing my share? Am I falling short compared to most husbands/fathers? I'd like to think that most men are helping more with the chores at home just like they're more involved in parenting but I haven't read anything to that effect.
Great job man. Your are doing a great job already and your wife should be grateful to have such a husband as you.

I grew up with parents who shared responsibility so yes, we are different from the "yester-year" generation.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:35 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
I think men do a whole lot more now. I am a stay-at-home mom and my husband still does a lot around the house too. I feel beyond lucky and I look at how different it was even for my parents.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I think men do a whole lot more now. I am a stay-at-home mom and my husband still does a lot around the house too. I feel beyond lucky and I look at how different it was even for my parents.
My parents are immigrants from Europe. My Mom would be in the back yard with my Dad handing him shearers, small step ladders and helping him shovel, pull weeds, whatever. My Dad would be in the kitchen cutting up food and stuff that my Mom would put into the meals she prepared. My parents were always doing chores/work around the house together. My Dad has been deceased for a few years now from a prolonged decline related to cardiac issues.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
My parents are immigrants from Europe. My Mom would be in the back yard with my Dad handing him shearers, small step ladders and helping him shovel, pull weeds, whatever. My Dad would be in the kitchen cutting up food and stuff that my Mom would put into the meals she prepared. My parents were always doing chores/work around the house together. My Dad has been deceased for a few years now from a prolonged decline related to cardiac issues.
Sorry to hear about that. I bet he is missed and hope he instilled excellent mannerisms in all of you.
My dad also recently passed away may his soul as well as that of your dad and everyones love one rest in perfect peace.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:14 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
I am so sorry to hear about both of your loses. Robert, your dad sounded like a gem. I love that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships