Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:55 AM

576 posts, read 824,325 times

Advertisements

I met a man on Facebook and we're meeting up this week.The problem is French and lives in Quebec and I live in Ottawa. He speaks broken English from what I've gathered through text messages. I'm not Canadian so English and French isn't my first launguage either .I speak enough English to communicate effectively with others but I don't understand a word of French, which is why I feel like we are going to have a language barrier .I'm already having hard time understanding some of his texts and often have to guess what he is trying to say.

I asked him if he has skype to video chat,so that way I know he is saying who he is.He says,his internet contact is expensive and that he prefers eyes to eyes contact. Then I suggested we talk on the phone so I can get idea how the conversation will flow in person ... he said sure.We set to talk at 7pm last night but when I texted him to ask If he is ready to talk,he never responded. He just texted me this morning and said "I am real sorry.I miss your call time,I feel cheap" Are u mad?

And he wants me to drive to his city ,in Quebec instead of him coming down here or meet half way..he says he is not familiar with Ottawa It's a 30 minute drive . We're meeting up for a coffee tomorrow but i'm just not sure if I should bother.

Would you still go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:01 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I would never have set up a meeting with those parameters.

You have NO idea, with only texting to go by, what you are getting into.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
What is the attraction here? Why WOULD you meet?

Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I met a man on Facebook and we're meeting up this week.The problem is French and lives in Quebec and I live in Ottawa. He speaks broken English from what I've gathered through text messages. I'm not Canadian so English and French isn't my first launguage either .I speak enough English to communicate effectively with others but I don't understand a word of French, which is why I feel like we are going to have a language barrier .I'm already having hard time understanding some of his texts and often have to guess what he is trying to say.

I asked him if he has skype to video chat,so that way I know he is saying who he is.He says,his internet contact is expensive and that he prefers eyes to eyes contact. Then I suggested we talk on the phone so I can get idea how the conversation will flow in person ... he said sure.We set to talk at 7pm last night but when I texted him to ask If he is ready to talk,he never responded. He just texted me this morning and said "I am real sorry.I miss your call time,I feel cheap" Are u mad?

And he wants me to drive to his city ,in Quebec instead of him coming down here or meet half way..he says he is not familiar with Ottawa It's a 30 minute drive . We're meeting up for a coffee tomorrow but i'm just not sure if I should bother.

Would you still go?
If I were in your shoes, and my only real concern was the language barrier, I would certainly still go. 30 minutes of driving is nothing.

But I'm also the kind of guy that I lives for awkward situations.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:39 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:

Would you still go?
Of course he wants you to go near his place.

It would be too hard to drag you in the car after he drugs your coffee. Plus, the drugs may wear off after the 30 minute drive. Lol!

I would say be careful and keep an eye on your coffee cup.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:

Would you still go?
How hot is he?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Doesn't sound like a good or safe idea to me. But then, I'm not a fan of OLD meet-ups. Too risky.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Doesn't sound like a good or safe idea to me. But then, I'm not a fan of OLD meet-ups. Too risky.
Oh please.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh please.
You're welcome!

Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
No. Sounds like too much of a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships