Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I guess you missed this that generally indicates one is goofing around and kidding.
Yeah, but you're also making light of people's careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 03:00 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, but you're also making light of people's careers.
LOL, been here a long time and you're one tough nut to crack and have a joke with.

If I offended, sorry.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Nah, I'm cool!

Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov84 View Post
I don't have much of a relationship with my parents or siblings. We don't fight or anything, we just are not that close. We all live 8-9 hours away from each other and I'll call my parents maybe 1-2 times a year around the holidays.

I talked to my sister a few months ago and didn't even know she had got divorced a year ago, and had another kid. I don't really talk about my family or growing up much, we were really poor and I was an awkward, shy mess in school. I hated my childhood and I'm really happy where I'm at now.

In my last relationship I feel like this was one of the things that really irked my girlfriend. She always said she knows nothing about me or my past and I'd never really talk about it or my family since there isn't much to say. I always found it so weird how she talked to her sisters, brother and parents almost daily. I figured it was just an Asain thing. She eventually monkey branched over to some dentist guy that owns his practice and has a lot of money, It's one of the reasons I relocated to Denver. Just needed a change of scenery and the skiing is better!

I feel like I'm a pretty open book, I don't use social media aside from Intsagam that I post pictures of my travels on, I only have like 18 followers that are co workers for the most part. I had a Facebook just to try out tinder but I don't have friends or even use it. I guess that's weird for a 30-something too? Maybe I'm still just a little to unavailable and closed, but I feel like I let people in more than I used to.

Anyway, is it a turnoff if the person you're seeing is not close to their family and has a small social circle?
Well, if you can pull it off, fake a French accent and tell her "Mademoiselle, after my service in the Foreign Legion, I have no past".

Not just anybody can pull this off, if you are much under 30 it's not likely to be believable...

Old 10-07-2016, 05:25 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Wrong again, how about.........*some* women, that is closer to true.
Some men/women like to argue!

Most who can't take a right answer.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov84 View Post
I don't have much of a relationship with my parents or siblings. We don't fight or anything, we just are not that close. We all live 8-9 hours away from each other and I'll call my parents maybe 1-2 times a year around the holidays.

I talked to my sister a few months ago and didn't even know she had got divorced a year ago, and had another kid. I don't really talk about my family or growing up much, we were really poor and I was an awkward, shy mess in school. I hated my childhood and I'm really happy where I'm at now.

In my last relationship I feel like this was one of the things that really irked my girlfriend. She always said she knows nothing about me or my past and I'd never really talk about it or my family since there isn't much to say. I always found it so weird how she talked to her sisters, brother and parents almost daily. I figured it was just an Asain thing. She eventually monkey branched over to some dentist guy that owns his practice and has a lot of money, It's one of the reasons I relocated to Denver. Just needed a change of scenery and the skiing is better!

I feel like I'm a pretty open book, I don't use social media aside from Intsagam that I post pictures of my travels on, I only have like 18 followers that are co workers for the most part. I had a Facebook just to try out tinder but I don't have friends or even use it. I guess that's weird for a 30-something too? Maybe I'm still just a little to unavailable and closed, but I feel like I let people in more than I used to.

Anyway, is it a turnoff if the person you're seeing is not close to their family and has a small social circle?
No, not at all, I would prefer it.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Since you are the one who said it, then you are the one I should be asking.
Being happy for her has nothing to do with me pointing out your use of the term "monkey branching" when describing her.

I see.

Nope I am not reaching to be offended in the least. All I did was read your post and pointed out the things that sounded derogatory.

Grow up? Perhaps you should listen to your own advice. Emotional intelligence goes a long way in the dating world.
Your comments, Matadora, were totally obsolete, and contributed absolutely nothing positive to this discussion. Only useless, negative, unjustified criticism.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:37 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Your comments, Matadora, were totally obsolete, and contributed absolutely nothing positive to this discussion. Only useless, negative, unjustified criticism.
Your post about my comments have contributed nothing to this discussion but negativity and misrepresentation of my intentions.

My comments were appropriate and based on what the OP had said in his opening post.

His rude and derogatory sentiments were not appropriate in the least and really had nothing to do with his question.

Perhaps you need to go back and read post 35.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:51 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batemansbay View Post
my family are a bunch of narcissistic greedy losers. I have no contact with them. I do fine in relationships.
Most folks whether they want to admit it or not come from dysfunctional families. One way to look at it is...it's not your fault but still your problem.

Many people who have unresolved issues with family also have trouble in relationships of any kind.

It's a festering wound that they have buried deep once they choose to cut all ties with the family.

No matter how bad a persons family, they need to find a way to release the wounds and make peace within themselves for whatever happened.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Your post about my comments have contributed nothing to this discussion but negativity and misrepresentation of my intentions.

My comments were appropriate and based on what the OP had said in his opening post.

His rude and derogatory sentiments were not appropriate in the least and really had nothing to do with his question.

Perhaps you need to go back and read post 35.
I read post # 35 where you made your inappropriate criticism how he behaved to this Asian woman dumping him and moving on to a dentist with a lot of money. Sure this upset him, and nothing derogative in his comments.

How would you react if some man dumps you for a rich woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships