Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times

Advertisements

I'm always curious how many couples, regardless of age, have sat down with each other and had a serious talk about "what would you do if?" issues, such as:

- What would you do if you survive your SO? Remarry or stay single?
- What would you do if your SO became permantently vegetative or comatose?
- What would you do if your SO became terminally ill and wanted to end their life rather than suffer? Would you support them? Would you be able to veto a doctor's decision concerning a life-support issue?

I know that, for me, we had talked about most of these issues many times over the years, so when the time came to put thoughts into action I've been pretty clear about my direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Yes, all that and much more. We have living wills, medical power of attorney, financial power of attorney, etc., etc. completed. It's not fun to think about, but so much less stressful to deal with before you're faced with the situation.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I suspect that many couples have these sorts of conversations when they get older. I know my Mother and StepFather have discussed their wishes regarding medical care now that they're both about 80 years old. Of course accidents and illnesses can happen at any age so it would be a very good idea to address those issues once your have a SO in your life. I don't happen to have a SO but I have been an IO (insignificant other) several times in my life so those matters weren't of any importance.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
We have not really discussed anything at length although I do know if the time ever comes, that he wants to be cremated.

I won't remarry and he has said he wouldn't either (though I hope he does whatever would make him happy).

As far as living will's and medical directives...we haven't discussed it. I pretty much know how he feels about that with regard to himself.

He knows how I feel with regard to myself....truth be told though, if my parents aren't alive at that point I'd be nervous if he'd follow my wishes or fall under the influenece of his family. His family and mine have completely different views on these kind of issues.

I guess that's more the reason to sit down and discuss.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
The Other Discussions

What do you think I would do if you decided you no longer wanted to work full time?
What do you think I would do if you always refused to clean the kitchen after I made a four-star dinner?
What do you think I would do if anytime I wanted to have mature, reality based discussion about our plans for the future as a couple, you would walk away from me?
What do you think I would do if you always were telling me to suck it up?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I'm always curious how many couples, regardless of age, have sat down with each other and had a serious talk about "what would you do if?" issues, such as:

- What would you do if you survive your SO? Remarry or stay single?
- What would you do if your SO became permantently vegetative or comatose?
- What would you do if your SO became terminally ill and wanted to end their life rather than suffer? Would you support them? Would you be able to veto a doctor's decision concerning a life-support issue?

I know that, for me, we had talked about most of these issues many times over the years, so when the time came to put thoughts into action I've been pretty clear about my direction.
Nope. We've only been together a year or so...I don't think it's important for us, at this time. In another few years, if we are still together, then we'll see.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
[quote=cwaggy;16424048]What do you think I would do if you always refused to clean the kitchen after I made a four-star dinner?
quote]

I hate to laugh, but this comes up in my house ALL the time. When you figure this one out let me know!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Yes, all that and much more. We have living wills, medical power of attorney, financial power of attorney, etc., etc. completed. It's not fun to think about, but so much less stressful to deal with before you're faced with the situation.
We've done these thngs as well. It's comforting to know we're on the same page.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
We've done a lot of this, and we're only in our early thirties. We've both had grandparents with Alzheimer's, grandparents who lost a spouse, etc. and have seen firsthand how important it is to figure this stuff out.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
we have only talked about the second one. we have also talked about other stuff not listed here that are life/death issues. to be honest though, he doesnt like to get into it. i guess he thinks we will jinx ourselves and doesnt want to face it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships