Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:01 PM

64 posts, read 66,474 times

Advertisements

I don't have much of a relationship with my parents or siblings. We don't fight or anything, we just are not that close. We all live 8-9 hours away from each other and I'll call my parents maybe 1-2 times a year around the holidays.

I talked to my sister a few months ago and didn't even know she had got divorced a year ago, and had another kid. I don't really talk about my family or growing up much, we were really poor and I was an awkward, shy mess in school. I hated my childhood and I'm really happy where I'm at now.

In my last relationship I feel like this was one of the things that really irked my girlfriend. She always said she knows nothing about me or my past and I'd never really talk about it or my family since there isn't much to say. I always found it so weird how she talked to her sisters, brother and parents almost daily. I figured it was just an Asain thing. She eventually monkey branched over to some dentist guy that owns his practice and has a lot of money, It's one of the reasons I relocated to Denver. Just needed a change of scenery and the skiing is better!

I feel like I'm a pretty open book, I don't use social media aside from Intsagam that I post pictures of my travels on, I only have like 18 followers that are co workers for the most part. I had a Facebook just to try out tinder but I don't have friends or even use it. I guess that's weird for a 30-something too? Maybe I'm still just a little to unavailable and closed, but I feel like I let people in more than I used to.

Anyway, is it a turnoff if the person you're seeing is not close to their family and has a small social circle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 05:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
No, not at all, total non factor in my mind.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
No, it's not a turnoff. In fact, I wouldn't expect them to be close (meaning: I wouldn't assume that), and wouldn't expect to meet them if they lived far away. It wouldn't be relevant to the relationship. There are a lot of people out there who have come from difficult families they're not close to. Some have to maintain a distance just for sanity's sake. So it's not a big deal.

Not having a FB acc't or one that's not active much isn't odd IMO, either. It can be time-consuming to set all that up and keep adding photos and whatever. I'm more into Real Life Now. I don't know if that's unusual, and I don't care.

However, if you feel that you've learned from childhood to close people off and want to become more open, whether in person or online, consider getting some counseling to process your childhood, put it behind you, and learn habits of relating to people that work better for you.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-06-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Yeah, it's weird.

Dude, you didn't know your sister had a kid?! Divorced?

Come on!! I'm not that close to a couple of my sisters but you can make an effort by text to say hi.

Women like family and it's important.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:13 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Yeah, I'd think it was weird.
How do you not know what's going on with your own family?

Old 10-06-2016, 05:14 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
It would depend on the circumstances, but generally, no, I would not find it "weird" that someone was not close to their family.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Some people find it weird/suspicious. Thank goodness my husband wasn't one of them.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:25 PM

64 posts, read 66,474 times
My family was never close, I seen my grandparents more than anyone as a kid. My sister and I had a falling out a long time ago, and I never really seen her much either. It's not like we had some stereotypical childhood you see on sitcoms.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:28 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov84 View Post
I don't have much of a relationship with my parents or siblings. We don't fight or anything, we just are not that close. We all live 8-9 hours away from each other and I'll call my parents maybe 1-2 times a year around the holidays.

I talked to my sister a few months ago and didn't even know she had got divorced a year ago, and had another kid. I don't really talk about my family or growing up much, we were really poor and I was an awkward, shy mess in school. I hated my childhood and I'm really happy where I'm at now.

In my last relationship I feel like this was one of the things that really irked my girlfriend. She always said she knows nothing about me or my past and I'd never really talk about it or my family since there isn't much to say. I always found it so weird how she talked to her sisters, brother and parents almost daily. I figured it was just an Asain thing. She eventually monkey branched over to some dentist guy that owns his practice and has a lot of money, It's one of the reasons I relocated to Denver. Just needed a change of scenery and the skiing is better!

I feel like I'm a pretty open book, I don't use social media aside from Intsagam that I post pictures of my travels on, I only have like 18 followers that are co workers for the most part. I had a Facebook just to try out tinder but I don't have friends or even use it. I guess that's weird for a 30-something too? Maybe I'm still just a little to unavailable and closed, but I feel like I let people in more than I used to.

Anyway, is it a turnoff if the person you're seeing is not close to their family and has a small social circle?
Not a turnoff because I'm in the same situation. My mother and I have had a tough relationship but it has taken me moving away to at least get us to the point we can be okay, but not very close. My dad and I had a pretty sucky relationship and he was absent for the most part in my life. Save for mom, I don't really talk to the rest of my family, either because they don't like my mother for moving away or they have a problem that I had a problem with my dad. I know from experience not all families are Hallmark families so that would not be a problem for me. In fact, I'd be more worried about dating someone who was super close to their family, I just fear I couldn't adapt to that situation.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:31 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, I'd think it was weird.
How do you not know what's going on with your own family?
Physical distance, as well as emotional distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships