Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:41 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm not sure this is realistic. I'm sure a lot of women (and men) aren't in relationships with their ideal physical type but that doesn't mean that they don't find their partners attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain;
There is more to attraction that ticking off boxes on some sort of list of physical preferences
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain;
Do I have preferences? Sure, but there are just that: preferences. They aren't requirements. I find all sorts of men attractive and I have dated short and tall men, thin, overweight or muscly, blond and dark haired guys. As long as she is attracted to you, what does it matter?

These. OP, wouldn't you prefer that your partner value you for who you are, rather than your current physical state, which, trust me, will morph significantly as you age?

You may think you'll continue to work out all your life, but when you lose a significant amount of T and HGH, you won't be able to maintain your muscle mass to the same extent, and the hormonal changes could cause you to develop a thicker middle. And there's nothing you can do if your hair decides to abandon ship. At that point, you'd better hope your partner was into you more because of your character than the transient physical qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 12:41 PM

405 posts, read 327,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
There is more to attraction that ticking off boxes on some sort of list of physical preferences
I know that, but physical attraction matters a lot too. It still wouldn't be a good feeling to know you don't match a lot of your partners preferences in terms of physical looks. Maybe it gets to me more since I want a woman to find me really attractive physically as well as in an emotional sense in terms of how my personality is to her.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:42 PM

914 posts, read 740,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
In my experience, if a man does not meet the criteria the woman has set up to a tee, they will find themselves texting after the date without ever hearing response back. aka ghosted.
Sure, sometimes I'm just not feeling physically attracted. More often than not though, when I'm not interested in a second date, it has to do with a lack of attraction to my date's personality rather than any physical preferences I might have.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. OP, wouldn't you prefer that your partner value you for who you are, rather than your current physical state, which, trust me, will morph significantly as you age?
But I just wouldn't want the physical attraction to be sort of one sided. If I find her way more physically attractive than she does for me how would that ever work out? I know it's not just about physical looks of course I get that but physical looks are really important otherwise online dating wouldn't be as shallow as it is where some apps are literally just based on how you look.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,658,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
But I just wouldn't want the physical attraction to be sort of one sided. If I find her way more physically attractive than she does for me how would that ever work out? I know it's not just about physical looks of course I get that but physical looks are really important otherwise online dating wouldn't be as shallow as it is where some apps are literally just based on how you look.
Yes, it would be great if both people were equally physically attracted to each other. But assuming you can't find this, would you prefer to just be single or would you prefer to "settle" for a woman who is much more attracted to you than you are to her?

Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yes, it would be great if both people were equally physically attracted to each other. But assuming you can't find this, would you prefer to just be single or would you prefer to "settle" for a woman who is much more attracted to you than you are to her?
If there wasn't much physical attraction on my part I wouldn't be with her to begin with. Call it shallow or whatever but I just wouldn't be able to do it. It would bother me too much if there's not much attraction on my part & I wouldn't want to waste either of our time since it wouldn't be fair to either of us. So to answer your question, yeah I would prefer to be single since what good is being with someone I'm not that attracted to?

Old 12-11-2016, 01:10 PM

11,828 posts, read 12,087,739 times
Quote:
How do you plan to quantify "finding someone way more physically attractive"?

Old 12-11-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
How do you plan to quantify "finding someone way more physically attractive"?
As time goes on you'll be able to tell by the things she says among other things like not many compliments about your physical features etc.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:17 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,658,481 times
Quote:
If there wasn't much physical attraction on my part I wouldn't be with her to begin with. Call it shallow or whatever but I just wouldn't be able to do it. It would bother me too much if there's not much attraction on my part & I wouldn't want to waste either of our time since it wouldn't be fair to either of us. So to answer your question, yeah I would prefer to be single since what good is being with someone I'm not that attracted to?
I agree, but I think a lot of people find something to like about the other person even if they aren't their ideal physical type just because they want to have sex, have a life partner, have a kid, etc. My dad was never my mom's type and even though she could attract guys who were her type, she decided that she liked other things about my dad. Not to say that they lived happily ever after, but basically I was the result of a woman settling for a man who wasn't her type so I assume it happens a lot. lol

Old 12-11-2016, 01:21 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:
It works out great for many happy couples where the woman is attractive and the guy is a shlump or what used to be called a "weakling", a shortie, or whatever. And for the couples where the guy is really good-looking and the woman is average or "meh".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships