Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 07:45 PM

10 posts, read 7,908 times

Advertisements

New here on CD. I thought I'd ask opinions on preferences of the type of mate they're attracted to. Namely, are you more drawn to the talkative, social person with a lot of friends, or the reserved, quiet person who often spends time alone. Or somewhere in the middle?

Personally, I've always been more drawn to the cute (cute to me, at least) female alone in the corner of the library reading a book, or the one at the social gathering who doesn't say much. Opposed to the social butterfly who is always around a group of people...and usually likes to talk...a lot. While they're what is considered "friendly", I've never found them particularly interesting, despite them often having a lot to say. The reserved women are often harder to get to know, but I'm more interested in striking up a conversation with them. Not to mention I've found they're more independent thinkers who aren't concerned with impressing anyone, unlike Social Susie (though I did briefly date one quiet girl who was a sociopath, but...). I'm assuming it's also true if you flip genders...though maybe not.

Given that I'm more on the quiet side probably explains the reason I prefer quiet types. Likewise, I'd bet most social women prefer more social, talkative men. Opposites do sometimes attract, but I suspect the majority of quiet types find the wordy socialites annoying, while the rabid social talker finds the quiet person somewhat abnormal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Welcome to the forum mate

Yes I prefer an outgoing, social and confident type ( like myself ) for sure, However with the shy/quiet type I find they are only that way with people they don't know, So by making them feel comfortable and relaxed around me then they'll be talkative and more confident with me which is great

So I'm relatively easy on which type... As I genuinely believe I can adapt and adjust and still be me for the right lady

Old 12-20-2016, 08:16 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
I've never been drawn to the loud, talkative, has to be the centre of attention type. I'm also not drawn to the recluse in the corner. I am a social person so I prefer to chat with other social people who are good communicators and listeners. I'd be drawn to the person holding a good conversation with a couple of other people.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:17 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
I like both.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
I prefer more introvert myself. Not someone who has to constantly be center of attention, or constantly on the run. But as Liberty said, not a recluse either.

I would prefer a more quiet and down to earth guy. We could go out and be social of course, do activities, etc. But he also appreciates the more quiet side of life. Like perhaps a day where we get together at whoever's house, and just chill and relax. Read books together. Watch a film. Or just lie down together and enjoy peace and quiet.

I was always one for cozy intimate settings, with small number of close people. Just personal taste.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:26 PM

52,273 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Social butterfly types wear me out. You need a certain amount of that in life otherwise things would be pretty dull if everyone is a quiet loner type.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Social butterfly types wear me out. You need a certain amount of that in life otherwise things would be pretty dull if everyone is a quiet loner type.
That's what she said.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:39 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Somewhere in the middle works best for me.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
I can handle any type except for crazy lunatic. Last girlfriend was the yappy yap social type always with her friends doing something (always a need to be around people). The one before her, was a houser stay home.

I think, Im more inline with something in the middle.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,774 times
As long as she's not an annoying "chatty cathy", or the type that nags and fusses about every teeny tiny thing, or so quiet that getting her to talk and/or getting her out in public is like pulling teeth...it's probably fine with me.

I think the middle ground between "social bee" and "quiet type" is quite large, and I also think that the majority of people are within that middle ground. There's also plenty of variation within the "social bees" and within the quiet types. For instance, some social bees are irritating (usually because they lack awareness) while other social bees are almost always engaging in an enjoyable way. Plus, some usually-outgoing people get in the mood for a quiet activity every once in awhile. Most people are complex and dynamic and aren't easily categorized into neat little boxes.

For me, I think that somewhere in the middle or the quiet type (without being a recluse) is more likely to be appealing. But in addition, it'd be nice if she was at least somewhat comfortable and capable in a variety of situations (regardless of whether her personality is outgoing, quiet or somewhere in-between)...
- social gatherings with lots of people and mingling (parties, etc.)
- smaller-scale social get-togethers with just a few friends
- alone
- professional settings
- family events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships