Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 02:03 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkeno View Post
I'm 25 and I never any sort of intimate relationship. Not even a casual fling. University took a heavy toll on me, I was always busy. Besides, I've struggled with anxiety, depression and tons of insecurities since childhood.

I'm more stable right now and I have this sensation of inner peace for the first time in my life. The thought of never having a relationship feels the natural thing to happen. It's as if it's a world where I know I don't belong to.

Truth be told, no girl has ever expressed any interest in me and even if one did, I wouldn't notice it.

When I think about long term plans for my life, they never included anyone else besides myself. My friends are all coupled up nowadays and it's harder and harder to get together. So I'm getting very used to doing things on my own.

Is this in any way unusual?
It's ok to not want a relationship. You may or may not change your mind as time goes on.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:06 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Unusual? Yes. Most people have some kind of romantic relationship at some time in their lives.

Som people are not meant to have romantic relationships. You are probably one of them. Time will tell for sure.
I'm his age as well, and I've never been in a romantic relationship either. Sometimes, I do wonder if I'm meant to be in one (women just have never seen me in that realm for whatever reason). Then again, I've only ever really been interesting in dating/relationships myself over the past 2-3 years or so.

That being said, like me, the OP is still very young. He's 25, not 65 or something like that.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 10-02-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 02:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I'd be happy to not want a romantic relationship instead of wanting one but no one wanting a relationship with me. Far nicer problem to have.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:13 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Romantic relationships aren't/can't be planned or an experience you check off a list.

Having a connection and developing that close of a bond happens naturally. It's best to pursue your passions, learn yourself, and how to be comfortable in your own skin. All the rest will fall into place if you allow it to.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:22 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkeno View Post
I'm 25 and I never any sort of intimate relationship. Not even a casual fling. University took a heavy toll on me, I was always busy. Besides, I've struggled with anxiety, depression and tons of insecurities since childhood.

I'm more stable right now and I have this sensation of inner peace for the first time in my life. The thought of never having a relationship feels the natural thing to happen. It's as if it's a world where I know I don't belong to.

Truth be told, no girl has ever expressed any interest in me and even if one did, I wouldn't notice it.

When I think about long term plans for my life, they never included anyone else besides myself. My friends are all coupled up nowadays and it's harder and harder to get together. So I'm getting very used to doing things on my own.

Is this in any way unusual?
I have a very good friend for 35 years who is dying of pancreatic cancer. He recently told the women he loved and he harbored feelings for 30 years he loved her. She was also unmarried and evidently loved him, too. They will be married this month and are living together now finally after so many years apart. I'm happy for them, but why did they wait so long??? He will likely die before the new year begins. I wish he and/or she had been brave before now. So, so much I wish that. They wasted so much time....

I have two single, never married female friends over 50. Neither is happy alone. That is my experience. Both are very, very successful professionally.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-02-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 03:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I have a very good friend for 35 years who is dying of pancreatic cancer. He recently told the women he loved and he harbored feelings for 30 years he loved her. She was also unmarried and evidently loved him, too. They will be married this month and are living together now finally after so many years apart. I'm happy for them, but why did they wait so long??? He will likely die before the new year begins. I wish he and/or she had been brave before now. So, so much I wish that. They wasted so much time....

I have two single friends over 50. Neither is happy alone. That is my experience. Both are very successful professionally.
I think those who are lifelong single would be happier if society at large didn't place so much damned emphasis on family and dating and marriage. Being single is seen as a disease in so many aspects of life at large, you feel inadequate if you have had struggles with getting a relationship.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:46 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
If you're OK with being single forever, then I see no problems, as long as you keep an open mind and are open to the possibility of meeting someone special, in the future.

I, on the other hand, need to figure out how to be OK with being single forever.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think those who are lifelong single would be happier if society at large didn't place so much damned emphasis on family and dating and marriage. Being single is seen as a disease in so many aspects of life at large, you feel inadequate if you have had struggles with getting a relationship.
I don't think humans were built to be alone. To pretend a solitary life without a partner is a good thing is not being honest, in my opinion.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-02-2016 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 03:59 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't think humans were built to be alone. To pretend a solitary life without a partner is a good thing is not being honest, in my opinion.
Except you can't speak for all humans. Some are truly content and happier being single.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Except you can't speak for all humans. Some are truly content and happier being single.
I speak from experience of 50+ years of life. Take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships