Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:25 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times

Advertisements

Shoot them a message saying, "--it ---ch, you iz fine!" That might get you a ton of responses that'll lean heavily in your favor................or not. Just try it and come back to tell us how it went!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Seriously, why in the world do people actually think that saying "hi" to a stranger will get their attention and warrant a warm response?

It's like the thing on some people's profiles "ask me if you want to know more". No thanks. Why in the world would I want to know more about you- a stranger? Give me something, anything.
Right? Er, nothing about your uninformative profile remotely piques my curiosity and makes we want to know more.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Same reason I wouldn't respond as a guy. No effort, doesn't say anything, no reason to believe they read my profile.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:24 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Same reason I wouldn't respond as a guy. No effort, doesn't say anything, no reason to believe they read my profile.
Sending hi is the least amount of effort you can make, short of not sending a message at all.

The OP spammed 100 women and complains that he had no success doing the bare minimum. As a woman, my impression is that if he made so little effort, he probably makes little effort in other areas of life and i'm not interested in a guy like that.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:35 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,285,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I've never known any woman who got a dozen messages a day after the initial "new meat" phase is over. I just honestly think it's a myth for most women. You should be putting your best foot forward regardless, right?
Also the vast majority don't turn into dates, so it really isn't as time consuming as you think. Overall it's something like 10 messages = 5 will disappear within 2 days of exchanging e-mails, 3 more will disappear when I hint that I would like to take it offline, one will say "okay I would like that too" but then never give me his number or suggest anything so that dies out, in the end maybe one turns into a meet.

If you come across a woman's profile that you like, and you think that woman has potential, you would still only write a nice message if you thought you had lots of competition? If not, you'd just say "hi", thinking she'd be desperate enough to accept that? That's kind of what your post sounds like, to be honest.

Again, on the occasions when I write men, I ask them a question and comment on what in his profile caught my eye, not because I might have competition, but because it's just the proper way to introduce yourself to someone.

If you were in a bar trying to meet a woman, would you just tap her on the shoulder and say "hi", then just stare blankly at her waiting for her to start a conversation?
Normally you'd ask a question, make a comment, ask her to dance, whatever. It really shouldn't be that different because it's online.

You make a really good point here. When you're out somewhere and you're talking to someone who's not directly affiliated with you or your circle of friends, don't you start most conversations with a "hi" or something similar? I would get frustrated when a woman would just start a message with "hi" for me as well, but for different reasons. When I respond back stating I wasn't interested, she would come back with a jab remark.

Most of the time online, there's going to be a handful of people that are getting the majority of the attention. It's no different than going out with your friends. I have a really good friend, before he was married, that would get attention all the time while he was out. He had a look that many women liked.

I completely understand why men and women do put little effort into their profiles, because at the end of the day, it's just a few words on the screen. The profile pictures and hopefully the exchange of numbers will actually lead to a meet/date. Otherwise, you're just keeping that person company till the person they really want takes their attention. Just don't fall into that trap and you're fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships