Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 08:42 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! Yeah, as if they knew in advance how the audience would respond, or they hand-picked the audience in advance, to plan a show around this "unusual" response. The whole thing was orchestrated.

Get a grip.
ok. your post didnt say the name of the show or how the question was phrased. i assumed it was some relationship show like maury/jerry springer which seem (if not staged) to be selective of the type of people they interview.

those reality shows are wacky because if they were normal they would be boring and no one would watch.

eg: on judge judy/hatchet/joe brown/alex/lopez/mathis/divorce court/reinhold/... both sides get paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 08:48 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why don't you all just go to your local Comicon? There must be tons of prospective dates there.

I'm not being facetious. It must happen, right?

And funny though this may sound, in costume, you may have more bravery to approach. That's what the masques of the old days were for.
It does help to attend events. You'll meet people with similar interests.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Where the hell does one 'make a complaint' against a guy who approaches them for a date at Walmart?
Did she go to customer service? Ask to speak with a manager? A manager came running out right away, called for 'your friend' over the Walmart intercom: "Will that one guy who just said something to the lady here come up front now, we have a charge of harassment against you." Your friend just knew they must have meant him, no other guy could have said something to a someone, so he goes to wherever the intercom voice is coming from. There was then an impromptu mock jury trial with the people waiting inline at customer service as the jury. The accuser lady said: "Yes that's him, he has harassed me over in the underwear aisle." Your Friend said, "I did approach her, but I then left when rejected, I am innocent."
The jury found him innocent. He was allowed to leave and decided this fruitcake represents all women, he will never talk to one again, or risk going straight to jail. Because that's how life works.

Sound about right?
LOL!!! I am picturing this in my mind, but it probably went more like...

After the encounter, the woman went to customer service or cashier, asked to speak to a manager, complained, then pointed him out to the manager. The manager went and gave him the business, (threatened arrest, and the like) Then the guy decided, it is not worth the trouble.

But I like your scenario

Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
LOL!!! I am picturing this in my mind, but it probably went more like...

After the encounter, the woman went to customer service or cashier, asked to speak to a manager, complained, then pointed him out to the manager. The manager went and gave him the business, (threatened arrest, and the like) Then the guy decided, it is not worth the trouble.

But I like your scenario
It's not my scenario, I'm just trying to connect the dots on how any of these illogical theatrics could be accomplished. How one got from point A to point F and ended up in a situation as imaginary AF.

The manager isn't in charge of the behavior between 2 people in the store, he may have directed her to call the police though, if that is the appropriate response for a complaint about a guy hitting on you, and then walking away after being rejected...which isn't a crime unless you're thinking like a guy who never asked a girl out before...OR: If a manager were readily available, if the man just happened to walk by as the woman were complaining out in the open looking for the guy who tried to ask for a date, if the manager gave a crap about any of this silliness....and IF THIS WERE A TRUE STORY.

ETA: The thread is: "Why don't women approach men to talk to?" not 'submit your made up story of why women are mean and can't be trusted', which is how these topics always seem to end up after getting turned around by a few who have self imposed restrictions.

Last edited by RbccL; 12-10-2016 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 09:50 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
They do...as long as they are married, at least 20 years older than me, or something else that would obviously preclude the interaction from having any romantic potential.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
ETA: The thread is: "Why don't women approach men to talk to?" not 'submit your made up story of why women are mean and can't be trusted', which is how these topics always seem to end up after getting turned around by a few who have self imposed restrictions.
True. The whole post was off-topic, having nothing to do with women approaching men.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:12 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
ok. your post didnt say the name of the show or how the question was phrased. i assumed it was some relationship show like maury/jerry springer which seem (if not staged) to be selective of the type of people they interview.

those reality shows are wacky because if they were normal they would be boring and no one would watch.

eg: on judge judy/hatchet/joe brown/alex/lopez/mathis/divorce court/reinhold/... both sides get paid.
I see where you're coming from. No, it wasn't one of those. It was an Oprah, and there have been other similar women's talk shows on the subject. Haha--Jerry Springer--ugh!

Old 12-10-2016, 11:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Sometimes because we want to see enough intestinal fortitude in men to at least come up and talk to someone they find attractive. We do not bite, I assure you.
Some do. But that's an entirely different discussion for a different day.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We're not saying someone who's appearance turns you off. We're talking more about that "neutral" range, where you don't notice her, particularly, you're kind of "meh", but then in conversation, she turns out to be kind of cool. Suddenly, you start noticing details of her physical appearance you hadn't noticed before. You become intrigued. So you pursue more convo's with her. Your interest may grow. That's what we're talking about. ....I think. I can't speak 100% for Zentropa, but this is the gist. Of course, there have been instances in the world of people being completely turned off by each other suddenly becoming smitten. I think we're both realistic enough not to expect anything that dramatic from you.

But Zennie has a point; you really don't know what you'd do in any hypothetical situation until it happens to you. Life can be full of surprises. You can swear up and down that you couldn't/wouldn't do X, Y or Z, then a few years later, suddenly there you are; not only X-ing, Y-ing and Z-ing, but W-ing, too. And digging it.

You never know. But I suppose that if you keep to yourself a lot, your chances of being surprised decline significantly.
I've had that happen with a current friend of mine...

Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
It's not my scenario, I'm just trying to connect the dots on how any of these illogical theatrics could be accomplished. How one got from point A to point F and ended up in a situation as imaginary AF.

The manager isn't in charge of the behavior between 2 people in the store, he may have directed her to call the police though, if that is the appropriate response for a complaint about a guy hitting on you, and then walking away after being rejected...which isn't a crime unless you're thinking like a guy who never asked a girl out before...OR: If a manager were readily available, if the man just happened to walk by as the woman were complaining out in the open looking for the guy who tried to ask for a date, if the manager gave a crap about any of this silliness....and IF THIS WERE A TRUE STORY.

Well, then who's scenario was it?!

Jeez!!!

Honestly, I've never was given "the business" for initiating conversation with women, but I had complaints about me for other things that had nothing to do with interacting with people.

I do know that people are nuts, and I have seen weirder and crazier things than this guy getting complained about. I could go into things that I have witnessed and experienced, AND THEY ARE TRUE!!! NOT A STORY, NOT EVEN A TRUE STORY, JUST PLAIN TRUE.

So whether that story is true or not, I could actually see something like that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships