Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 03:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Somewhat, yes.

Girls in their 20s use online dating to set up one night stands with "hot guys", I.e. maybe 10% of the population.

By the time you're in mid 30s they start looking for stability and monogamy from a larger pool of men, but can become really neurotic and hypocritical about what they offer vs. What they want.

The ones you want to avoid are sites where you're expected to send an unsolicited message to a rando. Those are for suckers. You want to be using the swipey apps.
So what you're saying is, just like very young guys, very young women don't want to settle down yet, want to enjoy themselves and don't have their stuff entirely together, because they're, well, young?

i.e. Hypocritical - I see A LOT of marriages all around me with women who are basically good people and said they wanted good, kind, interesting men, married to men who are basically good people and (should you wonder), are good, kind and interesting. But I suppose anyone's experience will be individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Somewhat, yes.

Girls in their 20s use online dating to set up one night stands with "hot guys", I.e. maybe 10% of the population.

By the time you're in mid 30s they start looking for stability and monogamy from a larger pool of men, but can become really neurotic and hypocritical about what they offer vs. What they want.

The ones you want to avoid are sites where you're expected to send an unsolicited message to a rando. Those are for suckers. You want to be using the swipey apps.
Which is all code for for : you missed out on dating them when they were actually fun, and they don't have as much to offer as they used to - but they still expect a dime when they're just a nickel.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Which is code for for : you missed out on dating them when they were actually fun, and they don't have as much to offer as they used to - but they still expect a dime when they're just a nickel.
Uh, no, it is like this: they grew up, which is a normal thing. If you think a grownup is "not fun" and "a nickel," then you may as well leap off a building right now and spare yourself decades of agony because God willing, the mature years are A LOT longer than childhood and very young adulthood.

Maybe it's you who became less fun?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Which is all code for for : you missed out on dating them when they were actually fun, and they don't have as much to offer as they used to - but they still expect a dime when they're just a nickel.
More or less, Although I didn't miss out on dating in my 20s. But I did see that there were a tiny % of my friends, like one out of every few dozen, that racked up hundreds of sexual encounters.

I remember having a one night stand with this girl in my early 20s, and the next morning she tells me she has a boyfriend, and has been making him wait until marriage before she would have sex. That is the sort of thing I mean. A lot of formerly-loose women hold future hypothetical husbands to really hilarious moral standards. But if you're hot enough none of those standards apply to you.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM

290 posts, read 214,421 times
Quote:
More or less, Although I didn't miss out on dating in my 20s. But I did see that there were a tiny % of my friends, like one out of every few dozen, that racked up hundreds of sexual encounters.

I remember having a one night stand with this girl in my early 20s, and the next morning she tells me she has a boyfriend, and has been making him wait until marriage before she would have sex. That is the sort of thing I mean. A lot of formerly-loose women hold future hypothetical husbands to really hilarious moral standards.
i wouldnt ever have got into a relationship where she made me wait till marriage for sex in the first place. boyfriend was/is a sucker.

or i would have her as my girlfriend...but have a side girl for sex. for all she knew, her boyfriend probably did have a side girl....so joke was probably on her.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:19 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kCity33 View Post
i wouldnt ever have got into a relationship where she made me wait till marriage for sex in the first place. boyfriend was/is a sucker.

or i would have her as my girlfriend...but have a side girl for sex. for all she knew, her boyfriend probably did have a side girl....so joke was probably on her.
Because people and relationships are great subjects for jokes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2016, 11:50 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Uh, no, it is like this: they grew up, which is a normal thing. If you think a grownup is "not fun" and "a nickel," then you may as well leap off a building right now and spare yourself decades of agony because God willing, the mature years are A LOT longer than childhood and very young adulthood.

Maybe it's you who became less fun?
I'm more active than a lot of people in their 20's that's why a lot of women my age aren't a good match for me. I need to go for younger and definitely someone w/ no children. I'm not dating someone that gave up on life because they hit 35 and have the "Oh been there done that" attitude. Dating is supposed to be fun and about making memories and getting to know someone over time.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:52 AM

77 posts, read 59,723 times
Well, according to my taste this is a bit "picky" taste on your side...

Old 12-23-2016, 12:42 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,998 times
RE: the whole kik thing. Some people do not like giving out their phone numbers until they go out with someone. Seems odd, I know, but apparently they are afraid of people Googling the number and getting personal info and then stalking them or whatever. So the fact that she asked to get on it isn't a huge red flag, but the fact that she refused to chat anymore unless OP got on it is. Sounds like some sort of bot/scam.

The first girl was just bored and playing around with the OP. As has been posted previously, plenty of people in OLD will NEVER actually go out on a date with you for whatever reason: social anxiety, lying in their profile/pictures, catfishing, already married, "just seeing what's out there", bored, etc.

The biggest takeaway the OP could get from this is to not message people for weeks or even days. Get their number and/or set up a date within a couple of days/about 5-10 messages. If they give you "It's too soon" or "I need to get to know you better" they will probably never meet you in person. Dating is where you get to know people. You can know more about someone after meeting them in 5 minutes than years of texting/messaging/Skyping.

And keep the first date something simple!!! I cannot emphasize this enough. Drinks, coffee, a walk, whatever. Do NOT waste a lot of time/money on first dates from people you meet from OLD. If you like the person, you can always do more. There are a lot of gold-diggers or people who just want to use others for free drinks/meals. Make them prove they are worth your time and money before you start investing it.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:

I remember having a one night stand with this girl in my early 20s, and the next morning she tells me she has a boyfriend, and has been making him wait until marriage before she would have sex. That is the sort of thing I mean. A lot of formerly-loose women hold future hypothetical husbands to really hilarious moral standards. But if you're hot enough none of those standards apply to you.
Those are always comically epic finds while browsing POF and whatnot.

From a profile of a woman who wants a devout Christian guy and just knocked out a kid with a fling:

"I attend church. Been divorced 5 yrs now. Im looking for a family man. If you are looking for a hook up or a one night stand dont bother sending me a msg!!!"

Yikes. I'm sure devout Christian guys are waiting in iine to get her off POF. (They're not.). She doesn't want any more kids so if you're a straight and narrow fellow, you're SOL.

Bonus, from a never married mother of two, with two different babydaddies:

"I like guys who are intelligent, masculine, attractive, confident, and honest."

Keep in mind that she is three years older (39) than her profile shows (I've seen her on match, when I had a profile there, so that's dubious and very honest. ) presumably to get more of that 26-40 bracket she desires. Though, I thought guys in their 20s weren't that big on being stepdads, but what do I know?

So, OP, to answer your question, "No."

Just get off OD sites, though. If dabbling on OKC like I do every so often to pass time was my only social option, I'd have taken a leap. My options are way better than what visits me on that site. At least they understand "Don't" under the part where I say they should message me, because most would be pissing in the wind doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships