Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 03:32 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How did you bring it up? Did he feel like you were trying to start a fight because of your own background?
I initially asked him: Are you Christian? He told me no.

Alright, fine.

Then I told him:

- You know, I checked your Facebook profile a bit and I saw quite a lot of pages pertaining to Judaism.

His response:

- You know, I'm not stupid. I know you're going to ask me if I'm Jewish. I'm an atheist.

Then he got mad. That was it. We stopped talking about it right there. I was not going to pick up a fight at all. I was legitimately curious.

He's the one who has this strange fascination with my background. He's always using Arab words and asking me about my 'Arab' background which I already told him. I don't have a whole lot of affiliation to it. Yet, he keeps bringing it up.

Just a few minutes ago, I was talking to him about his job interview and he used an Arab word in the conversation out of the blue. That's weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 03:34 PM

119 posts, read 78,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I initially asked him: Are you Christian? He told me no.

Alright, fine.

Then I told him:

- You know, I checked your Facebook profile a bit and I saw quite a lot of pages pertaining to Judaism.

His response:

- You know, I'm not stupid. I know you're going to ask me if I'm Jewish. I'm an atheist.

Then he got mad. That was it. We stopped talking about it right there.
He sounds combative, I couldn't date someone that rude

Old 12-13-2016, 03:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Exclamation When God is standing between you and your man ....

Quote:
Hi all,

I have been seeing this guy since October and I noticed something strange about his approach to religion. Whenever I try to touch on the subject, he gets mad and claims he's an atheist. I don't have any judgment on the matter, it's fine.

The problem is he claims he's an atheist, yet on his Facebook page, he always likes Jewish pages, follows 'Jewish students' pages, likes Jewish posts in hebrew ... so on and so forth. Even his name is in hebrew (in brackets) on Facebook! I understand he may have been brought up in the Jewish faith which he may or may not have departed from, but he always get mad when we talk about religion and keeps saying he's atheist.

Another issue is since I have Middle-Eastern roots, he assumes I'm Muslim which we have discussed to extreme lengths already and he knows my stance on religion. Hence, he shouldn't feel afraid of telling me about his 'supposed' Jewish background. It's written all over his Facebook yet he won't tell me. He's never told me about religion period aside from the usual 'I'm an atheist'.

I don't understand. He's even open about it with his friends who seem to have given him a Jewish nickname, yet with me, it's taboo. I feel as though at this stage, we're fine to talk about religion, especially as we've known each other for two years!

He's got no problem using Arab words to tease me though he knows I have no affiliation to my roots, but he can't bring himself to open up a bit about his.

Why is he so sensitive with me? What is wrong with him?

Many thanks!
When God is standing between you and your man ....

This has been the sore spot in any serious relationships I have every had.
You better sort this out now because honestly religious differences and views can turn a relationship in to hell on earth especailly if you plan on possibly marrying at this point.
To date this is my WORST mistake in life ... avoiding engaging in relationships with men what have different religious views then me. In my experience it does not get better .... and usually gets worse. The GOD factor as I call it can hugely impact just about all aspects of a person's life even if they don't realize it.
TALK about it when him.
Avoid a chronic pain in the butt marriage like mine.
This might not seem like a big deal now ... but you might want to know if advance because once you have kids with someone this situation can blow up in your face ( at least it did with me).

Jews, Jehova Witness and Muslims ... I am Catholic and not religious and always end up with these men with deep root religious reviews.

For your own sanity have a direct talk with him and get the heck out of the situation if your views are that drastic unless to can agree upon things now.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome2300 View Post
He sounds combative, I couldn't date someone that rude
I have a fair bit of patience, but I still got annoyed because my question though inquisitive was not a personal attack!

To me, it's too soon to tell, so I'm awaiting to see what transpires before making a decision.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:38 PM

I brought the subject matter up because I thought I wanted to get a sense of who he is first. Yet, he's keeping that damn door closed.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:40 PM

FYI Ruth - Yes, he does support IDF. He's European though, so maybe he has a different approach to the whole thing. I know a lot of Jews in France, Belgium and other European countries do support them.

To be fair, I don't see why he'd support IDF if he wasn't affiliated to a certain degree. I can't see any 'atheist' supporting them.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
When God is standing between you and your man ....

This has been the sore spot in any serious relationships I have every had.
You better sort this out now because honestly religious differences and views can turn a relationship in to hell on earth especailly if you plan on possibly marrying at this point.
To date this is my WORST mistake in life ... avoiding engaging in relationships with men what have different religious views then me. In my experience it does not get better .... and usually gets worse. The GOD factor as I call it can hugely impact just about all aspects of a person's life even if they don't realize it.
TALK about it when him.
Avoid a chronic pain in the butt marriage like mine.
This might not seem like a big deal now ... but you might want to know if advance because once you have kids with someone this situation can blow up in your face ( at least it did with me).
He claims they have no religious differences, though. She apparently isn't an active adherent of Islam, and he says he's not a practicing Jew. And she DID try to talk to him about it; that's why she's posting here. He wouldn't allow a conversation.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

He's the one who has this strange fascination with my background. He's always using Arab words and asking me about my 'Arab' background which I already told him. I don't have a whole lot of affiliation to it. Yet, he keeps bringing it up.

Just a few minutes ago, I was talking to him about his job interview and he used an Arab word in the conversation out of the blue. That's weird.
hmm.... Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode about something like this? I think he has a personal agenda of some kind behind choosing you for a gf. That's kind of "ew". It's like you're just a token to him, because of your background. Like he wants to show off to someone that he has an Arab gf. I'd drop him. There are too many issues in the way of a genuine relationship.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He claims they have no religious differences, though. She apparently isn't an active adherent of Islam, and he says he's not a practicing Jew. And she DID try to talk to him about it; that's why she's posting here. He wouldn't allow a conversation.
Yep. This is what he claims, but I am wondering if it is true.

I won't ever know if he won't allow just even the word 'Judaism' or Jewish to be used by me in front of him!

I don't care that he's Jewish or an atheist, I just want to know more about him and his background. Even if he were a practicing Jew, I wouldn't care! Unless he is and he doesn't want to admit it to keep seeing me.

The worst part is I had the audacity to once mention I wanted to convert to Judaism (before even bringing his own background up - Yes this is a true story that happened many many years ago) and he got mad. This is ridiculous.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
hmm.... Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode about something like this? I think he has a personal agenda of some kind behind choosing you for a gf. That's kind of "ew". It's like you're just a token to him, because of your background. Like he wants to show off to someone that he has an Arab gf. I'd drop him. There are too many issues in the way of a genuine relationship.
I thought of it, but the good part of me thinks no one can be that malicious?! Especially since we both moved abroad where he has no 'real friends'. All of his 'real' and non-Jewish friends are in his home country. I wonder who he'd like to show off to? His parents? That'd be going a bit far.

Yet, part of me thinks he indeed has some kind of agenda to 'prove' something to someone/himself. Maybe he has this fantasy of the 'forbidden fruit'/Arab girl. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships